Computers & Electronics

Is Nvidia shield really the best media box?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 8:21 pm
Nov 26, 2003
573 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
jarko wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:49 pm
media player box with kodi etc. I don't know, the mi box just seems like a slightly better version than the cheap android boxes. Surprised they haven't updated the thing, I'm guessing nvidia updates their software frequently?
For Android TV, there's really no difference what version of Android its running under the hood. Visually, there's no difference, tho some people maybe be inclined to think newer = better, but it's all placebo for Android TV.

I've heard nothing but great things with the Shield TV and you really can't go wrong if you can afford it. Hell, this thing is so great, Nvidia kept the same CPU for the 2017 version lol

The mi box with Android TV will still beat out any cheap chinese hack job android boxes.
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Mar 14, 2017
41 posts
9 upvotes
I think a mac mini is a pretty decent box, get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and you're set. You can find like 2014-2016 model for around 300-600 bucks (make sure to get atleast 64gb of ssd).
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1922 posts
108 upvotes
jarko wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 10:53 pm
What do you mean by casting the hockey games? Like streams from reddit?
no from apps like nhl.com etc you press cast and it plays right from the Shield instead.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7605 posts
2952 upvotes
East York
right now it's a bit pricey at almost $300, but if you can get it discounted for around $250-$270 it's good

it's even been under $200 earlier on a few occasions, and that's when I bought a few for my TVs in the house
eternity525 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:11 am
Hell, this thing is so great, Nvidia kept the same CPU for the 2017 version lol
there's no specs difference in the 2017 version, and in fact it's actually a little worse in that it doesn't have a physical power button, or as good cooling as the older one

the new controller is a lot better though
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1251 posts
177 upvotes
BC
I have both the Shield and Mi Box. You don't need all that processor power to play video files. Simply put , I'm returning the Shield. At $100 (after US conversion) the Mi Box plays videos the same as Shield. Possessing a PS4 and Xbox One I don't need another Gaming machine. The Mi Box is a perfect replacement for my aging WDTV live Hub. I have a 65" Panasonic Z Plasma so I'm not interested in 4K. of which there is not much anyway.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I returned my cheap mxq pro for an m9s pro (at $130 or 2.5 times the price of the mxq pro). Mxq pro was stable but just slow. M9s pro is faster but buggy as f. The preinstalled kodi build was garbage. Didn't even come with iptv simple client. Had to wipe it and install kodi 17 and now I'm having problems with a few of my addons. Paying an extra $75 for garbage doesn't really sit well with me.

I might just return it and pony up $300 for another shield so at least I can keep my sanity intact.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5261 posts
659 upvotes
insync44 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 8:15 pm
I have both the Shield and Mi Box. You don't need all that processor power to play video files. Simply put , I'm returning the Shield. At $100 (after US conversion) the Mi Box plays videos the same as Shield. Possessing a PS4 and Xbox One I don't need another Gaming machine. The Mi Box is a perfect replacement for my aging WDTV live Hub. I have a 65" Panasonic Z Plasma so I'm not interested in 4K. of which there is not much anyway.
You have better PQ on a Z plasma than any 4k TV anyhow. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1168 posts
233 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 3:17 am
The deal breaker for me with the Mi box is the lack of an Ethernet port
I thought this too, but still got one. And the wifi actually works great on it, I was surprised as I don't have any AC router. Having said that, I got this for another purpose, and it's supported, just plugged it in and it works: https://www.amazon.ca/Network-Adapter-E ... 00MYT481C/

Also, check this out: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comm ... on_mi_box/

Don't let this stop you, I have 1 x 2015 fireTV, 1 x 2016 fireTV, and 1 fireTV stick and I'm considering getting rid of all 3 of these and replace them with the Mi Box.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7033 posts
943 upvotes
Winnipeg
vodka wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 10:27 am
Don't let this stop you, I have 1 x 2015 fireTV, 1 x 2016 fireTV, and 1 fireTV stick and I'm considering getting rid of all 3 of these and replace them with the Mi Box.
The reason I never bought mi-box was because for legit apps i already own a ftv 1 and 2 sticks. The first version stick still gets updates has 24p auto refesh rate and all the hd apps are working. Other than hevc I don't see the need.

I did buy on BF 30 usd fire stick 2 and it supports Ac and hevc at 1080p. I don't own a 4k tv nor have the bandwidth for 4k streaming for say multiple other tv's. I'll be at 1080p for sometime no complaints tho.
you may find this interesting
http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-amazo ... android-7/

the sticks a good buy probably best bang for buck when on sale.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1168 posts
233 upvotes
lead wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:20 pm
The reason I never bought mi-box was because for legit apps i already own a ftv 1 and 2 sticks. The first version stick still gets updates has 24p auto refesh rate and all the hd apps are working. Other than hevc I don't see the need.

I did buy on BF 30 usd fire stick 2 and it supports Ac and hevc at 1080p. I don't own a 4k tv nor have the bandwidth for 4k streaming for say multiple other tv's. I'll be at 1080p for sometime no complaints tho.
you may find this interesting
http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-amazo ... android-7/

the sticks a good buy probably best bang for buck when on sale.
Interesting post. Having tried the mi box, with native android (no skin) and access to the play store, as well as the built in IR receiver (which I will test with my harmony 650) I'm less enamoured with the fireTVs where I've had to get USB IR receivers to use a universal remote.

It seems like the mi box is playing the OTA (via hdhomerun) a bit better as well (I love the Live Channels feature).
I just want a box for Netflix (supported) and Kodi - for me, the mi box looks like it fits that need better than firetV. I don't have many apps bought from the Amazon store, so this isn't s show stopper.

Also, I noticed a VPN feature on mi box, but can't seem to use it - is there a way, anyone know? It would be good to be able to use this on each device rather than on my router; on fireTV this is not possible.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7033 posts
943 upvotes
Winnipeg
vodka wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:00 pm
Interesting post. Having tried the mi box, with native android (no skin) and access to the play store, as well as the built in IR receiver (which I will test with my harmony 650) I'm less enamoured with the fireTVs where I've had to get USB IR receivers to use a universal remote.

It seems like the mi box is playing the OTA (via hdhomerun) a bit better as well (I love the Live Channels feature).
I just want a box for Netflix (supported) and Kodi - for me, the mi box looks like it fits that need better than firetV. I don't have many apps bought from the Amazon store, so this isn't s show stopper.

Also, I noticed a VPN feature on mi box, but can't seem to use it - is there a way, anyone know? It would be good to be able to use this on each device rather than on my router; on fireTV this is not possible.
the ota live channel is bad at my location maybe 3-5 with external antenna not a good investment. I only do it for local news.

I use cec and the mi-box with cec has had nothing but issues at their forums.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1103 posts
153 upvotes
whats the cheapest price fo this shield? any hot deals
Add me on PSN: hubu2017 SFV ps4 aka Mikka1989
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15609 posts
4372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
mikka2017 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 5:28 pm
whats the cheapest price fo this shield? any hot deals
Nope. $290 through Amazon. Some people were getting a few % off using ebates. Plus if you use an Amazon visa you'd get 2% cash back.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game