None
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18898 posts
4017 upvotes
Thornhill

Nvidia Shield TV Android thread

Been wondering how other RFD'ers are with their Shield TV. With the last 3.0 Marshmellow update, its broken some things but fixed others. Opinions are all over the place on the official forums.

I reluctantly updated to the 3.0 update, as I felt I didn't need to fix what wasn't broken, but Kodi started crashing more often and Gamestream stopped working. After the update, Kodi/SPMC is stable and Gamestream kinda works (3 controllers max, 4th controller acts as the 1st controller) in co-op, but streaming single player 1080p60 games are flawless. Still, there are tons of problems according to their forums.
880 replies
May 7, 2010
74 posts
48 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 10:43 am
Been wondering how other RFD'ers are with their Shield TV. With the last 3.0 Marshmellow update, its broken some things but fixed others. Opinions are all over the place on the official forums.

I reluctantly updated to the 3.0 update, as I felt I didn't need to fix what wasn't broken, but Kodi started crashing more often and Gamestream stopped working. After the update, Kodi/SPMC is stable and Gamestream kinda works (3 controllers max, 4th controller acts as the 1st controller) in co-op, but streaming single player 1080p60 games are flawless. Still, there are tons of problems according to their forums.
Haven't had any issues with mine even with the update. SPMC, Sling and Gamestream work great for me. Plex is also great, with DD and DTS Passthrough working as well.
Feb 8, 2011
512 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Gamestream has been a huge pain in my ass, I can't get it to stream local it always goes remote. I think once I have gotten it to go local but that was it, not sure if it's my virus scan or not but I assumed that that would just prevent it work all together. There are also times that I can't connect at all. Everything is wired for me. what are your guys setups like?
Kodi works great for me right now and so does Plex. It's also shut itself off twice now in the past month.
May 7, 2010
74 posts
48 upvotes
k1ll4hb33 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 11:04 am
Gamestream has been a huge pain in my ass, I can't get it to stream local it always goes remote. I think once I have gotten it to go local but that was it, not sure if it's my virus scan or not but I assumed that that would just prevent it work all together. There are also times that I can't connect at all. Everything is wired for me. what are your guys setups like?
Kodi works great for me right now and so does Plex. It's also shut itself off twice now in the past month.
My Gaming PC is running Windows 10 Pro with a GTX 950 card. Everything is also wired for me.
Feb 8, 2011
512 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
I am running 7 with a 960. Are you just using windows defender for virus, or what ever 10 calls it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18898 posts
4017 upvotes
Thornhill
k1ll4hb33 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 11:04 am
That's unfortunate to hear, when gamestream works its great. What antivirus, firewall, etc are you using?
Feb 8, 2011
512 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah when it is working it is great, just wish it was more consistent.
Antivirus is ESET NOD32, firewall is off and geforce and all that stuff is up to date.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2610 posts
1225 upvotes
Calgary
running fw3.0 on spmc/kodi & have nothing but love for my shield tv. its rock solid stable, fast & is great for a simple gaming console. luv luv luv the new spmc 16.2 voice recog search feature - its a game changer for me. dont have a gaming pc so havent tried gamestream at all (for more serious gaming i have my xbone).

i did have a problem with the shield bouncing me back to homescreen while streaming various apps (incld kodi) & for the longest time, i thought it was a fw issue. then i read something about the remote being the culprit so i de-paired the remote & only used the controller. lo & behold, no more bouncing back to homescreen issues! nvidia cs has been amazing & after a single chat session (& a coupla macro pics of remote s/n), nvidia shipped me a brand remote via expedited fedex (tags says shippping cost @usd$49 :-0 ). awesome awesome cs :D

so far, zero complaints!
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18898 posts
4017 upvotes
Thornhill
I can't get voice to work on spmc 16, any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind, its in the software keyboard, under 'IP'.
May 7, 2010
74 posts
48 upvotes
k1ll4hb33 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 11:20 am
I am running 7 with a 960. Are you just using windows defender for virus, or what ever 10 calls it.
Yep. Windows Defender. Doesn't give me any problems when gaming on my PC or on my Shield.
Feb 8, 2011
512 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
HM that's interesting I have had the bouncing back to home screen issue too, also when the remote is low on batteries i can't use voice search.

Thanks stick, I think I may drop nod32 and just use windows defender and see if that helps. nod32 has been a bit of a pain anyways so this might make things easier.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15573 posts
20012 upvotes
ONTARIO
scotsum wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 1:32 pm
running fw3.0 on spmc/kodi & have nothing but love for my shield tv. its rock solid stable, fast & is great for a simple gaming console. luv luv luv the new spmc 16.2 voice recog search feature - its a game changer for me. dont have a gaming pc so havent tried gamestream at all (for more serious gaming i have my xbone).

i did have a problem with the shield bouncing me back to homescreen while streaming various apps (incld kodi) & for the longest time, i thought it was a fw issue. then i read something about the remote being the culprit so i de-paired the remote & only used the controller. lo & behold, no more bouncing back to homescreen issues! nvidia cs has been amazing & after a single chat session (& a coupla macro pics of remote s/n), nvidia shipped me a brand remote via expedited fedex (tags says shippping cost @usd$49 :-0 ). awesome awesome cs :D

so far, zero complaints!
In a future update (maybe the next one?) we'll probably see a proper voice search feature. No more needing to click IP on the soft keyboard to activate the voice search. You will be able to click the voice search button on the Shield remote to activate it.
Nov 3, 2003
54 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking to purchase this device. Can one of you check the app store and see the Bell Fibe TV App is available to be installed. That is what I use for live TValong with Kodi and Plex.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2610 posts
1225 upvotes
Calgary
k1ll4hb33 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 2:58 pm
HM that's interesting I have had the bouncing back to home screen issue too, also when the remote is low on batteries i can't use voice search
sounds like we have the same issue. go to nvidia's official site & start a chat. nvidia knows of this issue & there's no hassle involved for a replacement remote. actually the hardest part was taking a macro pic of tiny s/n for verification.
BobSagget wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 3:04 pm
In a future update (maybe the next one?) we'll probably see a proper voice search feature. No more needing to click IP on the soft keyboard to activate the voice search. You will be able to click the voice search button on the Shield remote to activate it.
that would the icing on the cake but im already mega stoked we have voice recog search. makes life so much better on kodi/spmc.

btw for those looking for an awesome easy to navigate full featured addons kodi build, check out PULSE CCM kodi build. its awesome :)
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
6695 posts
1154 upvotes
I am just waiting to find out how long the Shield will be around before it goes the way of the Asus Cube !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

jaygee81