• Jul 16th, 2018 1:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4111 posts
666 upvotes
Kingston
I was already on Oreo and got another update. Not sure what the difference is. Must just be bug fixes.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
Tha DraGun wrote:
Jun 27th, 2018 8:19 pm
I was already on Oreo and got another update. Not sure what the difference is. Must just be bug fixes.
I just saw the update as well on my Shield that is already running 7.0.1.
Apparently this update is 7.0.2.

Mine isn't updating though. It downloads and I tell it to install and reboot but on reboot it just shows the exact same upgrade is available again at the top. Settings shows i'm still on 7.0.1

I did root my Shield for the first time a few days ago (to give proper fire tv remote support) and maybe that's why. i don't know, I am new to rooting.

Edit: Trying the download again seemed to do the trick. Running on 7.0.2 now. Lost root though lol. Oh well I will just root it again. Although installing everything from scratch again will be annoying.

Edit2: Damn so rerooting was dead easy and I didn't even lose any of my installed apps. Hell yeah.
Main reason I want root is so I can have full control over my Fire TV remote, as I prefer it over the Shield accessories.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2481 posts
264 upvotes
Anyone know if this fixes the choppy video in YouTube and Netflix that has plagued the sheild for a while now?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1318 posts
192 upvotes
BC
Updated yesterday. Everything went perfectly fine.
China: The Country responsible for huge technological advances yet it can't seem to get Pandas to mate.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2106 posts
409 upvotes
JonSnow wrote:
Jun 27th, 2018 11:38 pm
Anyone know if this fixes the choppy video in YouTube and Netflix that has plagued the sheild for a while now?
Can't say I've seen it in YouTube but I do see it in Netflix from time to time with a gigabit connection. So annoying. Fingers crossed.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2532 posts
1144 upvotes
Calgary
did the upgrade lastnight when I got home. I think I like the V6 interface better but that said, it didnt take me long to figure it out.

Looking back, while I did a bit of humm & hawing on the (relatively high) price on this before pulling the trigger, I gotta say this Shield TV has been one of the best (if not the best) entertainment investments I've made. In this age of 6mth - 1yr lifespans throwaways, who'd have thunked that after closing in on my 3rd year of ownership, my Shield TV is still one of the most advanced TV boxes on the market & still getting updates! + Nvidia's CS has been awesome on the remote issue I had in the 1st year.

Awesome product!
Sep 19, 2005
240 posts
4 upvotes
Too bad the update doesn't add features like:
- YouTube HDR
- Automatic resolution/frame rate/Colour space changes for all apps (netflix/prime/etc) so videos display at their native output when possible (and let the TV do the upscaling if needed)
kodi/spmc/mrmc already do it, but I think it only changes res/frame rate and not colour space. If there's a colorspace difference, shield tv will convert it internally before output
Oct 11, 2013
390 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
hey guys im wondering if the shield is worth getting? i currently have goo bang doo box and it feels un responsive and no updates. How is the shield compared to the Chinese boxes?
Mar 25, 2006
349 posts
44 upvotes
Victoria
JasonA591 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 5:46 pm
hey guys im wondering if the shield is worth getting? i currently have goo bang doo box and it feels un responsive and no updates. How is the shield compared to the Chinese boxes?
There really is no comparison....get a shield if you can afford it (or a MiBox if you can't)
Oct 11, 2013
390 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
brew99 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 5:49 pm
There really is no comparison....get a shield if you can afford it (or a MiBox if you can't)
i can afford it for sure. ill try to pick one up tomorrow. what are the best apks to use for shield?
Mar 25, 2006
349 posts
44 upvotes
Victoria
Depends on what you want to do with the Shield.....I always recommend Kodi as a general media centre, but that's just me. I don't game on mine, so can't help you there.