Nvidia Shield TV Android thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 1:34 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 2, 2016
93 posts
22 upvotes
Good day everyone, has anyone tried seagate expansion 4tb for shield? Just saw this on sale @ bestbuy for 99.99
Link

Planning to store some videos in it and might use it for casual sharing of home made videos to home devices (e.g. Sony Android TV or phones).
I was actually using shield to create some home videos of family trip thru sideloaded GoPro's Quik app (as not skilled to use other Video Editing software).

TIA
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3425 posts
543 upvotes
can the shield do youtube at 60fps 4k and netflix 4k? tia
nm i think it does, heres a chart! hopefully it hits 150$ or less, i have too many devices! appl3 4k , h96plus android box,etc

https://www.androidauthority.com/cast-4 ... tv-773830/

does the shield have google voice/assistant builtin?
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers gigabit VIP using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Aug 20, 2009
6492 posts
1132 upvotes
Grimsby
After a week I have to say I really like the new update. Play Next is nice and works fairly well with most of my apps. Overall customization has been preserved and the whole thing has a much nicer "TV" feel to it. The ability to do content browsing and jump right to items on the home screen is fantastic. The software itself is still very fast and stable. Nvidia has done a great job with this despite having such a shaky platform provider. I hope Google doesn't abandon Android TV, it just needs maturity and support so that the 3rd party ecosystem grows.

My only real complaint is them moving the power and restart options to the About menu but whatever, I don't use them often.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5342 posts
1126 upvotes
Whitby
The update allows Plex library to be stored on external storage, it moves it with a few prompts and frees up (a lot) of internal storage...really nice, a lot of people were filling up the 16gb internal storage with Plex.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1939 posts
164 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Jul 4th, 2018 8:40 pm
The update allows Plex library to be stored on external storage, it moves it with a few prompts and frees up (a lot) of internal storage...really nice, a lot of people were filling up the 16gb internal storage with Plex.
I thought that a Plex library could always go on an external drive, but the problem was the metadata (covers/pics) could not be moved, which made the non-pro Shield useless for a large media library. Has this changed?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5342 posts
1126 upvotes
Whitby
knapper wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 6:26 am
I thought that a Plex library could always go on an external drive, but the problem was the metadata (covers/pics) could not be moved, which made the non-pro Shield useless for a large media library. Has this changed?
Yep, I should have been more detailed, its the meta data that no longer has to be on internal storage. So Plex now works well on 16gb shield with an external hard drive.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1939 posts
164 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 8:07 am
Yep, I should have been more detailed, its the meta data that no longer has to be on internal storage. So Plex now works well on 16gb shield with an external hard drive.
That is wonderful news to me. My library is very large, so I have been running a separate PC 24/7. Now I am not sure if the Shield will handle a local feed, another on the same network (daughter) and one remotely (inlaws). I still may need the PC...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5342 posts
1126 upvotes
Whitby
knapper wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 8:55 am
That is wonderful news to me. My library is very large, so I have been running a separate PC 24/7. Now I am not sure if the Shield will handle a local feed, another on the same network (daughter) and one remotely (inlaws). I still may need the PC...
Be interested to hear, think I read it can serve up 2 1080 feeds at same time without issue but will bog down if all three you mention are trying to access at same time. That might have changed, let us know as I'm in same boat, daughter away at university in the Fall and 2 tv's at home.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1939 posts
164 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 9:14 am
Be interested to hear, think I read it can serve up 2 1080 feeds at same time without issue but will bog down if all three you mention are trying to access at same time. That might have changed, let us know as I'm in same boat, daughter away at university in the Fall and 2 tv's at home.
I will see if I can get it up and everyone using it at once. I have to admit, I am not a video-phile so a lot of the TV shows in my library are only 720P.
Dec 13, 2014
73 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What's the best music player for Android TV?

Currently I'm running music through Kodi and a network drive, but it's a pain to have to create playlists just to list to music if it's more than one song. Is plex better? Or is there a different program that would be better?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3385 posts
835 upvotes
Toronto
where are you guys buying your shield Tv (non-pro) 16GB version from?

Currently looking to make the switch from a MiBox... but don't want to spend more than $200.

Do these boxes ever go on sale?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18828 posts
2065 upvotes
Montreal
mlong813 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 9:17 am
What's the best music player for Android TV?

Currently I'm running music through Kodi and a network drive, but it's a pain to have to create playlists just to list to music if it's more than one song. Is plex better? Or is there a different program that would be better?
Try VLC. It can play off Samba shares.

On another note, does anyone like the new home layout? My head hurts now :(
Aug 4, 2003
562 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
Repooc wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 1:44 pm

Currently looking to make the switch from a MiBox... but don't want to spend more than $200.

I got a second one for 200 + GST off of newegg ebay when ebay had the 20% off coupon a few weeks ago. Good chance they will be on sale during Amazon Prime coming up
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
Repooc wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 1:44 pm

I'd keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse. I've seen them sold as low as $170 in "like new" condition.
Amazon Prime Day is coming up this month. So if the Shield goes on sale at all during this event, it will likely trigger the Amazon Warehouse prices to also drop as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)