Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1942 posts
165 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 1:44 pm
where are you guys buying your shield Tv (non-pro) 16GB version from?

Currently looking to make the switch from a MiBox... but don't want to spend more than $200.

Do these boxes ever go on sale?
I bought a slightly used (return?) one from BH Photo in the US, with remote and controller. All in (duty/customs/delivery) I paid ~$145USD, so under $200. I have yet to see another used one come up there.

As others mentioned, Amazon Warehouse seems to be the best option for a deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1465 posts
402 upvotes
I thought the warehouse deals won't have warranty? I'm definitely buying with my credit card with purchase protection if I get another one. My first broke less than 2 years after I got it.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3505 posts
886 upvotes
Toronto
inocent wrote:
Jul 5th, 2018 11:07 pm
I thought the warehouse deals won't have warranty? I'm definitely buying with my credit card with purchase protection if I get another one. My first broke less than 2 years after I got it.
How does one go about breaking a shield?? Did you physically break it? over heat? or did it just crap out?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1465 posts
402 upvotes
It just stopped working. It won't turn on.

Does this...

Nvidia sent me a new power adapter but that didn't fix it.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15573 posts
20012 upvotes
ONTARIO
I ended up downgrading back to 6.3 in hopes to fix an issue I thought might be in Oreo (my Fire TV remote stopped working and wouldn't pair properly).
However it looks like it might actually be the remote. What a shame. Both because it was a good remote and also because I wiped my whole damn system downgrading to 6.3 in hopes it might fix the issue lol.

I don't understand why it just stopped working. If I go into the accessory pairing menu and try to re-pair it again, it acts as if it's paired for a split second and then stops working again.
Guessing something internally has gone bad.

That's not deterring me from getting another one though. I picked up another Fire TV remote off eBay for $11 shipped. Not too bad of a price for a good remote. Doesn't have voice control, but I found I rarely used it anyway.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1942 posts
165 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:08 pm
I ended up downgrading back to 6.3 in hopes to fix an issue I thought might be in Oreo (my Fire TV remote stopped working and wouldn't pair properly).
However it looks like it might actually be the remote. What a shame. Both because it was a good remote and also because I wiped my whole damn system downgrading to 6.3 in hopes it might fix the issue lol.

I don't understand why it just stopped working. If I go into the accessory pairing menu and try to re-pair it again, it acts as if it's paired for a split second and then stops working again.
Guessing something internally has gone bad.

That's not deterring me from getting another one though. I picked up another Fire TV remote off eBay for $11 shipped. Not too bad of a price for a good remote. Doesn't have voice control, but I found I rarely used it anyway.
Any chance you can test the remote pairing with another device before concluding it's the remote? Sorry ignore, just noticed you bought a new one anyway.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15573 posts
20012 upvotes
ONTARIO
knapper wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 4:26 pm
Any chance you can test the remote pairing with another device before concluding it's the remote? Sorry ignore, just noticed you bought a new one anyway.
Oh yeah, I did that originally. I have another Shield running Oreo and same thing. Seems like it pairs for a split second, then dead. Which is why I thought maybe it was Oreo and downgraded one of my systems to check.

My replacement remote should be here by next week though, so at least I won't have to use the Shield remote for long (I hate it).
May 18, 2007
548 posts
55 upvotes
Sorry for the off-topic, just want letting people know if you don't care about gaming, only Android TV, then there are alternatives out there now: http://www.himediatech.com/, this brand (Himedia) isn't well known in North America, but its well known in China for its long history, it was one of the pioneers in media player box industry. In fact it was in media box market before Xiaomi was born. At my home, I never use XiaoMi but only Himedia (Q5/Q10 series), eGreat and Oppo.
Jun 16, 2009
521 posts
482 upvotes
pr3dat0r wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 5:32 pm
Sorry for the off-topic, just want letting people know if you don't care about gaming, only Android TV, then there are alternatives out there now: http://www.himediatech.com/, this brand (Himedia) isn't well known in North America, but its well known in China for its long history, it was one of the pioneers in media player box industry. In fact it was in media box market before Xiaomi was born. At my home, I never use XiaoMi but only Himedia (Q5/Q10 series), eGreat and Oppo.
Yes tons of alternatives, but I rely on the Shield because I was tired of all the alternatives. They don't have the staying power of the Shield's hardware or offer regular software updates. My original Shield runs as fast as when I bought it at launch, not something I can say for the Chinese alternative Android players I have owned. HiMedia seems ok in comparison to those cheaper ones I guess
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
May 18, 2007
548 posts
55 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 8:45 pm
Yes tons of alternatives, but I rely on the Shield because I was tired of all the alternatives. They don't have the staying power of the Shield's hardware or offer regular software updates. My original Shield runs as fast as when I bought it at launch, not something I can say for the Chinese alternative Android players I have owned. HiMedia seems ok in comparison to those cheaper ones I guess
I guess I didn't make my post clearly. I was talking about Android TV, not those cheaper android boxes.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15573 posts
20012 upvotes
ONTARIO
Got my new replacement Fire TV remote today from China. Came so fast. Never in my life have I received something from China in less than 10 days. Can't believe it only cost me $9 CAD with free shipping.

Anyway, paired it up with my Shield and working perfectly. I already figured as much, but I guess that means the other remote truly is faulty.
These fire tv remotes work great with the Shield, but I wish they had proper volume control buttons out of the box.

Going to re-root the Shield again, so I can modify the key layout file for the remote and make the RW/FF buttons act as volume control.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1942 posts
165 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 2:49 pm
Got my new replacement Fire TV remote today from China. Came so fast. Never in my life have I received something from China in less than 10 days. Can't believe it only cost me $9 CAD with free shipping.

Anyway, paired it up with my Shield and working perfectly. I already figured as much, but I guess that means the other remote truly is faulty.
These fire tv remotes work great with the Shield, but I wish they had proper volume control buttons out of the box.

Going to re-root the Shield again, so I can modify the key layout file for the remote and make the RW/FF buttons act as volume control.
Please update with details on remapping the controls, I would be interested. Based on your previous post about the remote I ordered on from the US Amazon Warehouse, so it's used, but I got it for $5.25USD all in and it arrived at my AmeriFriend's in 2 days and I should get it next week.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15573 posts
20012 upvotes
ONTARIO
knapper wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 3:09 pm
Please update with details on remapping the controls, I would be interested. Based on your previous post about the remote I ordered on from the US Amazon Warehouse, so it's used, but I got it for $5.25USD all in and it arrived at my AmeriFriend's in 2 days and I should get it next week.
Not a bad price at all.
I ordered this one:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/85-New-Original ... 2749.l2649
Made him an offer of $7 USD and he took it immediately. Wondering now if he would have went any lower lol.

Are you rooted or unrooted? Rooted is definitely easier to remap the keys, since you gain access to system files and can modify them right at the source (the key layout files the remote uses to know what commands to send when buttons are pressed), but there's also a couple 3rd party apps that work as well if you do not want to root. Although in my experience they are kind of unreliable and prone to crashing.
The apps are Button Remapper and Multilanguage Keymap Definer.

If you are rooted, it's as simple as accessing system/usr/keylayout
Then you find the file your remote uses (the Amazon Fire TV Stick uses Vendor_1949_Product_0404.kl)
Edit this in a text editor and then you can change any of the commands you want.

Like for example, I don't care about rewind/fast forward, so I changed MEDIA_REWIND to VOLUME_UP. Changed MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD to VOLUME_DOWN.
Saved and rebooted.

Now the RW/FF buttons on the remote act as volume control. You can of course modify any of the other keys as well if you wanted, but I like having a play/pause button and menu button so I keep them.
Jul 16, 2008
161 posts
10 upvotes
ON
pr3dat0r wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 5:32 pm
I had the Himedia Q5 Quadcore a while back. It became paperweight once I can't upgrade Kodi and I don't use any of the included apps. It lasts me for about 2 years or less.

Now I am using Shield knowing that the hardware and software are going to last me much longer.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1942 posts
165 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 4:47 pm
Not a bad price at all.
I ordered this one:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/85-New-Original ... 2749.l2649
Made him an offer of $7 USD and he took it immediately. Wondering now if he would have went any lower lol.

Are you rooted or unrooted? Rooted is definitely easier to remap the keys, since you gain access to system files and can modify them right at the source (the key layout files the remote uses to know what commands to send when buttons are pressed), but there's also a couple 3rd party apps that work as well if you do not want to root. Although in my experience they are kind of unreliable and prone to crashing.
The apps are Button Remapper and Multilanguage Keymap Definer.

If you are rooted, it's as simple as accessing system/usr/keylayout
Then you find the file your remote uses (the Amazon Fire TV Stick uses Vendor_1949_Product_0404.kl)
Edit this in a text editor and then you can change any of the commands you want.

Like for example, I don't care about rewind/fast forward, so I changed MEDIA_REWIND to VOLUME_UP. Changed MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD to VOLUME_DOWN.
Saved and rebooted.

Now the RW/FF buttons on the remote act as volume control. You can of course modify any of the other keys as well if you wanted, but I like having a play/pause button and menu button so I keep them.
Thanks. I am not rooted, so may try one of the apps first.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

jaygee81