None
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
ciuvak wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 11:32 am
Just curious why using a Fire remote is better than the original Shield remote/controller/TV remote via CEC?
I guess it's all up to personal preference. In my experience, the Fire tv remotes I've used with the Shield have just given me the least amount of trouble.
The controllers work perfectly, but they are so bulky. If I am not playing a game, I don't want to be using the controller to navigate everywhere on my Shield. I like a compact remote.

The Shield remote often gives me problems. Especially if I just go to pick it up and press a button. Sometimes I think it unpairs and doesn't work for a good 30 seconds+ before it starts working again. Such a pain in the ass.
Also I hate the touch volume control. If you have big hands (hell maybe even if you dont), you can constantly accidentally hit the touch slider and adjust the volume when you don't want to.

There may be a better remote out there, but so far I have been particularly happy with the Fire TV remotes.
Also I like that the fire tv remotes just use a couple AAA batteries.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
knapper wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 6:18 am
Thanks. I am not rooted, so may try one of the apps first.
Makes sense.

I realized above, I called it Button Remapper, that actually is another app but not the one I was talking about is 'Button Mapper'.

So if you do try it out, it's this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tton&hl=en
It's Android TV compatible, so it will show up in your regular app list and should be in the google play store on the Shield.

It's pretty easy to use from what I remember, but if you need help let me know.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1939 posts
164 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 2:10 pm
I guess it's all up to personal preference. In my experience, the Fire tv remotes I've used with the Shield have just given me the least amount of trouble.
The controllers work perfectly, but they are so bulky. If I am not playing a game, I don't want to be using the controller to navigate everywhere on my Shield. I like a compact remote.

The Shield remote often gives me problems. Especially if I just go to pick it up and press a button. Sometimes I think it unpairs and doesn't work for a good 30 seconds+ before it starts working again. Such a pain in the ass.
Also I hate the touch volume control. If you have big hands (hell maybe even if you dont), you can constantly accidentally hit the touch slider and adjust the volume when you don't want to.

There may be a better remote out there, but so far I have been particularly happy with the Fire TV remotes.
Also I like that the fire tv remotes just use a couple AAA batteries.
I like the volume slide functionality, but hate the sensitivity - volume gets adjusted more often by mistake than on purpose.

I also find the delay 'waking up' to be horrible. I actually switched in new batteries once thinking that was the issue. Works fine if you use it continuously, but if it's inactive you can get that delay. And I have found it more of an issue with Oreo.
Aug 20, 2009
6492 posts
1132 upvotes
Grimsby
I just picked up one of the Harmony Smart Controls when it was on sale and use that instead to control everything. It pairs with the Shield over BT and can use IR too. Much more expensive of course. Downside being no voice search but I don't really use that functionality.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
Nvidia released their newest GeForce Now 2.0 beta app today on the Shield

If you want to try out the beta, you need to request it from here though:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... /waitlist/
Not sure how long it takes to be on the waitinglist. I put in a request just now.

Fortnite is one of the included games and it is free to play.
If you're aware of Fortnite, you may think well it's already free on PC/Console, what's the point? Bu through GeForce Now, it will allow you to stream the game from Nvidia's servers and not require you to have a PC that can handle playing Fortnite, or even require you to download the game first. Everything will be streamed from Nvidia.

From the screenshots I've seen, the new app also supports games like PUBG, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft: Legion. Although I think you'd probably want to hook up a mouse/keyboard if you want to play WoW. I have no idea how you'd try to play it with a controller lol.

Still very cool though. At least right now while it's free.
Jun 16, 2009
417 posts
430 upvotes
j3390659 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 8:39 pm
I had the Himedia Q5 Quadcore a while back. It became paperweight once I can't upgrade Kodi and I don't use any of the included apps. It lasts me for about 2 years or less.

Now I am using Shield knowing that the hardware and software are going to last me much longer.
Yeah that's how I feel about all those other Android boxes. 2-3 year life tops, then the hardware/software craps out and you're off to buy a new one. I have had a Shield since launch, and it still has legs to run. It cost a premium, but its easy to use, works solidly, and saves me the hassle of figuring out Which box to get next.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
I got the beta running now, the games just randomly appeared when I checked the Nvidia Games app. Going to give Fortnite a try through the app and see how well it streams from their servers.

This will be a pretty awesome service for those who don't own a PC but own a Shield. As long as you own the games on Steam, Epic Games, uPlay, whatever service, you will be able to stream it from nvidia's servers.

Edit: Got fornite running off their servers. Signing in is really clunky to Epic Games through the Nvidia Games app, but oh man it's working now and the quality is fantastic.
Did notice once or twice the quality adjusted itself momentarily for whatever reason, but no where near enough that it impacts playing the game.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1781 posts
62 upvotes
I really want to buy the 500gb ones but $399 is hight...
i have alots x256 mkv and blue ray iso .... most movies are 20-60gb..
my cheap $80 box can't do 4k.....
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
chinese zzz wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:02 am
Just buy the 16GB one and get yourself an external hard drive. With the money you save you could EASILY get a 4TB drive or larger. That is a lot more space than the 500GB drive in the Shield Pro version.

Or all the better if you already have an external drive sitting around.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3165 posts
975 upvotes
AB
chinese zzz wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:02 am
Don't buy the 500 GB Pro model. I had both and returned the Pro because it was slow and it's complicated to replace the HDD with an SSD.
Jun 16, 2009
417 posts
430 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 11:28 pm
I got the beta running now, the games just randomly appeared when I checked the Nvidia Games app. Going to give Fortnite a try through the app and see how well it streams from their servers.

This will be a pretty awesome service for those who don't own a PC but own a Shield. As long as you own the games on Steam, Epic Games, uPlay, whatever service, you will be able to stream it from nvidia's servers.

Edit: Got fornite running off their servers. Signing in is really clunky to Epic Games through the Nvidia Games app, but oh man it's working now and the quality is fantastic.
Did notice once or twice the quality adjusted itself momentarily for whatever reason, but no where near enough that it impacts playing the game.
The quality probably adjusted because it is a streaming service after all. Netflix does that to me when I start a movie on my older streaming boxes, and is more noticeable/longer with older ones.

Sooo... Will this work on Fortnite accounts that are based off the PS4?
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
May 9, 2006
492 posts
73 upvotes
Mississauga
anyone bought a good remote that works with shield and has a number keypad?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15413 posts
19759 upvotes
ONTARIO
BernardRyder wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 7:59 am
The quality probably adjusted because it is a streaming service after all. Netflix does that to me when I start a movie on my older streaming boxes, and is more noticeable/longer with older ones.

Sooo... Will this work on Fortnite accounts that are based off the PS4?
I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't.
Recently Fortnite was released on the Switch, and a lot of people found out that because they linked their Epic account to their PS4 (even once), they were locked out of using it on the Nintendo Switch. Which is absolutely crazy considering Sony shouldn't have a freakin' say in where you use your EPIC GAMES account.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1527 posts
283 upvotes
I found a trick to reconnect my Sony BT headphones without having to go thru the Shield's menu to connect. After you have turned off your BT cans and turn them on hours later, to connect to the shield just hit the play button on the headphones and automatically the shield and HPs are connected again. No more going thru all those menus to get sound thru the HPs. damn I wasted so much time on this earlier . . .