• Dec 7th, 2018 3:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13375 posts
3666 upvotes
London

nvidia shield vs s8 with dex?

I just bought a cracked s8+ on ebay... got it to find out the sim tray is broken and stuck inside so I can't use it as a phone anyways

I'm thinking about opening a return request on ebay, but I figured I'd consider going the media box option with it.

How does the Shield TV pro compare to an S8 with dex? It wouldn't be used for Netflix or anything, likely just roms and kodi
8 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
For convenience sakes, I'd go with a shield as it has a remote, can pass HD audio, and supports HDR.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
13375 posts
3666 upvotes
London
audit13 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 7:30 pm
For convenience sakes, I'd go with a shield as it has a remote, can pass HD audio, and supports HDR.
ok thanks for the feedback

I've decided to try and do a return. The guy obviously knew the sim tray was broken before he shipped it to me since his sim card is still in it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
I was considering the shield too but it also has issues with colour conversion according to some websites.

The mi box doesn't seem have a problem with colour conversion but has other problems.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
7949 posts
1845 upvotes
Scarberia
audit13 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 8:42 pm
I was considering the shield too but it also has issues with colour conversion according to some websites.

The mi box doesn't seem have a problem with colour conversion but has other problems.
What u mean by color conversions. Thx
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @$39.99 no 60FPS 4k youtube :( using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 11:10 pm
What u mean by color conversions. Thx
Here is a thread talking about the colour issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidT ... _be_fixed/

I played the same HDR 4k file off a mi box, HTPC, shield, and Bluray player on the same TV. They all look similar except for the shield. It wasn't bad on the shield and would only be noticeable when comparing it's image to the same image on another device.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2220 posts
865 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 10:06 am
Here is a thread talking about the colour issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidT ... _be_fixed/

I played the same HDR 4k file off a mi box, HTPC, shield, and Bluray player on the same TV. They all look similar except for the shield. It wasn't bad on the shield and would only be noticeable when comparing it's image to the same image on another device.
The others let the TV do the rec.709 -> rec.2020 conversion. The shield does that conversion itself (using standard compliant algo). It'd only be an issue (if at all) when watching SDR videos and the shield is connected to the TV in HDR mode (rec 2020).
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 6:55 pm
The others let the TV do the rec.709 -> rec.2020 conversion. The shield does that conversion itself (using standard compliant algo). It'd only be an issue (if at all) when watching SDR videos and the shield is connected to the TV in HDR mode (rec 2020).
I think it would be better to run to the shield in SDR and have it automatically switch to HDR with HDR content rather than running in HDR all the time. Something similar to the Apple TV 4K would be a welcome feature.

I was interested in buying the shield but decided to stick with my HTPC for now.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2220 posts
865 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 7:12 pm
I think it would be better to run to the shield in SDR and have it automatically switch to HDR with HDR content rather than running in HDR all the time. Something similar to the Apple TV 4K would be a welcome feature.
I was interested in buying the shield but decided to stick with my HTPC for now.
If you had a real HDR-capable TV then it should be no issue at all (tested by pros and posted on AVSForum). It's an issue with TVs which can accept HDR signal but cannot fully display it like some Samsungs and Sharp (Hisense made). So yeah, the path SDR -> HDR -> SDR is a problem with you have fake-HDR TVs.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!