NYC Trip - Midtown or Soho

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 9:34 pm
[OP]
May 3, 2015
137 posts
37 upvotes

NYC Trip - Midtown or Soho

My girlfriend and I have points to stay at a Marriott hotel and we are between midtown area and Soho. Neither of us have ever been to the city. Do people have any recommendations on which area is better? Is there somewhere else you'd recommend. Again, it'd have to have a Marriott (preferably a nicer one) in the area.

Thanks!

Edit: sorry midtown*, not uptown....
Last edited by MikeZ13 on Jul 12th, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
46 replies
Feb 7, 2017
985 posts
521 upvotes
Soho is a distinct neighbourhood. Uptown can refer to a wider variety of places.
Give us the names of the 2 hotels you are considering
(I did a google, and as I anticipated I got too many hits to narrow my guess down further)
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 13th, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1062 posts
309 upvotes
New York City
I personally like SoHo, haven't stayed north of midtown so can't comment on uptown. SoHo is more laid-back and quiet so you're away from the tourists.

Most tourists prefer midtown and times square however.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3138 posts
551 upvotes
London
I'd say Soho, however would also consider Jersey City or the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott.

What do you guys want to see/do when you are there?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7900 posts
766 upvotes
Yeah since it's your first time I'd make a list of things you want to do and then pick hotels based on that. My gut feeling is that SoHo is closer to more stuff, but might want to do the list anyways just in case.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4445 posts
1429 upvotes
I'm guessing that by 'uptown' OP actually means 'midtown'. Once you get past the north end of Central Park you're into "Upper Manhattan" which includes Harlem. That's not to suggest that you don't want to visit or stay there but, as already mentioned, a lot of the stuff that people go to NYC for is in Midtown and south.

And FWIW I've used Priceline several times for hotels in Manhattan (request 5 star) and have always ended up in Hilton properties, two in Midtown and one at Ground Zero, at prices far below the average hotel rates.
[OP]
May 3, 2015
137 posts
37 upvotes
Yes, sorry guys, totally meant midtown (showing my lack of NYC knowledge).

The two hotels we are currently looking at are:

1) Midtown - Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... _York.html

2) Soho - Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... _York.html

We are generally going to just be looking to do touristy things (statue of liberty, broadway, times square, 9/11 memorial, etc). We are not committed to either of the above, so if you think somewhere else is better let me know :)

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3138 posts
551 upvotes
London
I've stayed at your midtown hotel actually, and location is great!

While the soho hotel will be quicker to a bunch of what you want to see, the midtown hotel is a great place for first time to NYC, you are in the thick of a lot of landmark stuff. I have a soft spot for Bryant park and it's close to there too. the advantage of the residence is that with the fridge and that you can save a little coin if you want, keep some beers and wine there and some stuff from the deli if you want. the view is great so if you do spend an extra hour in your room for whatever reason you wont feel like you've missed out on anything. The rooms there are also huge, or at least the one I had was, which is not always the norm for NYC.

I say stay there this time and if you go back then you can go lower Manhattan. I tend to stay in Brooklyn now as I like that vibe, you get a feel for where you like but first time that midtown location is great!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5953 posts
856 upvotes
Mississauga
Midtown would be better for you.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Sep 30, 2001
26259 posts
5361 upvotes
I would go with midtown and buy a metro pass to get around. but then it depends on what you want to see - pick the hotel which is closest to the majority if your must see items.

i've been there twice and have stayed in times square and also near the Gershwin Theatre at a AirBNB. I would definitely go back and stay in that area for the convenience.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2648 posts
95 upvotes
Do you have status with Marriott? If so, check out the Renaissance Hotel by Madison square gardens. Its in a nice central location and if you are gold or platinum you get access to their wonderful executive lounge. Well worth the extra to have their breakfast spread and evening snacks and drinks. Breakfast is very nice, not the usual continental breakfast, its a full spread...and if its closed, they will give you vouchers to their buffet breakfast in their restaurant.
Just getting the unlimited bottle water, juice, and soda is worth it.

But if its between the two hotels you listed, I'll go with the midtown location.
Jul 20, 2012
484 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Some good advice here. For a first time visit to NYC you should stay at the Midtown hotel. Get the Metro card for the subway, you can take it pretty much everywhere in NYC.
[OP]
May 3, 2015
137 posts
37 upvotes
commie wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 6:39 pm
Do you have status with Marriott? If so, check out the Renaissance Hotel by Madison square gardens. Its in a nice central location and if you are gold or platinum you get access to their wonderful executive lounge. Well worth the extra to have their breakfast spread and evening snacks and drinks. Breakfast is very nice, not the usual continental breakfast, its a full spread...and if its closed, they will give you vouchers to their buffet breakfast in their restaurant.
Just getting the unlimited bottle water, juice, and soda is worth it.

But if its between the two hotels you listed, I'll go with the midtown location.
Yeah, currently gold status and should be platinum before we go on the trip. How does the access to the lounge/snacks work? Is there something you have to show in person or flag when booking? We are fairly new to the program so it's our first time travelling/redeeming points.

We will definitely check out your proposed location as well.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2648 posts
95 upvotes
MikeZ13 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:54 am
Yeah, currently gold status and should be platinum before we go on the trip. How does the access to the lounge/snacks work? Is there something you have to show in person or flag when booking? We are fairly new to the program so it's our first time travelling/redeeming points.

We will definitely check out your proposed location as well.

Thanks!
If you put your MR membership # in the reservations, at check-in time, they will know to allow your door key access into the executive lounge. The lounge is on the same floor as the front desk, so you can use your key card to access the lounge at anytime. They have food spreads during breakfast and happy hours. But you can go in there 24x7 to pick up water/juice/soda. Not too many hotels in Manhattan have an executive lounge for its members, and this one is one of the better ones.

I actually have stayed at both of the hotels you listed, and while they are both good choices, they don't compare to the Renaissance Midtown.
Since all three hotels are Marriott category 8 and you are using points, its a no brainer. I would pick the Renaissance in a heart beat. Even if there was no lounge at the Renaissance, for the location and quality of the hotel, and using the same amount of points as the other two, I would still pick Renaissance.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2080 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
sorry for hijacking but does anyone have particular preference on midtown hotels? There are tons and resort fees get added here and there and its hard to find a good value hotel in NYC.