NYC Trip - Midtown or Soho

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 9:34 pm
Feb 7, 2017
543 posts
306 upvotes
MikeZ13 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 1:14 pm
Yes, sorry guys, totally meant midtown (showing my lack of NYC knowledge).

The two hotels we are currently looking at are:

1) Midtown - Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... _York.html

2) Soho - Courtyard New York Manhattan/SoHo - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... _York.html

We are generally going to just be looking to do touristy things (statue of liberty, broadway, times square, 9/11 memorial, etc). We are not committed to either of the above, so if you think somewhere else is better let me know :)

Thanks!
Thanks for the reply to my OP. As I suspected, your "uptown" wording was just not being familiar with the city

Agree within the others, mid town is where you want to be
commie wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 6:39 pm
Do you have status with Marriott? If so, check out the Renaissance Hotel by Madison square gardens. Its in a nice central location and if you are gold or platinum you get access to their wonderful executive lounge. Well worth the extra to have their breakfast spread and evening snacks and drinks. Breakfast is very nice, not the usual continental breakfast, its a full spread...and if its closed, they will give you vouchers to their buffet breakfast in their restaurant.
Just getting the unlimited bottle water, juice, and soda is worth it.

But if its between the two hotels you listed, I'll go with the midtown location.
commie wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:25 am
If you put your MR membership # in the reservations, at check-in time, they will know to allow your door key access into the executive lounge. The lounge is on the same floor as the front desk, so you can use your key card to access the lounge at anytime. They have food spreads during breakfast and happy hours. But you can go in there 24x7 to pick up water/juice/soda. Not too many hotels in Manhattan have an executive lounge for its members, and this one is one of the better ones.

I actually have stayed at both of the hotels you listed, and while they are both good choices, they don't compare to the Renaissance Midtown.
Since all three hotels are Marriott category 8 and you are using points, its a no brainer. I would pick the Renaissance in a heart beat. Even if there was no lounge at the Renaissance, for the location and quality of the hotel, and using the same amount of points as the other two, I would still pick Renaissance.
Two thumbs up @commie

This is invaluable first hand info for a Marriott Rewards Member

@MikeZ13 I would certainly go with this recommendation
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6002 posts
1439 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Haris wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 3:53 pm
sorry for hijacking but does anyone have particular preference on midtown hotels? There are tons and resort fees get added here and there and its hard to find a good value hotel in NYC.
If you are looking for good value, don't stay in Manhattan - cheap hotels are really cheap (and not in a good way) and anything half decent is priced very high (as I'm sure you noticed). As another poster stated, look outside of Manhattan like Jersey City or my favourite Secaucus (around the Meadowlands). Both areas provide excellent access to NYC (Jersey City via the PATH trains and bus service through the Lincoln Tunnel to the Port Authority Bus Terminal). Jersey City is nice as it puts you within walking distance of smaller local shops while Secaucus is more of a newer strip mall type area with chains and a Walmart close by.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4274 posts
1342 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 7:53 pm
If you are looking for good value, don't stay in Manhattan - cheap hotels are really cheap (and not in a good way) and anything half decent is priced very high (as I'm sure you noticed). As another poster stated, look outside of Manhattan like Jersey City or my favourite Secaucus (around the Meadowlands). Both areas provide excellent access to NYC (Jersey City via the PATH trains and bus service through the Lincoln Tunnel to the Port Authority Bus Terminal). Jersey City is nice as it puts you within walking distance of smaller local shops while Secaucus is more of a newer strip mall type area with chains and a Walmart close by.
NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world. One should treat themselves to be right in the heart of it. It's worth the extra cost to just soak the place up. IMO of course.
Feb 7, 2017
543 posts
306 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 8:27 pm
NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world. One should treat themselves to be right in the heart of it. It's worth the extra cost to just soak the place up. IMO of course.
Agree. And you are not alone.

NY City is one of the greatest 24 Hour Cities on earth, so enjoying it as much as possible can only truly be done by staying there
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6002 posts
1439 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 8:27 pm
I trust me I was. I've been up at 4:00 AM looking for a good pizza joint for an 18" slice or getting a bagel and a coffee with both being put into a bag.... but for the difference of one or two nights at a hotel in NYC or being out in Jersey, you can get tickets to a show or even extend your stay by a few days. With the extra funds, spend those extra days wondering around Washington Square park, chilling in Central Park, or treating yourself to something from B&H... in other words, actually soak up the place rather than getting soaked by the hotel. After all, no matter how much you spend at a hotel in NYC, it won't necessarily get you a better NYC experience than having more time and money to spend at venues other than the hotel.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2618 posts
80 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:01 pm

NY City is one of the greatest 24 Hour Cities on earth, so enjoying it as much as possible can only truly be done by staying there
++2
There are times to save on hotels and there are times to splurge a little. NYC is one of those times to splurge.
I've been to NYC many times, tried staying in Jersey City, Queen's, and Newark area. If the goal is to visit the tourist sites of Manhattan and eat there, then I would not stay outside of the island again.
Its just such a pain, not able to go back to the hotel after a long hot sweaty day of site seeing, and freshen up before dinner. Would be a hassle to go back to the hotels in the burbs, then back to the city for dinner.
Then the factor of after having a nice dinner and a few drinks...the last thing anyone would want to do is spend more time on the subway or bus to go back out to the burbs...of course you can take uber/taxi...but then that adds up as well. In the end, the time wasted traveling back and forth, plus the added transportation cost, does not add up for visiting NYC.
Staying in the burbs while visiting NYC is really like the saying goes, penny smart pound foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6941 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:01 pm

+1 unless you have a free place to stay where you can bus/train in, stay in manhatten or a proper nyc borough if you've been to nyc before.

I think the further south the better. Depending what you like Brooklyn is where everything is going on now. SoHo would get you there faster.

IMO Central Park is for local new Yorkers to get away from the concrete jungle. As a tourist you are going TO the concrete jungle, why hang out at a large park?

Times square is really lame imo.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6002 posts
1439 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GangStarr wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:06 am

IMO Central Park is for local new Yorkers to get away from the concrete jungle. As a tourist you are going TO the concrete jungle, why hang out at a large park?
Because it's part of the NYC experience - do what the locals do, see what the locals see, and eat what the locals eat.
Feb 7, 2017
543 posts
306 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:06 am
But it is not just any park, as you paint it here. It is one of the most famous parks in the world.

Created by Olmstead & Vaux in 1858, it was radical thinking at the time.

It is on the US list of National Historic Landmarks. And this year has been nominated as a UNESCO World Heritge Site.

It is also one of the most photographed / used movie locations in the world. Well worth a look see if someone has the time or interest.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5904 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
I enjoy visiting Central Park each time I visit NYC.

I also don't understand the point of travelling to New York City, only to reside in the outskirts. Visiting WalMart and chain stores is not experiencing NYC to it's fullest, you can do that at home. Plus, the wasted expense and time travelling to New Jersey or wherever into the city.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Feb 7, 2017
543 posts
306 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:57 pm
I enjoy visiting Central Park each time I visit NYC.

I also don't understand the point of travelling to New York City, only to reside in the outskirts. Visiting WalMart and chain stores is not experiencing NYC to it's fullest, you can do that at home. Plus, the wasted expense and time travelling to New Jersey or wherever into the city.
Well put.

That is not to say I wouldn't visit the distant burbs.

In fact for those who are driving, leaving your car in the burbs & training / subway in is actually a very smart idea considering Traffic and the cost of Parking.

Some Hotels even promote this option... park & go, just stay one night, and you can leave your car there for up to a week while you explore & stay in Manhattan

When it comes to US Big Cites a plan like this works really well. We even used the same approach the last time we were in Toronto for an extended long weekend.

Was fabulous not to pay $ 25 to $ 50 a day extra for parking (for a car that never was going to leave the Downtown Hotel Garage)
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3022 posts
508 upvotes
London
Some interesting g comments in this thread from people who you can tell aren't frequent to NYC. Entertaining to say the least Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5904 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:17 pm
Well put.

That is not to say I wouldn't visit the distant burbs.

In fact for those who are driving, leaving your car in the burbs & training / subway in is actually a very smart idea considering Traffic and the cost of Parking.

Some Hotels even promote this option... park & go, just stay one night, and you can leave your car there for up to a week while you explore & stay in Manhattan

When it comes to US Big Cites a plan like this works really well. We even used the same approach the last time we were in Toronto for an extended long weekend.

Was fabulous not to pay $ 25 to $ 50 a day extra for parking (for a car that never was going to leave the Downtown Hotel Garage)
Thanks for this tip. Although, We usually fly, I never knew about the parking offer for people who drive.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2069 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
Right now I booked the Hilton central park for my stay beginning on thursday. It's right in n Broadway and came to $280 cad a night after taxes and fees so I can't complain . Just want to see if maybe there is a better location area wise to stay at. We will be doing alot of hop on off tours as well and broadway so Seems like a decent spot
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5904 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
Haris wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:58 am
Right now I booked the Hilton central park for my stay beginning on thursday. It's right in n Broadway and came to $280 cad a night after taxes and fees so I can't complain . Just want to see if maybe there is a better location area wise to stay at. We will be doing alot of hop on off tours as well and broadway so Seems like a decent spot
I just want to warn you... Last year we did the night time hop on bus that was supposed to last 1.5 hours, just touring around Manhattan. We ended up stuck on the bus for over three hours because of the crazy traffic. The driver finally let us off somewhere and we made our way back... It was a brutal experience...