• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2017 11:07 pm
28 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1371 posts
374 upvotes
Well that's a relief.
The real killer of Nicole and Ron is still out there free. OJ needs to go back on the hunt of the US golf courses for the guilty!
Alex
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1627 posts
215 upvotes
Markham
sherman51 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 3:41 pm
Well that's a relief.
The real killer of Nicole and Ron is still out there free. OJ needs to go back on the hunt of the US golf courses for the guilty!
The only golf courses he hits are in Florida, so the decision of the civil suit ca't touch him
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11312 posts
14652 upvotes
sherman51 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 3:41 pm
Well that's a relief.
I remember him saying say he will hunt for the killer(s) of his former wife. Then someone said he should look in the mirror to find the killer.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3937 posts
212 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
O.J is the reason why the Kardashians are famous. Let that sink in for a moment.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3285 posts
362 upvotes
Scarborough
OJ Simpson such a wierd story. He lost all his money, all $50M in lawsuits filed by victim family. How much is one person worth?? I'm pretty sure neither OJ Simpson wife or the guy she was banging were worth anywhere near that amount of money. Even if they worked 10 lifetimes. Then you see the US government go onto foreign soil, kill innocent civilians and get away with paying $5000. Hypocritical double standards.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11312 posts
14652 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 11:44 pm
OJ Simpson such a wierd story. He lost all his money, all $50M in lawsuits filed by victim family. How much is one person worth?? I'm pretty sure neither OJ Simpson wife or the guy she was banging were worth anywhere near that amount of money. Even if they worked 10 lifetimes. Then you see the US government go onto foreign soil, kill innocent civilians and get away with paying $5000. Hypocritical double standards.
The victims was rewarded a big settlement but got very little from the judgement since OJ was able to hide most of his assets.
Even if a Nevada parole board rules that O.J. Simpson has paid his debt to ­society for his armed-robbery caper, he’ll still owe a massive civil judgment ­involving the two 1994 murders to which he’ll forever be connected.

The Juice has made barely a “dent” in the $33.5 million debt that a Southern California civil jury ordered him to pay to the families of slain ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her pal Ron Goldman. O.J. was acquitted of their deaths at criminal trial but found liable in civil court.

Lawyers chasing Simpson’s millions say his financial team has been masterful in shielding his assets from collection.

The biggest problem is that nearly all of the money is sitting in pension funds immune from judgments.

After an initial raid to seize valuables from Simpson’s home in 1997, lawyers for Goldman’s family have been the most ­aggressive in squeezing The Juice.

Goldman’s relatives have attacked Simpson’s movie royalties, secured rights to his book “If I Did It” and grabbed a handful of small bank ­accounts that came to their attention.

David Cook — a collection lawyer for Ron’s dad, Fred Goldman — would only say Wednesday that Simpson has so far yielded in the “six digits.” In 2014, Ron’s sister Kim Goldman said O.J. has paid less than 1 percent of his civil debt.

“I have a difficult job,” Cook told The Post Wednesday. “My job is to collect on his civil judgment and not let the flame of Ron Goldman’s memory go out.”

Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6118 posts
3644 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:03 am
The victims was rewarded a big settlement but got very little from the judgement since  OJ was able to hide most of his assets.
Ya, unfortunately the bulk of his assets / money is tied up in Pension Funds, which are exempt from seizure.
After an initial raid to seize valuables from Simpson's home in 1997, lawyers from Goldman's family have been the most aggressive in squeezing The Juice
Was it not these same valuables... Sports Memorabilia, that led to Simpson's armed robbery heist  / arrest in Las Vegas?  Which led to jail time?

Always found the irony in this rather sweet.  What the Goldman's did get bothered him so much that he went overboard on the hunt to get them back, and ended up in jail (at last).

He's been out of the news, for most of the last 10 years... And the quiet has been welcomed by those of us who got "drawn in" to watching that whole media circus that was a trial back in the 1990s.

In many ways, I cannot believe he's got parole, will be out.

But at 70... My thinking is, those pension monies will at long last start to be unlocked, and this is a way for the Goldman's to get their due.  Guessing that is the motivation behind this latest legal strategy of the courts.

BTW, the OP's link says that the Goldman's original case judgement of $ 33.5 Million, was in recent years RAISED TO $ 58 MILLION

This thread, had me turning to Wikipedia for a quick read of the Armed Robbery case, and I found lots of other tid-bits that I did not know about OJ, post the 1994 murders.

Guessing it won't be long after his October 1st release date, that he'll be back in the news with some sort of other troubles with the law / courts
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
i read somewhere that he was getting a deal for 2.5yrs with no trial, but didnt take because he thought he would go scot-free. that has to be the biggest joke..
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11312 posts
14652 upvotes
People should not feel too sorry for OJ for his time behind bars. It appears it was not hard time.
From USA Today:

A “cruise ship with barbed wire” is how a retired correctional officer describes the prison where O.J. Simpson has been for almost nine years.

Simpson is set to appear before the Nevada Board of Parole Thursday and could be released from prison as soon as Oct. 1. But Jeffrey Felix, a retired correctional officer, said Simpson’s life is more than tolerable at Lovelock Correctional Center.

“Inmates in Nevada have a saying, ‘Lovelock is easy time,’ ” Felix told USA TODAY Sports. “I mean, that prison is not like a normal prison. The food at Lovelock is very good. That prison is super duper clean.’’

The amenities at the medium-security prison include a gym, softball field, volleyball courts and ping pong, according to Felix, who said inmates also have access to movies and cable TV.

“There’s plenty for him to do at that prison and he’s always happy,’’ said Felix, who retired from the Lovelock prison in 2015 after 20 years at the facility. “O.J.’s been happy there since day one. He’s always in a good mood, always laughing, always telling jokes.’’

Simpson voiced no complaints about life in Lovelock during a 2013 parole hearing — when he was granted parole for kidnapping and lesser counts stemming from the holdup — even though he said he found the crimes committed by the majority of his fellow inmates to be “distasteful.’’

“To some degree I feel lucky that I ended up here,’’ Simpson told parole board members. “…And to some extent as distasteful the majority of the crimes are that’s here, I find that there’s no stress. I find that there’s virtually no gang activity happening here. And honestly I feel respected to some degree by most of the inmates here.’’

At the time, Simpson said, he was working in the gym and responsible for disinfecting workout equipment and mopping floors. He also said he was coaching sports teams and umpiring game and counseled other inmates.

“I’m sure the powers here know that I advise a lot of guys,’’ he said, “and I like to feel that I’ve kept a lot of trouble from happening since I’ve been here by getting involved in some of the conflicts that some of the individuals here have had.’’

But Simpson noted he had missed the funeral of his sister Carmelita Durio in 2009, missed the college graduation of his two youngest children — Sydney and Justin — and missed many birthday celebrations.

Of the five years he had spent in prison to that point, Simpson said, “They’ve been somewhat illuminating at times and painful at times.’’

Simpson also told parole board members that he had no writeups for behavior violations and Felix said that’s still the case. At the time of the hearing, Simpson recalled his arrival at Lovelock.

“I gave them my word that I would try to be or would be the best prisoner they’ve ever had here,’’ he said. “And I think for the most part I’ve kept my word on that.

“I’ve not had any incidents despite all the stories in the tabloids and everything. I haven’t had one incident since I’ve been here.’’
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3777 posts
394 upvotes
Ottawa
Remembet that because the courts found him innocent of the murders (the civil cases do not impact the decision) the parole board probably wasn't even allowed to consider them (which makes sense; if the courts said "he didn't do it" why should they be allowed to dispute that?). The decision to grant parole under the circumstances was not ususual.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1461 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario
Perfect timing...Ford is releasing the new Bronco next year......Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31120 posts
5880 upvotes
Ottawa
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 2:05 pm
People should not feel too sorry for OJ for his time behind bars. It appears it was not hard time.
Jeffery Felix has been chastized for his book. He was called a "fraud" by the lawyers. His relationship with OJ Simpson was that of a guard working in the canteen and a prisoner buying something there.
shoppingkart wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 5:37 pm
Perfect timing...Ford is releasing the new Bronco next year......Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I am not sure you realize what Simpson was in jail for. He was acquitted of murder charges.

I am not an OJ fan but It would be nice if people knew what they were talking about. He is being released on parole after serving 9 years for armed robbery. Had he been someone else, they probably would nto gotten the sentence he did and would for sure have been paroled long before 9 years.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7631 posts
2009 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 2:56 pm
Remembet that because the courts found him innocent of the murders (the civil cases do not impact the decision) the parole board probably wasn't even allowed to consider them (which makes sense; if the courts said "he didn't do it" why should they be allowed to dispute that?). The decision to grant parole under the circumstances was not ususual.
just to be clear, he was found not guilty in the criminal court. a verdict of not guilty is not the same as innocent...legally speaking. he was however found liable for the deaths in the civil suit against him.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.