• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2019 8:58 am
Tags:
Jan 12, 2019
14 posts
1 upvote
SpencerD85759 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:18 pm
what was the hardest section? did they ask many questions on specific history events of OACETT and the IETO?
There are no particularly hard sections. Because they are all difficult. You must review all the contents in BOLD, other than what are mentioned in the practice questions.
Feb 8, 2019
3 posts
Hi there,

i have two questions:

how many questions in each section of the exam (Law, Ethics and Practice)? what is the passing grade?

Cheers.
Jul 22, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
GTA, Ontario
CivilEng111 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:36 pm
Hi there,

i have two questions:

how many questions in each section of the exam (Law, Ethics and Practice)? what is the passing grade?

Cheers.

35 law questions with one case study with 5 questions

20 ethics questions with 2 case studies with 5 questions each

20 practise questions with 2 case studies with 5 questions each

you need 50% on each section to pass
Jul 22, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
GTA, Ontario
just finished my PPE exam, there were many questions i knew from studying the text but some that i was absolutely clueless on. hoping for a passing grade!! i did think that the exam was more based on principles than hard definitions from the text as well.

For people that have written the exam recently, how long did it take to get your grade back? the textbook says within a week but the end of the exam said up to 4 weeks?!
Feb 8, 2019
3 posts
SpencerD85759 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 7:36 pm
just finished my PPE exam, there were many questions i knew from studying the text but some that i was absolutely clueless on. hoping for a passing grade!! i did think that the exam was more based on principles than hard definitions from the text as well.

For people that have written the exam recently, how long did it take to get your grade back? the textbook says within a week but the end of the exam said up to 4 weeks?!
My friend got her result after 2 weeks. She did it early Jan 2019. How long did you take to prepare for the exam?
Jul 22, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
GTA, Ontario
CivilEng111 wrote: My friend got her result after 2 weeks. She did it early Jan 2019. How long did you take to prepare for the exam?
I read through the whole text word for word once, then went back through the whole text reading all of the bolded terms.

Today I went over the review questions for each section in the back. Not sure about length of time maybe 2 months off and on
May 29, 2017
64 posts
23 upvotes
I remember back in college they encourage you to get this cert.... complete waste of time. My professor was a head of the east district and he would always say its great for your career. Absolutely pointless... its just money grab. Some companies would say " preference would be given to those with CET" but i never seen my company or previous ones giving a damn about it. That being said im still searching for a study guide for it. ill let you know should i find one.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2015
68 posts
33 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
So here's the deal. I have a lot of friends and colleagues take the PPEs and the only thing everyone swears by is the official OACETT study guide. The only thing that has helped my contacts is the official (Does OACETT still offer it?). Seems like what I said a couple pages ago in 2015 still applies, so I am going to reiterate it here:

No. You will still have to read the official oacett book. The only place where the oacett book shines is that it has most of the definitions compiled in one place. The sample test that it came with wasn't any good. And it is intended to be a suppliment to the official book, not a replacement.

Here's what I did and would recommend anyone taking the exam:
1. Take the official seminar ~$150 as it has slideshows with audio and associated quizes for each chapter, plus a sample exam that is actually beneficial.
2. Read case studies as the actual test had a few questions directly referencing them. E.g. In the case study abc company vs xyz company, which of the following laws apply?

If you can get a 3rd party study guide from somewhere, fine, read it, but don't spend too much time on it. The one pdf study guide I got from https://practiceppeexams.ca/ was useless in 2015 and I wonder how it may have improved, even though they have a proper course now? see here https://practiceppeexams.ca/nppe-or-ppe ... ms-oacett/

At the end of the day, OACETT provides you with all resources. So please...stop wasting your time and start studying and you shall be ok.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2015
68 posts
33 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Cnsr0033 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 7:32 am
I remember back in college they encourage you to get this cert.... complete waste of time. My professor was a head of the east district and he would always say its great for your career. Absolutely pointless... its just money grab. Some companies would say " preference would be given to those with CET" but i never seen my company or previous ones giving a damn about it. That being said im still searching for a study guide for it. ill let you know should i find one.
Every single organization I have interviewed with have asked me about CET and OACETT. Linamar, Magna, ArcelorMittal, Imax, Honda Alliston, SNC-Lavalin (pfff.) etc etc etc. I would estimate between 30 to 40 organizations. And every single one has extended an offer. Granted I now have 8 years of experience, but I got it in 2015 and I have received multiple calls every single week citing my experience and CET. I am not a fan of OACETTs new CPD program, but CET is the single most valuable certification I have received so far.

It is most definitely not the end all be all. So if you realize that, you understand that you have to keep polishing that resume with other certifications (Lean Manufacturing, Internal Quality Auditor, Certified 3D courses etc. in my case) and a lot of networking. Heck, go get your BTech if you feel adventurous. During most of my interviews, employers ask about these bullets points more than anything else and are happy to hear that I did all that while working full time as a landed immigrant. #humble Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

You feel?
Jul 22, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
GTA, Ontario
Hey everyone, had a few more questions...

1.) How does the correspondence from OACETT work once you've completed all the requirements for a designation level? do you eventually get an email saying you've completed it? or physical mail? I did pass the PPE exam and that was the only thing I needed for C. Tech

2.) how long did it take to hear back from OACETT about the technology report? today marked 5 weeks for me since submitting mine and the online portal still says "with the admissions committee"
Jan 22, 2019
2 posts
Dhahran, KSA
Overall, I've found the time of correspondence with OACETT to be quite short; they tend to update or reply you quickly.

As I'm an International educated graduate, I had to pass my OACETT IEPPE (instead of PPE), which I did on 05-Aug-2019. I found IEPPE to be difficult. Although I purchased the IEPPE seminar that comes with a sample exam, but after sitting in actual IEPPE, I can say with confidence that the provided sample exam was not even close in difficulty-level to the actual IEPPE. So for any future aspirants, I would suggest not to waste money and time on going through the seminar; just read the OACETT PPE/IEPPE Manual cover to cover, understand all the case studies, and you shall ace the exam. It took me around 5 and half months to completely read the IEPPE manual; though I took two vacation breaks during this period.

Also, my technology report has been received on 20-Aug-2019 by OACETT. Let's see in how much time will I get the response.

One final element left in my C.E.T. is the required language benchmark, which I am going to fulfill by sitting in IELTS Academic very soon. After that I hope to have the right of using C.E.T. after my name; after receiving the same advice from OACETT Registrar.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)