• Jan 12th, 2018 6:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8494 posts
1303 upvotes
Markham
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:11 am
for first time Hawaii travelers, it is a must. Takes like 10 minutes to go in and get some dole whip, see the Rainbow Eucalyptus trees that you cant see anywhere else and go see the small pineapples growing near the entrance. It is right on a main road and not out of the way. I would 100% go there to check it out.
+1 That is not something you can see everywhere. We bought the pineapple icecream there and it was so tasty.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Oct 27, 2012
245 posts
138 upvotes
Shwa
buy all your souvenirs at the Aloha Stadium Swap meet. Even though they are mostly made in Indonesia, Philippines etc., there are good deals to be had. Just gotta bargain with the vendors.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
552 posts
157 upvotes
Also lots of good drink deals around Oahu if you are looking for that sort of thing
Got that Zoomer account!
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9290 posts
3482 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Don't forget mamas fish house and the food trucks in Maui. Geste shrimp truck is a must and there is a parking lot full of food trucks by the airport as well.

As for non touristy beaches and swimming with the sea turtles Kamole Beach park III was fantastic. We swam every morning at the beach and saw the turtles everyday, highlight of the trip for sure.

We didn't like Lahaina as it felt more like a tourist trap. For shopping Wailea was the best.
Dec 14, 2002
791 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
Any tips for rental cars from HNL? ie) is it cheaper to go offsite away from airport or anything like that? I booked a van from costco travel with alamo for $680USD for 10 days. We have 6 people and a baby going, so I thought it's not a bad deal, but can cancel anytime if there's a better way to go about it.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9290 posts
3482 upvotes
Richmond Hill
That looks to be a decent price for a van. Keep in mind renting through Costco includes a second driver as well.
[OP]
May 23, 2017
552 posts
157 upvotes
monkey-boy wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 3:22 pm
Any tips for rental cars from HNL? ie) is it cheaper to go offsite away from airport or anything like that? I booked a van from costco travel with alamo for $680USD for 10 days. We have 6 people and a baby going, so I thought it's not a bad deal, but can cancel anytime if there's a better way to go about it.
Yes like @EP32k2 said, its a good deal and second driver for free is great when you are travelling with 6 people. I always book with Costco as well and find them to be the cheapest, but keep checking expedia, you never know when on will go on sale.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29931 posts
5069 upvotes
Ottawa
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 3:31 pm
I posted this in another thread but I will post it here so others will see it easily. There are many tips and tricks to having a great Hawaii experience, here are just a few.

In maui I always stay in Lahania, it’s a town on the west side of the island, it’s a strip of private beaches that the different resorts own, so they aren’t too crowded, nice and relaxing. I always stay at “the royal lahania resort” royallahaina.com the tower rooms are really nice if you get a ocean view room, they also have those cottages that you can rent if you are going with a few families. ........

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT stay in Kihei when you are on Maui. Everyone will tell you, oh its cheaper there and its the same... IT IS NOT. It is cheaper, but the beaches are garbage, the area isn't nice at all. its on the other side of the island and near nothing.

Lahania town is a really nice place, there is a stretch of shops and nice restaurants that is within about a 5 minute drive from the hotel, http://www.visitlahaina.com/ . T........

If you want some fun things to do, for sure do this… zipline.com‎ the place is near that hotel, they drive you up the mountain and then you do about 8-10 ziplines that get higher and longer, it’s really fun. They provide lunch and everything, it’s a great time.

I have lots more tips, but these are just off the top of my head.
OK, just got back from a 3 week vacation on Maui.
I will call you out on several things, especially saying you stayed in Lahania. Your resort is in Ka'anapoli, not Lahania. They are 2 very different locations and communities. Ka'anapoli has many resorts and hotels whereas Lahania has very few. Lahania is nothing more than the equivalent to a port town on a Caribbean island. There are only 2 very small beaches there and tons of shops selling perfumes, t shirts and trinkets.
All beaches on Maui are public. There are no private beaches. Hotels like to put out loungers and umbrellas to make you think it is their beach but anyone can use any beach anytime. The problem in Ka'anapoli is that the beach ara is so full of resorts, they have cut off beach access and to get to them you either need to stay at the resort of pay for parking in the resort parking lots. That is a real big controversy there right now.
I also vehemently disagree that Kehia beaches are garbage. They are some of the best beaches and longest on the island and all public and you do not need to pay for parking to get to them like many do in Ka'anapoli. the beach stretches from Kehai to Wialea to Makena, all public and all accesable. Kehia has Lamole I, II and III beaches right along the town strip. Kehai has all the same restaurants that Ka'anapoli has (as many are chains from Maui). The resorts in Wiala normally have snorkeling equipment, paddleboards, sea kayaks and other beach stuff to loan you for free (our Andaz resort and our friends at Grand Wialea and Marriott resort had the free stuff, all part of your resort fee).
As for price, staying in a resort in Ka'napoli is the same as staying in a resort in Kehia or Wialea. What is expensive is eating in restaurants. Drinks generally $10 to 15. Beers $6 to 10. Apps $10 to 20 and full meals are $25 and up. Best bet is to go for happy hour and apps and some drinks are half price. There are lots of coupon books that have 2 for 1 at restaurants and other offerings for renting gear or outings.
After 3 weeks of being on Maiu and having been to Lahania, Ka'anapoli and driving around the island, I would most certainly stay in the Kehai/Wiilea area.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1193 posts
1747 upvotes
Anybody have advice on getting good (3 star+) accommodations in Maui for a good price?

On Dec 27 I purchased airline tickets with Delta from Ottawa to Maui for $230 CDN, round trip, taxes included ( http://www.secretflying.com/posts/crazy ... roundtrip/). Going at the end of April, for 10 days, which supposedly is low season. Never realized until afterwards how expensive the accommodations are.

I want to budget less than $200 USD/night for accommodations. Going with my fiancé, so don’t want to cheap out too much on quality. No hostels, no dumpy hotels. Currently looking at either Airbnb, VRBO, renting a timeshare, or maybe even try house sitting or pet sitting.

Since the end of April is low season for Maui, is it better to wait closer to that date to find accommodations in order for the possibility of a great deal?

In regards to a car rental, I reserved an economy car from Avis (Kihei- off airport location) for $192 USD taxes included for a 1 week rental. Good deal or can I do better? Also, regarding the road to Hana, I read in a that it’s pretty much forbidden amongst all the car rental agenies to drive the southern route. If this is true, are there any private or used car rental companies that allow you to drive the southern route?

Any advice is great and appreciated
Nov 11, 2011
268 posts
371 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
@oj777 what are your exact dates for Maui? you could try hotwire or priceline. I looked quickly at hotwire and you can get a few options in the 100-175 USD night range which will fall into your budget. I use betterbidding.com to help me try to figure out what hotel or condo I am perhaps going to book. Btw, food is pretty expensive too so if you have the choice between a condo and a hotel on Maui, condo might be your best option as you can cook your own breakfast and lunch and then eat dinner out or whatever
Last edited by alohamom on Jan 10th, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4833 posts
2218 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 6:03 pm
I also vehemently disagree that Kehia beaches are garbage. They are some of the best beaches and longest on the island and all public and you do not need to pay for parking to get to them like many do in Ka'anapoli. the beach stretches from Kehai to Wialea to Makena, all public and all accesable. Kehia has Lamole I, II and III beaches right along the town strip. Kehai has all the same restaurants that Ka'anapoli has (as many are chains from Maui).
I agree. I got married on Little Makena Beach. Lovely!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1193 posts
1747 upvotes
alohamom wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:04 pm
@oj777 what are your exact dates for Maui? you could try hotwire or priceline. I looked quickly at hotwire and you can get a few options in the 100-175 USD night range which will fall into your budget. I use betterbidding.com to help me try to figure out what hotel or condo I am perhaps going to book. Btw, food is pretty expensive too so if you have the choice between a condo and a hotel on Maui, condo might be your best option as you can cook your own breakfast and lunch and then eat dinner out or whatever
April 23-May 1. Yeah, definitely want to get something that has a kitchen. As for eating out, it seems like Maui has a great food truck scene. Also, for bars/restaurants seems like a lot of them have happy hour deals, so it doesn’t seem too bad if you time your meals.
Jan 17, 2017
114 posts
53 upvotes
oj777 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 8:44 pm
Also, regarding the road to Hana, I read in a that it’s pretty much forbidden amongst all the car rental agenies to drive the southern route. If this is true, are there any private or used car rental companies that allow you to drive the southern route?

For road to Hana, just take the normal northern route back and forth. Regardless from South or West Maui, that is the route everyone takes. Even that part is difficult driving, so I couldn't imagine driving the back-half.
Couple tips for this, aside from the drive, the Pipiwai trail is the highlight of the road to hana and is basically at the end of where you can drive in a rental car. This trail gets busy, so I suggest driving the whole way to the trail first and doing stops on the way back. Leave very early as doing the trail and other stops takes a long time and you don't want to be driving back in the dark. Also, if you end up going up Haleakala, do it around the day for road to hana as the ticket for Haleakala and Pipiwai areas are in the same national park and covered together.

I recently stayed at the El Dorado around Kaanapali. It's around 200 USD on Outrigger, but you have to add a cleaning fee and resort fee. You can go through VRBO as well for this location which might have lower $ options. Outrigger commonly has sales, so you might be able to get it cheaper as well (which is what I did). It's a nice option cause you have an affordable condo, but still have a cabana on the beach (north Kaanapali, so not as crazy as Kaanapali) and a short walk to alot of restaurants at Kaanapali and north Kaanapali. It's also a short walk to some of the best snorkeling in Maui (Kahekili beach park). Just note it is offset from the beach, so you have to walk (<10 mins or take a shuttle from the resort to the cabana); anything beachfront in that area will probably cost alot more than 200$ though.

If you enjoy snorkeling, the other good spots in West Maui are Kapalua (great scenic beach too.. go super early) and Honolua (not really a beach, tough beach access, alot of tours go here).
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
29931 posts
5069 upvotes
Ottawa
oj777 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 8:44 pm
Anybody have advice on getting good (3 star+) accommodations in Maui for a good price?

On Dec 27 I purchased airline tickets with Delta from Ottawa to Maui for $230 CDN, round trip, taxes included ( http://www.secretflying.com/posts/crazy ... roundtrip/). Going at the end of April, for 10 days, which supposedly is low season. Never realized until afterwards how expensive the accommodations are.

I want to budget less than $200 USD/night for accommodations. Going with my fiancé, so don’t want to cheap out too much on quality. No hostels, no dumpy hotels. Currently looking at either Airbnb, VRBO, renting a timeshare, or maybe even try house sitting or pet sitting.

Since the end of April is low season for Maui, is it better to wait closer to that date to find accommodations in order for the possibility of a great deal?

In regards to a car rental, I reserved an economy car from Avis (Kihei- off airport location) for $192 USD taxes included for a 1 week rental. Good deal or can I do better? Also, regarding the road to Hana, I read in a that it’s pretty much forbidden amongst all the car rental agenies to drive the southern route. If this is true, are there any private or used car rental companies that allow you to drive the southern route?

I think the best bet for under $200 USD per day would be a condo rental. The resorts are very expensive, on season or off. In Kehai there are hundreds of condos within your budget. When you shop for a condo, ask the agency what comes with the condo. Make sure things like beach chairs, umbrellas and some beach stuff comes with the condo.
We did not have any restrictions on our car rentals and drove the "road to Hana". Not impressed. It is a narrow single lane winding road, lots of traffic and very slow going and, any of the things to see require finding a place to park and often a long walk (hike) to the "attraction".
Maui is a place to come and relax. The main attraction is the beaches. Yes there is snorkeling, surfing, kayaking, paddle boarding, even deep sea fishing, all beach related plus zip lining and golfing, but they all cost extra.
We had a fantastic time. The resorts have everything to offer but, you certainly pay for the experience.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous