Computers & Electronics

OBi devices (OBi100, OBi200..) cannot work with Google Voice in 6 months (May15 2014)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2014 2:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2723 posts
303 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Nov 8th, 2013 6:05 pm
Which one would you recommend?
I have voip.ms but it doesn't work with my alarm system so I'm open to trying others
I've only used Callcentric, Voip.ms and Anveo from the Obihai list.

Anveo doesn't have local POPs but it has automatic failover, so if the main POP dies, you automatically get routed to a backup, no intervention needed. I also like the callflow because I have it set to do things like DISA, fax etc. It isn't that cheap though depending on the features you need. It isn't nearly as user friendly as Voip.ms which sucks but potentially lets you do a lot more interesting things.

Callcentric is more expensive but it has local access numbers across the world for cheap calling, I used that feature in Europe and it was really nice. They also have unlimited calling $20 plans and rock solid stability but are among the more expensive providers. They operate much more like a phone company.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2723 posts
303 upvotes
Premium wrote:
Nov 9th, 2013 10:26 pm
OMG. I was about to purchase another OBiTalk to use with Google Voice. I am really upset with this. Anyways where I can pay a premium to keep the same way? My Google Voice is registered to an American number that I would love to keep as **2.
You can port Google Voice numbers out to other providers.
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2007
2794 posts
339 upvotes
Darn! This was one of the main selling points of switching to VoIP :(

So what are our free options after the May deadline? I currently use Voip.Ms for incoming and GV for outgoing... would love to keep using a free service for outgoing!
Reviews, How-To's, Technology.
YouTube: blackdragon1299
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1785 posts
457 upvotes
Vancouver
FreePhoneLine offers calling to many cities in Canada for a one-time $50 fee. Keep in mind though that this would buy you 10,000 minutes on the Value route at VoIP.ms. If your volume is low, it would take a very long time (years) to break even. In that case, you may wish to use VoIP.ms for everything.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1785 posts
457 upvotes
Vancouver
Tha DraGun wrote:
Nov 8th, 2013 6:05 pm
I have voip.ms but it doesn't work with my alarm system so I'm open to trying others
Alarm system compatibility would in most cases be unrelated to your service provider, since everyone supports G.711. If you can't make your system work with VoIP.ms, I'd doubt you can make it work with anyone else.

Make sure you remembered to configure:
DTMF mode to Inband, both in your ATA's configuration and the VoIP.ms portal.
Network Jitter Level to Extremely High
Jitter Buffer Adjustment to Disable
Echo Cancellation to Off

Note that jitter/echo configuration is available on the OBi2 and OBi3 series, but not OBi1.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3905 posts
574 upvotes
Kingston
PianoGuy wrote:
Nov 11th, 2013 1:12 pm
Alarm system compatibility would in most cases be unrelated to your service provider, since everyone supports G.711. If you can't make your system work with VoIP.ms, I'd doubt you can make it work with anyone else.

Make sure you remembered to configure:
DTMF mode to Inband, both in your ATA's configuration and the VoIP.ms portal.
Network Jitter Level to Extremely High
Jitter Buffer Adjustment to Disable
Echo Cancellation to Off

Note that jitter/echo configuration is available on the OBi2 and OBi3 series, but not OBi1.
I've changed to Inband, but that's all I've done. I have an obi110. So nothing else on can try to get it to work then? So far 2 months and they haven't received a signal from me.
Mar 26, 2008
911 posts
1200 upvotes
Toronto
any update on this? Is google going to go through with this?
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13007 posts
2925 upvotes
Toronto
dran wrote:
May 5th, 2014 3:55 am
any update on this? Is google going to go through with this?
It will happen. There is no going back.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3881 posts
560 upvotes
Since a lot of people probably have:

Sp1: Google Voice
Sp2: freephoneline/voip.ms/...

What will be the quickest way to "fix this", i.e. get rid of Google Voice and use Sp2 for everything?
Jan 19, 2006
194 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a similar problem with my alarm and my monitoring company wanted $400 to add some "voip module". I ended up picking up this:

http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176

SUPER easy to install and allows me to self-monitor my alarm over my internet conncetion (free). They also have a full monitoring solution for $8/month. Might be worth your looking at as an alternative (I realize internet alarm connectivity isn't for everyone)
Mar 26, 2008
911 posts
1200 upvotes
Toronto
JustBob wrote:
May 5th, 2014 3:05 pm

What will be the quickest way to "fix this", i.e. get rid of Google Voice and use Sp2 for everything?
Yes, that's what I am planning to do.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3236 posts
1102 upvotes
Toronto
i'm looking to buy a obi202, should I wait to see if they release anything that'll work with google voice later on or is google voice's xmpp the only way to do voip through an ata? So there will be no device in the future that supports GV?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1785 posts
457 upvotes
Vancouver
It's highly unlikely that Google is going to change its mind on this subject - but in that unlikely event, Obihai would probably release a firmware update for the 202 that would make it work again. More likely than not however, Google Voice will eventually be shut down completely. My (unproven) theory is that Voice will be retired in favour of Hangouts.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6955 posts
956 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Nov 14th, 2013 8:14 pm
I've changed to Inband, but that's all I've done. I have an obi110. So nothing else on can try to get it to work then? So far 2 months and they haven't received a signal from me.
It might be how your alarm system is wired up. My alarm system was wired in a way where it would block out the rest of the telephone lines when sending a signal. Had to rewire it because the ATA box was in a room upstairs and not at the demarcation point where the alarm was.
JustBob wrote:
May 5th, 2014 3:05 pm

I hit "Setup Wizard" and changed "Phone PrimaryLine" to SP2
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2592 posts
268 upvotes
Should I go with voip.ms? or phone power? or freephoneline http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobilewi ... obi-google

I rarely ever use my landline. It's just there because I thought I might work from home once a week and wanted to be accessible. My parents and my gf might call me on it..

If possible, I'd rarely not have to fuss with settings and servers rather than simplicity.. but if I'm reading voip.ms right, I could be paying as little as 0.99/month if I dont use any minutes per month? And if I use more than 200 minutes per a month than maybe I'm better off with phone power or freephoneline. My concern with free phone line is that the break-even seems to be over 3 years since phone power is $3/month.