Occupational Health and Safety Certificate at Ryerson

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2018 5:40 pm
Dec 4, 2009
53 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Occupational Health and Safety Certificate at Ryerson

I have a bachelors degree in an unrelated field. I'm looking for a career change and someone recommended the Occupational Health and Safety and I thought it sounded interesting. They said I could just do a certificate from Ryerson and pursue CRSP designation. Would just the certificate be ok to get a job in it and to be able to pursue CRSP designation (as there is also a 2 year fast track bachelors)?
Also, if anyone has any experience with this field, I'd love to hear about it.
Thank you.
1 reply
Apr 30, 2017
134 posts
59 upvotes
waterbottle wrote: I have a bachelors degree in an unrelated field. I'm looking for a career change and someone recommended the Occupational Health and Safety and I thought it sounded interesting. They said I could just do a certificate from Ryerson and pursue CRSP designation. Would just the certificate be ok to get a job in it and to be able to pursue CRSP designation (as there is also a 2 year fast track bachelors)?
Also, if anyone has any experience with this field, I'd love to hear about it.
Thank you.
I've been in the field for 8 years and my opinion is that the Ryerson OHS certificate aims at people already in the OHS field but without formal education. These are usually people with front line experience and then somehow found their way into safety in the same company/industry. If you already have a bachelor degree, I'd recommend Ryerson's two year fast track BASc degree in OHS. You may also look into UofT's master's degree in Occupational Hygiene.

This field pays well, especially in big companies. But to get in, you're competing with people with minimum bachelor degrees in the field; having only a certificate will make you not as competitive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)