• Aug 2nd, 2016 9:41 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

Oceans Grocery in Mississauga Closed by Medical Officer! [UPDATED]

Edit: Oceans is open again.
Edit #2: Cockroach Infestation. See link below in post #14.

A family member passed along this photo to me.

I get hot food from that location all the time and never had a problem. Actually I find their sushi is pretty good value for what you get. Unfortunately (a few years ago) my dad went to the hospital with stomach problems after eating a fried tilapia from that location.

It seems Peel Health has not updated for this July 29th inspection yet.

Photo:
- casual gastronomist -
16 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
Yikes! Thanks for sharing!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Man... it takes some gross negligence to close a shop.
Either that or a series of unfortunate events.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
death_hawk wrote: Man... it takes some gross negligence to close a shop.
Either that or a series of unfortunate events.
They had a conditional pass 2 weeks ago, but then passed again 4 days after that.

This is from 2 weeks ago:
Did operator keep hazardous food out of the danger zone temperature? (Critical risk) No
Did operator store food to prevent contamination and/or adulteration? (Significant Risk) No
Did operator maintain non-food contact surfaces clean, sanitary and in good condition? No
Did operator maintain the mechanical ventilation in a clean and sanitary condition? No
Did operator provide adequate protection against pests? (Significant risk) No
Did at least one food handler/manager have a valid food handler certification? No

I can't find anything yet on the July 29th failure.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: They had a conditional pass 2 weeks ago, but then passed again 4 days after that.

Did operator keep hazardous food out of the danger zone temperature? (Critical risk) No
Did operator store food to prevent contamination and/or adulteration? (Significant Risk) No
Did operator maintain non-food contact surfaces clean, sanitary and in good condition? No
Did operator maintain the mechanical ventilation in a clean and sanitary condition? No
Did at least one food handler/manager have a valid food handler certification? No

Looks like Oceans didn't even bother with any safety steps. Based on this they got pest issues, cleaning issues, storage issues, lack of knowledge issues...

I thought Foodymart wasn't great but Oceans apparently is worse.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
rageking wrote: Looks like Oceans didn't even bother with any safety steps. Based on this they got pest issues, cleaning issues, storage issues, lack of knowledge issues...

I wouldn't go that far based on the Jul-14 report I quoted above. "Lack of pest control" is not the same as having pests. And they did pass on a Jul-18 inspection.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Well I'm glad to see inspections are to be taken seriously.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: They had a conditional pass 2 weeks ago, but then passed again 4 days after that.

See now I'm even more confused. Every other department passes. This is the only department that has a conditional pass on it.
How do you go from a conditional pass that like 80% of restaurants have (not quite) to a complete shutdown?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Could be they were told to improve on it and didn't.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
May 14, 2010
581 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga
They were re-opened for business the next day with a pass
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I passed by this morning and I can confirm that Oceans is open again.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: See now I'm even more confused. Every other department passes. This is the only department that has a conditional pass on it.
How do you go from a conditional pass that like 80% of restaurants have (not quite) to a complete shutdown?
Conditional pass can be very severe, but they are easily fixable. My guess was they got all these conditions they needed to fix by Date X. Which they did, but then went back to their normal routine and got caught with a surprise inspection a few weeks later.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
seriously, how often do you actually see Asian supermarkets have operated with a clean environment. T&T may be an exception to some degree (as I would think Loblaws will want them to follow all the guidelines).
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Latest news... COCKROACH Infestation :eek:

Link: http://www.insauga.com/update-results-o ... n-revealed
joeyjoejoe wrote: Conditional pass can be very severe, but they are easily fixable. My guess was they got all these conditions they needed to fix by Date X. Which they did, but then went back to their normal routine and got caught with a surprise inspection a few weeks later.
I think we have a winner here!

July 29th results:

Did operator provide adequate protection against pests? (Critical risk) No
Did operator maintain the food premises free from any condition that is a health hazard according to the Health Protection and Promotion Act? No
rageking wrote: Looks like Oceans didn't even bother with any safety steps. Based on this they got pest issues, cleaning issues, storage issues, lack of knowledge issues...

Looks like I will be eating my words here... well, that's preferable to eating at Oceans! :lol:
- casual gastronomist -
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
232 upvotes
fwiw, there are other reasons to be shut down then a dirty store. for example if a health inspector comes in and disovers you have no hot water, it'a an immediate red and immediate shut down
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
if it is a cockroach infestation, you still want to avoid this place for food for quite a while after it reopens simply because you cannot trust them to decontaminate the place properly. They might have left some foods in the open and exposed to the chemicals.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2712 posts
678 upvotes
Burlington
Too bad. Their sushi was cheap and decent for lunch.
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)