• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2018 10:00 am
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
4631 posts
254 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 2:48 pm

EDIT / ADD - Statistics show that most Lottery Winners burn thru their winnings in 5 years or less
By making a series of questionable / bad decisions
Be that investments, scams, addictions, or just spending crazily
And the nut bars come out of the woodwork wanting a piece of the action
No way i would want to go from where I am today to $ 1.6 Billion overnight
Even $ 60 Million would be over the top
$ 1 Million honestly sounds about right for most folks
Enough money to make a substantial difference in their lives
(Pay off a house, buy a car, nice vacations, help out their kids, plan for retirement etc)
Yup a $ 1 Million for 55 fellow Cdns sounds right by me for sure
Hope I am one of them
Excerpt from a recent study:

Here are some misconceptions about the fate of lottery winners that Cesarini's study appears to debunk.

People who win big lottery jackpots blow their money in a few years

Cesarini said that a common misconception is that the more a person wins in the lottery, the more likely he or she is to spend it all.

An often-cited — but incorrect — anecdote about lottery winners falsely attributed to the National Endowment for Financial Education claims that about 70% of people who suddenly receive a windfall of cash will lose it within a few years. In January 2018, the National Endowment for Financial Education set the record straight and said that statistic was not backed up by any of their research.
Join the winning team - Mario's Lottery Groups have won $104,548 so far this year!
Mario's Lottery Groups Thread
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9066 posts
6389 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Mario38 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 12:04 am
Excerpt from a recent study:

Here are some misconceptions about the fate of lottery winners that Cesarini's study appears to debunk.

People who win big lottery jackpots blow their money in a few years

Cesarini said that a common misconception is that the more a person wins in the lottery, the more likely he or she is to spend it all.

An often-cited — but incorrect — anecdote about lottery winners falsely attributed to the National Endowment for Financial Education claims that about 70% of people who suddenly receive a windfall of cash will lose it within a few years. In January 2018, the National Endowment for Financial Education set the record straight and said that statistic was not backed up by any of their research.
Interesting, so no real research to prove that often stated claim.

Thx
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1362 posts
158 upvotes
Went down to Niagara Falls yesterday and bought tickets for a few people. Went to Tops and were there when it opened. No line, no one after us, bought our tickets and were out of there in minutes.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Feb 27, 2007
92 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
Aside from all the tax laws, and with holdings chat...

How many Canadians have actually brought their tickets back across the border, and NOT had them confiscated?
How many Canadians have tried to bring their tickets back across the border, and HAD them confiscated?
How many people just mail it to themselves, ie to a Cross Border holding store? How much did that cost to Ship/Hold a ticket? My associated UPS Store charges $5 for pickup.
Who's just buried their ticket under a random rock in a random field and hope nobody picks it up before you can get back to it?
or who just hangs out in the US until the draw happens at 11pm? (How long does it take for the website to publish the winning numbers?)
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
4631 posts
254 upvotes
Slick Wik wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:25 am

How many Canadians have actually brought their tickets back across the border, and NOT had them confiscated?
How many Canadians have tried to bring their tickets back across the border, and HAD them confiscated?
How many people just mail it to themselves, ie to a Cross Border holding store? How much did that cost to Ship/Hold a ticket? My associated UPS Store charges $5 for pickup.
Who's just buried their ticket under a random rock in a random field and hope nobody picks it up before you can get back to it?
or who just hangs out in the US until the draw happens at 11pm? (How long does it take for the website to publish the winning numbers?)
When I used to buy tickets in the US, I left them in the US using the Shawshank method.

Join the winning team - Mario's Lottery Groups have won $104,548 so far this year!
Feb 27, 2007
92 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
There's a big hayfield up near Buxton. You know where Buxton is?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2007
4631 posts
254 upvotes
Slick Wik wrote:
How long does it take for the website to publish the winning numbers?
The best website to check the winning numbers is https://www.usamega.com/.

The numbers are usually posted about 45 minutes after the draw. The results are usually posted 1 to 1.5 hours after the draw. It will take probably longer for tomorrow's draw. The Friday draw results were delayed by several hours.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14092 posts
4050 upvotes
Here 'n There
Conquistador wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 7:29 pm
So I see that your answer is 'pompous windbag' just as I suspected it would be. :lol:
I know it's hard to be proven wrong but you really just need to deal with it.
Mar 6, 2014
491 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
I know the chances are slim to none and the expected return is less than what you paid for the ticket, but it's always nice to have a dream of winning the lottery.

It reminds me once when I was on a subway train and a really beautiful woman walked into the train and sat down. Her beauty sucked all of the air from the room and left everyone breathless. Strangely, the train was about 60% full and it was all men. I could see a lot of young men around me just starring at her, but no one dare to approach her, not even me. I knew the chances of getting her number or even sparking up a good conversation was less than 0.1%. My stop eventually came... I gave the beautiful woman one last look, hoping that her image would stay in my head for a little longer as I quietly walked out of the train.

The chances of me getting to know the most beautiful woman I have ever met was 0.1%, but by not even making an attempt, my chance was zero.

The chances of winning 1.6 Billion dollars US from Mega Millions is 0.0000003305%, but if you didn't buy a ticket, your chance is zero.
Mar 6, 2014
491 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Slick Wik wrote:

If you have the winning ticket to the $1.6Bil USD mega millions draw, believe me... bringing the ticket back to the US to claim the prize will not be an issue.

Spend 1 or 2 million dollars and hire the best law firm in the US to act on your behalf, then hire the best private wealth bankers on Wall Street to advise you... they will take care of everything.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11253 posts
2559 upvotes
Montréal
Statistics101 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 10:41 pm
I know the chances are slim to none and the expected return is less than what you paid for the ticket, but it's always nice to have a dream of winning the lottery.

It reminds me once when I was on a subway train and a really beautiful woman walked into the train and sat down. Her beauty sucked all of the air from the room and left everyone breathless. Strangely, the train was about 60% full and it was all men. I could see a lot of young men around me just starring at her, but no one dare to approach her, not even me. I knew the chances of getting her number or even sparking up a good conversation was less than 0.1%. My stop eventually came... I gave the beautiful woman one last look, hoping that her image would stay in my head for a little longer as I quietly walked out of the train.

The chances of me getting to know the most beautiful woman I have ever met was 0.1%, but by not even making an attempt, my chance was zero.

The chances of winning 1.6 Billion dollars US from Mega Millions is 0.0000003305%, but if you didn't buy a ticket, your chance is zero.
I liked your story but alas you're supposed to say you at least tried. ☺
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jun 5, 2007
235 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa
Last Saturday I crossed the border at 10:30 PM bought my tix then waited for the 11pm draw and websites post within minutes the draw numbers. If I had won I would just find a local hotel and stay until the morning and put the ticket in a safety deposit box.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
6970 posts
1577 upvotes
damn, id buy 100$worth if i had the chance! i seldom play the lottery here , almost been like a year since i last bought max ticket
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5907 posts
2623 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 10:17 pm
I know it's hard to be proven wrong but you really just need to deal with it.
I doubt that you're even remotely aware of how ironic that statement is. :lol: