Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
oculus

Oculus rift and touch controllers $549

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 9:48 am
Tags:
None
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
Hi,

Should I wait or pull the trigger on this? I'm going to be building a pc in the next couple weeks and was wondering if I should get this.
Are games expensive?
Dec 28, 2012
275 posts
160 upvotes
Quebec
Gord18Stirr wrote: Hi,

Should I wait or pull the trigger on this? I'm going to be building a pc in the next couple weeks and was wondering if I should get this.
Are games expensive?
There is a lot of free games included with the Rift. They are expensive when you compare them to regular 2D games like Skyrim that you get 200+ hours on the story for like 50$. A game like Arizona Sunshine cost 44$ for a 10 hours story but there is multiplayer and survival mode too to consider.

It's a good deal for what you get in my opinion, I paid nearly triple this price at launch and never felt remorse once I started using it.
Jul 17, 2017
36 posts
6 upvotes
jaydubz wrote: Except doubling the resolution will require a very powerful graphics card. Some people don't want to pay $1000 to run their games in VR. My GTX 1080 already has trouble running cutting edge games at 1440P, it's going to be more so running 1440x1440 PER EYE.
^^^ THIS!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth. The GPU power required to drive double the resolution will also drive the overall cost of the Microsoft headset up. I was OK with spending $500 on a 1070, but not $1000 on a 1080Ti. Sure, the higher resolution would be awesome, but not at double the cost. When the 1080Ti's are $500, then the Microsoft offering will become a lot more appealing.
Nov 13, 2016
445 posts
222 upvotes
anyone else order from Best Buy and successful in price matching with Oculus?
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1316 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: Double the resolution is a huge improvement. I'm sure all the Steam VR games will work on the new headsets. Fallout VR and Doom VR will definitely work with them. Also, this is not a long wait. It will be out before the end of the year. That's far from "forever", and it will give a better gaming experience for the same price.
Did you even watch that review video that someone posted? Well, good luck with that. A product that isn't released yet is better and also will definitely work with software that's also not out yet. Cool facts.....
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1316 upvotes
Arizona Sunshine and Batman VR are both really good, the graphics in Batman are mind blowing. Its a great detective game.
kuznagi wrote: Hi Guys,

Loving my bundle, am looking to get my first paid game. Loved Robo Recall. Any recommendations? I have games heard games The Climb, Mages Tale, Job Simulator, and Lone Echo are great. I see that there are bundles out as well:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bund ... 573020856/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bund ... 838268663/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/bund ... 204251928/
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
I am super happy with this purchase at $549 all in. I game at 4K usually, but moving to the rift, because the experience is so immersive and different the lowered resolution doesn't bother me one bit. Id say it just fades into the background, also lets me run my 290X and keep frames above the 90fps. Will there be better in the future? of course, is it worth waiting for any paying more for? nope. Glad I got in on it and cant wait to see friends reactions to their first times!

Now if youll, excuse me ive got some bots to recall
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
Bit the bullet and made an order. Not sure how long it will be before my order ships but will I be charged exactly 550 and nothing more?
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
I should probably build my pc before buying this, I hope the price doesn't go back up or anything.

Should I just buy it now to avoid the taxes/shipping from buying it somewhere else.. or just wait until I build my pc in a couple weeks?
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1316 upvotes
Gord18Stirr wrote: I should probably build my pc before buying this, I hope the price doesn't go back up or anything.

Should I just buy it now to avoid the taxes/shipping from buying it somewhere else.. or just wait until I build my pc in a couple weeks?
Price goes back up August 7th.
Dec 28, 2012
275 posts
160 upvotes
Quebec
Gord18Stirr wrote: I should probably build my pc before buying this, I hope the price doesn't go back up or anything.

The price will go back up in a couple of days, if you want the lowest price buy this right now directly from Oculus for 549$ all-in. You will probably receive it in 2-3 weeks since this sale as been very popular.
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
ziki61 wrote: The price will go back up in a couple of days, if you want the lowest price buy this right now directly from Oculus for 549$ all-in. You will probably receive it in 2-3 weeks since this sale as been very popular.
Thanks for the info, sorry wasn't going to read through 60 pages.

BTW did anyone post the ideal desktop computer setup for this?
Mar 15, 2008
358 posts
231 upvotes
Gord18Stirr wrote: Thanks for the info, sorry wasn't going to read through 60 pages.

BTW did anyone post the ideal desktop computer setup for this?
There was a walmart lenovo gaming computer and a dell deal floating around RFD last week and this week. Not sure if they are still active or not.
Jun 8, 2012
322 posts
126 upvotes
I received mine. Tried using it without the touch controllers for now since I haven't received my USB Hub yet. I'm not that impressed, the content is a little blurrier than what I was expecting. I knew it wasn't going to be 1080p like but at least close to 720p would've been great. But for me it seems like its 360-480p. Not sure if there's a setting I need to change. I did try moving it up and down on my face and changing the slider but it didn't help much. Maybe when I have touch controllers connected I won't notice these low quality issues? I hope so :(
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3334 upvotes
right now you can pretty much VR really well on a
5700k plus
16gb ram ddr4
video card 4gb if you can find one cheap on kijiji you might save a ton of money if you're just into vr.
the new hardware is unlikely going to come out until late 2018 and even 2019 and it may even be at full price considering what I just saw with the full gloves touch.
by that time ddr5 will have come out and it may make sense to upgrade again for next gen..
I even had a 2500 k and it was running fine. but I got a really great deal on a 6700k and motherboard and ram and it cost me about 300 difference after selling my old hardware..
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1316 upvotes
SHR3WD wrote: I received mine. Tried using it without the touch controllers for now since I haven't received my USB Hub yet. I'm not that impressed, the content is a little blurrier than what I was expecting. I knew it wasn't going to be 1080p like but at least close to 720p would've been great. But for me it seems like its 360-480p. Not sure if there's a setting I need to change. I did try moving it up and down on my face and changing the slider but it didn't help much. Maybe when I have touch controllers connected I won't notice these low quality issues? I hope so :(
Sounds like it's not on your face properly. Loosen the straps and readjust the headset very slightly until the image is clear. Mine is crystal clear even without my glasses/contacts.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2010
2602 posts
488 upvotes
DFR Headquarter
This looks interesting. Is this the new craze?

Question: will vr games be interchangeable with vr consoles or will it be another PS vs XB vs NINTENDO? The latter gets so expensive and i currently own all three.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
Bedboi wrote: This looks interesting. Is this the new craze?

Question: will vr games be interchangeable with vr consoles or will it be another PS vs XB vs NINTENDO? The latter gets so expensive and i currently own all three.
Well the Rift CV1 (consumer version 1) was released Jan 2016, so this is almost 2 year old tech. The HTC vive was released April 2016, so both headsets are well documented and the firmware/driver updates have significantly improved since.

As of right now, the Rift has its own eco-system with headset exclusives, but there is 'software' that allows HTC vive users to play Rift exclusive games. The Vive is on Valve's Steam ecosystem, but the Rift can play Vive games with some 'software' as well.

So yes, there is two giants in the VR space, both have their pros and cons, and both have 'some' exclusives.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
July 11th - Ordered from the Oculus store. Got an 'order received' email only.
July 18th - email received for 'order updated' and the credit card finally charged to paypal.
July 19th - received UPS tracking numbers for 3 boxes (headset, touch, extra sensor)
July 24th - received all three boxes. No customs/duties/taxes to pay.

Everyone is freaking out thinking that oculus will do a bait & switch, and send out gimped packages without the xbox controller even if you order the full package. I would suspect this is not something that a large company like oculus (aka facebook) would do. It should be obvious that pulling a blatant bait & switch like that is outright illegal. If anything, they will probably just cancel your order saying it isn't available anymore, and request you re-order using the new bundle link if you still want to order a rift. Keep in mind that NOBODY has received a gimped bundle yet. Everyone needs to just chill on this.