ODSP and Family Income

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2013 4:57 am
Tags:
None
Feb 8, 2013
1 posts

ODSP and Family Income

Ok, I live in Ontario. there is someone i know that has a 25 year daughter who is on ODSP, she has a mental disibility (I would say it's not too severe) which prevents her from getting a job. she lives with her parents. now she is somehow about to get a check every month for approx 800 to 900 dollars from ODSP, but her father is making about 50k to 60k a year.
I could definitely see if this person is living on their own and has to pay rent, to get assistance from the government.
i've heard of this before in which a child lives with their parents that they actually receive assistance when if they were not given the finanical assistance the parents make MORE than enough to support the child.
Is it based on if it's a disibility that is severe enough they still are provided money. because of them hard to find a job?
This situation just kind of baffles me :/
Any insight would be appreciated.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
12868 posts
1103 upvotes
I don't know what the criteria are for parental support, but given her age she probably just claims to rent and there is no obligation to report who she's living with.

On another note however, just because a parent makes decent money doesn't mean that they're willing to give any of it to you, even for school. It's best not to assume these things, especially when we're talking about a 25yo adult.
Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
New account and first post straight to OT.

And on a topic that's bound to generate attention.

OK, who are you, really? ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1678 posts
36 upvotes
she has a mental disability.... dose $$ really count?
She needs help .. ;)
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7168 posts
655 upvotes
I dont blame OP for posting that because he/she has no experience in this kind of situation before. And of course I hope it will never happen to you. Think about it, how can a person with mental health problem living alone? Plus the medicine is kinda expensive. Or his or her parents prefer to take care of the person and hence staying together?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1989 posts
195 upvotes
nickr11 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 6:56 am
Ok, I live in Ontario. there is someone i know that has a 25 year daughter who is on ODSP, she has a mental disibility (I would say it's not too severe) which prevents her from getting a job. she lives with her parents. now she is somehow about to get a check every month for approx 800 to 900 dollars from ODSP, but her father is making about 50k to 60k a year.
I could definitely see if this person is living on their own and has to pay rent, to get assistance from the government.
i've heard of this before in which a child lives with their parents that they actually receive assistance when if they were not given the finanical assistance the parents make MORE than enough to support the child.
Is it based on if it's a disibility that is severe enough they still are provided money. because of them hard to find a job?
Don't hate. My cumpare dated a chick on ODSP she was a sweetheart
Aug 31, 2008
512 posts
169 upvotes
Barrie
You seek insight, why?

nickr11 wrote:
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1037 posts
55 upvotes
Hamilton
$800-$900 is much cheaper then the government (TAX PAYER) paying for her to stay in Ontario housing.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
260 upvotes
Maybe your confusing this regular welfare?

ODSP is different than regular benfits. Either way living on $900/m isn't much at the end of the day.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24621 posts
2350 upvotes
Ottawa
nickr11 wrote:
A 25 year old is not a child and has no parental control and where they choose to live and pay rent is immaterial. If they are entitled, then they can collect.
You being baffled is your issue. The rest is none of your business really.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6166 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Here's thought why not mind you own business and leave the person alone. You don't know anything about them or there mental situation. I'm sure they've enough issues dealing with a mental disability and don't need you dicating about what income they should make.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1472 posts
138 upvotes
nickr11 wrote:
First off - 50-60k is not a lot of money.

A family income of 100k isn't uncommon. If both parents work full time and make 50k each is that too much? Seriously ppl?

It is for this reason that many ppl who need funding such as ODSP and OSAP don't qualify. Is it really alot of money for 2 parents to make 50k each??

That is pennies now a days.
Dec 23, 2006
806 posts
50 upvotes
Oshawa
ODSP is a joke really.

Like many social programs there are those who truly need it and those who just want the handout. I have been on ODSP for a few years out of necessity and definitely not by choice. Personally I am not a fan of living on a government handout, but at the end of the day no one wants to hire something they see as a liability. I spent three years going to interviews for jobs I was over qualified for, but each time they "went in another direction". It's funny that a friend chastised me for "leeching off the taxpayers", yet a year later he got on ODSP for "depression" and admitted he just didn't want to work, but I digress.

Now pertaining to the OP, well it's a bit of interesting situation. When it comes to ODSP you have to state what your monthly housing cost (rent) is. You can live with family (IIRC), however if you were to say state you have to pay $500/month for rent then the family member would have to claim that as income. That is my understanding anyway.

So if she is not paying rent to her parents then technically she should only receive the basic needs portion and nothing for shelter costs.

Living off of ODSP sucks and I would never wish it upon anyway. People in prison live better (more or less). Three hot meals, roof over their heads, etc. With rental prices in the GTA (I am in Oshawa) for a one bedroom apartment 80% of my monthly ODSP income goes to rent.

And with how the government is ANYTHING you get that is considered a "gift" technically needs to be claimed. I was told getting $100 in a birthday card is technically considered income that needs to be reported.

They say want to overhaul ODSP, but I don't see it happening. It's funny how each year they raise it by 1% (about $10 for most), yet most times property management increases rent by 2-3% so each year you are that much more below the poverty line.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
venividivici wrote:
Feb 12th, 2013 4:15 am
ODSP is a joke really.

Like many social programs there are those who truly need it and those who just want the handout. I have been on ODSP for a few years out of necessity and definitely not by choice. Personally I am not a fan of living on a government handout, but at the end of the day no one wants to hire something they see as a liability. I spent three years going to interviews for jobs I was over qualified for, but each time they "went in another direction". It's funny that a friend chastised me for "leeching off the taxpayers", yet a year later he got on ODSP for "depression" and admitted he just didn't want to work, but I digress.

Now pertaining to the OP, well it's a bit of interesting situation. When it comes to ODSP you have to state what your monthly housing cost (rent) is. You can live with family (IIRC), however if you were to say state you have to pay $500/month for rent then the family member would have to claim that as income. That is my understanding anyway.

So if she is not paying rent to her parents then technically she should only receive the basic needs portion and nothing for shelter costs.

Living off of ODSP sucks and I would never wish it upon anyway. People in prison live better (more or less). Three hot meals, roof over their heads, etc. With rental prices in the GTA (I am in Oshawa) for a one bedroom apartment 80% of my monthly ODSP income goes to rent.

And with how the government is ANYTHING you get that is considered a "gift" technically needs to be claimed. I was told getting $100 in a birthday card is technically considered income that needs to be reported.

They say want to overhaul ODSP, but I don't see it happening. It's funny how each year they raise it by 1% (about $10 for most), yet most times property management increases rent by 2-3% so each year you are that much more below the poverty line.
Living with her parents would qualify her as living in a "boarding or lodging" situation, so she would be eligible for that rate, which is currently 760 bucks a month.

If she were living on her own, she would be eligible for the basic amount of $596 per month and a housing allowance for the actual costs of her housing, up to $479 per month. That would put her total draw at up to a wopping $1075 per month.

As everyone should be able to see, this is not exactly a generous program.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
nickr11 wrote:
50k-60k per year is not all that much money, especially if you are expected to financially support your adult children in perpetuity.
× < >