Careers

Offered Unpaid Internship from Investor's Group Worth it ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2016 12:03 am
Mar 17, 2015
183 posts
53 upvotes
North York, ON

Offered Unpaid Internship from Investor's Group Worth it ?

So I am being offered an unpaid internship position at Investor's Group (Full time/Part time). It's not a co-op from my school but just a way to get experience and maybe start from somewhere. I can end my internship anytime I want to and maybe in the future I can land a full time paid opportunity is it worth it ? Most of you guys would think it isn't worth it but from my perspective I see it is something valuable to put in on my resume or a starting point
17 replies
Dec 28, 2010
650 posts
298 upvotes
Cocoboy1993 wrote: from my perspective I see it is something valuable to put in on my resume or a starting point
Well then I agree with you. Go for it.
(And when you have experience quickly switch to Freedom55 :) )
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Cocoboy1993 wrote: So I am being offered an unpaid internship position at Investor's Group (Full time/Part time). It's not a co-op from my school but just a way to get experience and maybe start from somewhere. I can end my internship anytime I want to and maybe in the future I can land a full time paid opportunity is it worth it ? Most of you guys would think it isn't worth it but from my perspective I see it is something valuable to put in on my resume or a starting point
I would go with "no", but if you've got nothing better to do, then maybe? Until something better comes along?

Check out this Ministry of Labor posting:
https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es ... nships.php

C
Mar 17, 2015
183 posts
53 upvotes
North York, ON
CNeufeld wrote: I would go with "no", but if you've got nothing better to do, then maybe? Until something better comes along?

Check out this Ministry of Labor posting:
https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es ... nships.php

C
I have never really worked in a corporate environment before and since this can be done part time I can handle school/work as well . Also I see it as a starting point to gain experience not like other kids who cry for not getting job in their field mainly because not having sufficient work experience.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You're welcome to take it if you want. But you should be eligible for at least minimum wage if they get a benefit from it.

C
Nov 21, 2016
95 posts
92 upvotes
I admire your attitude but something about this "Internship" sounds fishy.

You can leave whenever you want? That doesn't sound legit. Legit unpaid internships are still competitive and requires a lengthy process.

Could you tell us more about the position?
Last edited by User699930 on Dec 23rd, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 21, 2016
95 posts
92 upvotes
Bro I just Googled "investors group scam" and found alot of sketchy stories bro.

I would stay away from this company. They seem shady as hell.

They probally want you to join so that they have a connection to your family and friends. Then, they try to sell overpriced financial products to them.
Bro it's a scam.

Sorry to have to tell you this. The world is a tough place. Can't believe it comes down to this.... alot of fking scammers out there man praying on students.

Life sucks.
Sep 11, 2014
173 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
User699930 wrote: Bro I just Googled "investors group scam" and found alot of sketchy stories bro.

I would stay away from this company. They seem shady as hell.

They probally want you to join so that they have a connection to your family and friends. Then, they try to sell overpriced financial products to them.
Bro it's a scam.

Sorry to have to tell you this. The world is a tough place. Can't believe it comes down to this.... alot of fking scammers out there man praying on students.

Life sucks.
100% commission based and you have to find the clients. I'd stay away as well.
Jul 9, 2015
210 posts
265 upvotes
Juggernaut1 wrote: 100% commission based and you have to find the clients. I'd stay away as well.
LOL commission or not, op clearly said it's unpaid so the pay structure doesn't matter. Op seems to be interested in a corporate environment and I think that this would help them. Not every employer even knows that IG has a shady business model. At the end of the day, IG is a large financial company with big offices. Having it on the resume should certainly help make op a bit more competitive than classmates.

Only advice would be to leave the job after a few months and definitely not stay long term. Just use it as a stepping stone to polish your resume for better opportunities (hopefully paid) down the road.
Nov 21, 2016
95 posts
92 upvotes
User244040 wrote: LOL commission or not, op clearly said it's unpaid so the pay structure doesn't matter. Op seems to be interested in a corporate environment and I think that this would help them. Not every employer even knows that IG has a shady business model. At the end of the day, IG is a large financial company with big offices. Having it on the resume should certainly help make op a bit more competitive than classmates.

Only advice would be to leave the job after a few months and definitely not stay long term. Just use it as a stepping stone to polish your resume for better opportunities (hopefully paid) down the road.
Bro you don't get it. His position in Investors Group is a SCAM.

It takes ADVANTAGE of people like OP who thinks he is getting experience when in reality the company is trying to STEAL his personal connections in order to increase sales.

They don't give a shit about teaching or training him. They just want his information and free labour. It's fking SICK how poor innocent people like OP are TRICKED so EASILY.
No wonder the world is so fked up.

Yes they have big corporate offices, but they are not filled with interns bro. They are filled with lying corporate scum who literally got rich by tricking millions of stupid naive people.

I don't see how getting scammed would improve his resume at all. It's 100x times better for him to volunteer at a charity or work minimum wage in retail or mcdonalds. Like I did when I was in school.
And now I work for the fking government at Scarborough Town Centre.

EDIT: FK! Sorry. Scammers make me so fking angry. Because I was broke growing up and have been scammed before. They are literally shit scum rat human beings. I was fking broke my entire life and I NEVER resorted to scamming or tricking people for money. These corporations sicken me.
Last edited by User699930 on Dec 24th, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 17, 2015
183 posts
53 upvotes
North York, ON
User699930 wrote: Bro you don't get it. His position in Investors Group is a SCAM.

It takes ADVANTAGE of people like OP who thinks he is getting experience when in reality the company is trying to STEAL his personal connections in order to increase sales.

They don't give a shit about teaching or training him. They just want his information and free labour. It's fking SICK how poor innocent people like OP are TRICKED so EASILY.
No wonder the world is so fked up.

Yes they have big corporate offices, but they are not filled with interns bro. They are filled with lying corporate scum who literally got rich by tricking millions of stupid naive people.

I don't see how getting scammed would improve his resume at all. It's 100x times better for him to volunteer at a charity or work minimum wage in retail or mcdonalds. Like I did when I was in school.
And now I work for the fking government at Scarborough Town Centre.
So tell me how did you land your job because quiet honestly I don't want to work in retail for the rest of my life
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
go for few days, check out whats going on, what they get u to do, etc.
Just leave if its not related to your field and/or scam shit.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
OP, i would try out the internship and see if you like it. IF there are some skill that you see can be transferred into a future role then it will look good on your resume.

If it's feeling like a full time job, using up a lot of your energy and is purely just sales then i would leave afterwards and stick with your current retail job since it's the same (sales).

Just give it a week to see how it goes. That diversity on your resume will look good
Nov 21, 2016
95 posts
92 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: go for few days, check out whats going on, what they get u to do, etc.
Just leave if its not related to your field and/or scam shit.
Yes good idea but be careful though.

These corporations are masters of munipulation. They are specialized in scamming people without them even knowing. Don't sign anything and resist the urge to punch one of these rich corporate f@ggots in the face.
Nov 21, 2016
95 posts
92 upvotes
Okay Investors Group is not entirely a scam. I did more research. Check out this article.

http://financialuproar.com/2012/09/12/t ... ors-group/

What Investors Group does is sell overpriced financial products to stupid people. (Old rich people is their primary market). Then they charge outrageous fees. I can't really say that is a scam, it's a legitimate business model even if that is horribly unethical and morally incorrect.

If you are on the streets busting your ass selling lucky rocks for 5$ and old rich people buy it, is that a scam? Not really.

In conclusion, this business relies on stupid rich people who knows nothing about finance / economics to make money. It is entirely legit but extremely unethical...
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
investors group is about as a scam as it can get, close to the levels of MLM.
Nov 24, 2011
278 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
User699930 wrote: I can't really say that is a scam, it's a legitimate business model even if that is horribly unethical and morally incorrect.
I think that is literally the definition of a scam
Nov 21, 2016
95 posts
92 upvotes
JuliTheNub wrote: I think that is literally the definition of a scam
Yeah pretty much.

What pisses me off is how the company specifically targets students cause we are dumb ass shit. Some guy literally made millions of dollars going "Hey! Let's lie to stupid desperate students about an internship. We can use them for sales hahahahah!"

Something similar destroyed my friend's future. He had great grades, a strong work ethic and a shitload of potential.

God what a horrible world we live in.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)