Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4462 posts
584 upvotes
TheCFSBF wrote:
Aug 12th, 2014 11:59 am
My point was that such services mean people don't actually have to learn how their sites work, which means they don't easily know how it's SEO influencing factors are functioning and interacting. It's the nature of technology: the more things are dumbed down so accessibility is increased, expertise becomes more rare.

There's always going to be a benefit for tearing into the code oneself. The examples on their own site are a clear indicator of it, especially if you pop open their source code to have a look.
Is your argument that all business owners should know the technical inner-workings of their websites and have the SEO expertise to go along with it? Yes, Weebly abstracts a lot of things away from it's non-technical users, but does that make it less valuable? It's a tradeoff, but based on how Weebly is doing, plenty of people seem to think it provides a valuable service. If people need help with the more technical aspects, they can hire someone for that...
May 28, 2013
68 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
Kohanz wrote:
Aug 12th, 2014 1:57 pm
Is your argument that all business owners should know the technical inner-workings of their websites and have the SEO expertise to go along with it? Yes, Weebly abstracts a lot of things away from it's non-technical users, but does that make it less valuable?
Clearly, my point is that if you're going to build your website yourself to save money, a wise small business owner will do so in a proper fashion that will provide the most effective result. Getting something for free that costs you money in the long run due to ineffective design is not a great business move.
It's a tradeoff, but based on how Weebly is doing, plenty of people seem to think it provides a valuable service.
Popularity =/= effectiveness. I professionally do website effectiveness assessments, and I'll find horrible mistakes made by professional web designers. How well do you think people ignorant of web design best practices, or those using services like Weebly, tend to hold up given that? (Like, as I said, almost all of the websites Weebly links to from their homepage as satisfied customers.) If you don't know what to look for, a judgement of whether or not it is a "valuable service" tends to be based primarily on how the site looks rather than functions.
If people need help with the more technical aspects, they can hire someone for that...
So, if the people who build their own website using a free service like Weebly have problems with the resulting website, they can then hire someone to fix it?

How is that logical?

As I pointed out, if they don't know enough about site design, how will they recognize the problems? I recently did a website assessment for an experienced web designer who didn't realize his site wasn't indexing for 3 months because of a simple coding error, for example. The page looked fine, was having participating visitors due to social media, but had absolutely no movement in search engines or new indexing for the new content they were adding. Had I not done the assessment, they would this week be preparing for a major product launch without knowing there was no way for the Internet to learn about their product beyond their off-site direct linking efforts. The issue he had was one that is common amongst people who use Wix.

You think inexperienced, non-web designers are going to spot something like that? Of course not. That's why they are so happy with their websites -- as are the people linked to from the Weebly homepage. They're clearly happy with their websites, not realizing how poorly they are actually performing because they don't know any better.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4462 posts
584 upvotes
I think the statement "you get what you pay for" sums up your position, and I would tend to agree with that. That doesn't mean, however, the Weebly doesn't have value. It just means that most of the users on their are content with what it provides them. You may think that they are being ignorant, but I would contend that not all users have the same SEO or web-presence needs.

My main counter-point was that business owners DO NOT need to know the technical aspects of their implementations. When they hire a professional like you, they do so exactly because they want you to lay it out for them, not so that they can learn those things themselves. Weebly is just another service, much farther down the cost/quality scale.
May 28, 2013
68 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I agree not everyone has the same needs, but that actually feeds into my point: free services like Weebly and Wix are a baseline "solution." They shoot for the lowest common denominator regarding function and instead look to rope people in with appearance.

Case in point why such free services can be a problem down the road: website-help-1531067/

The bottom line is, when it comes to getting free stuff for your business, you're more often than not going to get what you pay for. I would no more go with Weebly or Wix to design my business website than I would use a royalty free logo generator for my company's branding. Cutting corners with one's website is about the worst thing a small business can do these days with regards to its online presence and identity.
Aug 11, 2014
23 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thank you for pointing out Weebly. I'll consider your services. We're currently building a yoga calling-card style website that would fall into your requirements
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4988 posts
720 upvotes
God bless this coincidence. Welcome to the forum!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
Hey guys, how does my website look? http://msbch.ydns.eu/
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
ichpen wrote:
Aug 14th, 2014 12:48 am
Terrible
Yea but why tho?
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6946 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
MehtabS wrote:
Aug 14th, 2014 8:13 am
Yea but why tho?
Really?

OK,

1. No content
2. No structure
3. Embedded CSS
4. Horrible background that flickers when scrolling
5. Bad banner image which makes the title difficult to read
6. The site will obviously not render well on mobile obviously

etc etc
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
ichpen wrote:
Aug 14th, 2014 9:29 am
Really?

OK,

1. No content
2. No structure
3. Embedded CSS
4. Horrible background that flickers when scrolling
5. Bad banner image which makes the title difficult to read
6. The site will obviously not render well on mobile obviously

etc etc
Sorry, I am not a professional web developer and still learning. The content will be there once I get the design right. Thanks for feedback though.

Just tested on mobile and it renders perfectly..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6946 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
MehtabS wrote:
Aug 14th, 2014 9:46 am
Sorry, I am not a professional web developer and still learning. The content will be there once I get the design right. Thanks for feedback though.

Just tested on mobile and it renders perfectly..
No worries. It will not render well on mobile once you have content.

If you're new to this get yourself a grid skeleton to help you with the structure, layout and responsiveness.

Whilst it's admirable that you're starting from scratch if you don't have experience you should look into some basic templates that you can hack to make your own. They will at the very least give you a good foundation to start from.

If you don't know what the differences are between various grids look here for a comparison.
http://responsive.vermilion.com/compare.php
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4988 posts
720 upvotes
MehtabS wrote:
Aug 14th, 2014 8:13 am
Yea but why tho?
Is this real? I assumed your account was hacked and it's a virus.
First I wondered why it was a .eu site, then I got a notice from Avast. I didn't visit it.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
330 upvotes
Mississauga
baz5 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2014 9:07 pm
Is this real? I assumed your account was hacked and it's a virus.
First I wondered why it was a .eu site, then I got a notice from Avast. I didn't visit it.
It is real. I am making changes around from time to time. I didn't buy a dot com domain yet and host it from my computer.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2004
4988 posts
720 upvotes
Oh okay. Better figure out why I'm getting antivirus alerts though, that's not good for anyone.