Students

Offers: Beedie vs BMOS vs Rotman

Apr 15, 2019
1 posts

Offers: Beedie vs BMOS vs Rotman

Hi everyone, I'm now a Gr 12 student with a GPA around 92-93.

I recently received a few conditional offers from SFU Beedie, Western BMOS (not AEO), McMaster DeGroot, and UT Rotman.
I heard that Rotman has a really competitive environment with a huge number of students per class, so I'm not sure if I can even survive its first year.
I also heard that it is not that difficult to transfer from BMOS to Ivey, but I'm not sure if that is correct.
I do know that I could get a decent GPA in Beedie. (I guess)
So my preferred options now are SFU Beedie and UT Rotman, but I'm still not sure about which one I should go.

My questions are:
How hard is it for a BMOS student to enter Ivey?
How hard is it for a Rotman student to enter Ivey?
Which university should I choose?

Any suggestions and/or comments are welcome!
Thank you!!!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1075 posts
61 upvotes
I know you're only in 12th grade so your answer to this may/will change over time, but 1) What career are you most interested in pursuing?, and 2) Where (geographically) do you see yourself post-graduation?

In terms of best opportunities and potential mobility, Rotman seems to be the best option out of three (in my opinion).

In terms of difficulty entering Ivey from BMOS vs Rotman, it's hard to say. Looking at Ivey's website (https://www.ivey.uwo.ca/hba/admission/u ... years-1-2/), it appears that only 1/3 of their class (or approximately 200 students based on Ivey's HBA 2018 employment report) come from other programs/universities. Assuming you weren't able to get into AEO (Ivey's pre-HBA program), how confident are you that you can be in the top 200 applicants to transfer in?

Lots to think about, but of the three, I'd personally pick Rotman.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's very easy for BMOS students to transfer to Ivey as long as you have good grades, join clubs, and can write a good story.

I'd choose BMOS since you seem like you want to go to Ivey the most. Rotman is also good, but ultimately it depends on what kind of career you want to go into as both schools have pros and cons. Western is definitely more fun than St. George that's for sure lol.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
If your ultimate intention is to get into Ivey's HBA program, then pick a program that will be most easiest to get the highest GPA possible in your first year to transfer in. Which probably means BMOS or McMaster. If that is the goal, then the rep of the school/program doesn't matter, go for one with the chance of high gpa.

If you are unsure about getting into HBA or want a better fallback program, if you don't get into HBA, then of all the options you presented, Rotman would be good choice. Even if you can't transfer to HBA, the Rotman commerce is a great program. Forewarn, its very hard to get high grades at Rotman.

You haven't mentioned Smith or Schulich as other possibilities? Those are 2 other formidable options in your position.