Ongoing Deal Discussion

[LEGO] Offical Lego Thread - Sales, Deals and Other Chat

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2019 10:40 pm
Feb 6, 2019
43 posts
11 upvotes
I'm looking to get into some Lego Technic. I'm looking for suggestions on good all around sets to get started, something with a good variety of pieces for free play innovation. Any suggestions?
Aug 8, 2009
155 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
My Star Wars Imperial Shuttle from TRU was just cancelled. Heads up to other people that might have ordered one.
Mar 21, 2008
710 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
cswloo wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 11:25 am
My Star Wars Imperial Shuttle from TRU was just cancelled. Heads up to other people that might have ordered one.
same here... but it was my second one so it’s probably for the best =P
Jun 10, 2013
35 posts
20 upvotes
cswloo wrote:
Me too :(
Dec 3, 2019
1 posts
cswloo wrote:
Ordered twice, canceled twice.

But I did have success with the Costco deals on the modulars. Note if Corner Garage is not your cup of tea, the Diner is $60 off if you use a Mastercard (stackable with the $20 email promo signup).

Thanks to everyone on this thread who has contributed! I have scored many bargains due to this thread over the years (and finally created an account here :P ).
Jan 28, 2012
32 posts
6 upvotes
CALGARY
I think the passenger train dropped from $150 to $139 at Costco.
Aug 25, 2011
38 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
Shozzking wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 2:06 pm
I think the passenger train dropped from $150 to $139 at Costco.
Its been $139 at various places for a while. Its still $139 on amazon right now. I'm waiting for 50% on that set, I find the trains overpriced considering the similarities with past models.
Jul 19, 2008
230 posts
115 upvotes
North York
lukecs wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 2:37 pm
Its been $139 at various places for a while. Its still $139 on amazon right now. I'm waiting for 50% on that set, I find the trains overpriced considering the similarities with past models.
What do you think about the cargo train set (60198 ) for $178? I picked up one up in the lightning deal on Monday from Amazon as it looked to me to be better value than the passenger train at $139.
Aug 25, 2011
38 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
torrentman wrote:
Dec 4th, 2019 2:49 pm
What do you think about the cargo train set (60198 ) for $178? I picked up one up in the lightning deal on Monday from Amazon as it looked to me to be better value than the passenger train at $139.
I agree, I picked it up on amazon last December for $178. I think thats a good value, although it will likely go lower.
Aug 25, 2011
38 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
Technic has some advantages over regular Lego in that many of the elements are heavily repeated between sets. I suggest you focus on buying sets that are a good value (cost per piece) and if you plan to make your own creations (MOCs), avoid applying stickers.

You also need to consider what type of functionality you care about. If you are buying for the types of pieces; are you interested in gears, or more of the structural elements, do you want powered components? Many of the newer powered sets use smart phone apps to control that use the power up system. While this system is compatible with Lego boost the programming functionality in boost is not yet available for the Technic sets. Ie for MOCs I would avoid Lego power Up sets until they release an update to the programming interface.

That all said there has been some excellent deals for Technic. Head over to the official Lego thread and watch for sales at the major retailers. It's fairly common for Technic sets to go for 30% off. In the past couple of years some of the largest sets were sold at a significant discount of up to 60% off.
Mar 21, 2008
710 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anyone see the 2020 star wars sets at their local toys r us? i heard they are already on shelves at some locations...

does anyone know when they will officially be released???

i’m looking forward to the mandalorean battle pack... i hope they add some baby yoda sets to the January release but i won’t get my hopes up
Feb 6, 2019
43 posts
11 upvotes
I'm thinking to start I'd like a balance of structural, mechanical & electric. What's a good average price per piece? Are the larger sets generally a better ppp or only when on big sales?
Aug 4, 2009
132 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
Lego Millennium Falcon UCS 75192 in stock at mastermind toy just now. ordered 1
May 27, 2010
373 posts
135 upvotes
logitechG5 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2019 12:12 am
Lego Millennium Falcon UCS 75192 in stock at mastermind toy just now. ordered 1
Amazing. 20% off and free shipping. $719.99 before tax.

Thread Information

There are currently 14 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 10 guests)

TurdFergusons, Brickguy, jpm168, CanKon