• Aug 29th, 2014 4:36 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 26, 2014
1 posts
Calgary, AB

Office location for lawyers/accountants - client perspective

New to the forum, and hoping that the small business guys here can help me out. I'm curious about client opinions regarding office location/space for both legal practices and law practices:

- Does a "downtown" practice indicate a certain level of prestige to you?
- Is there a specific "type" of office an accountant or lawyer needs to "have", or does that not matter anymore in today's start-up world?
- Does distance from the office location determine whether or not you use the practitioner?
- As a client, does going downtown have a certain allure, or is it a headache? (Things like paying for parking, traffic, etc.) Feel free to list your biggest gripes, if any.

There seems to be a certain stereotype held that these practices need to be "downtown" in order to be successful, but I've encountered business owners who have quite the hatred for downtown, and much prefer something local and convenient. I'm curious to see what the forum here thinks about the current trends for an accounting or law practice specifically with regards to opening a fresh practice.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1851 posts
245 upvotes
Calgary
It would mainly be a measure of whom you are trying to attract as clients. If your target market is major corporate accounts, they are probably not going to travel to a small suburban office to do business. If your target is small business then closer to residential areas is fine. For mid sized businesses a location in a modest office near the industrial/commercial end of town would probably be best.

Any intelligent business person knows (or should know) he has to pay for the leather upholstery and downtown address through his fees.