Wheels and Tires

[Official] All-Weather Tire Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 3:25 pm

Poll: Have you owned any of these tires? If so, which one(s) do you recommend?

• Total votes: 198. You have voted on this poll.
Nokian WRG4 or WRG4 SUV

31%
Nordman WR or WR SUV (or Nokian WRG2 / WRG2 SUV)

14%
Nokian Rotiiva AT

2%
Toyo Celsius

13%
Kumho Solus HA31

13%
Hankook Kinergy 4S

1%
Vredstein Quatrac 5

1%
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

12%
Minerva Emi Zero All Weather

2%
Firestone WeatherGrip

13%
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
JB7 wrote: Okay, I'll take that into consideration then. You didn't happen to measure real world fuel economy before the switch, did you?
Yep! It varies between 12-13.5L per 100km.
The large variance is because im downtown every week... and you get those jams where it takes 5 minutes to crawl one block. Lol

Then a friggin uber pulls over with emergency blinkers on and holds up a lane! Then a drunk guy wanders across a red light. But thats for a different thread.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1658 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver Island
UrbanPoet wrote: Yep! It varies between 12-13.5L per 100km.
The large variance is because im downtown every week... and you get those jams where it takes 5 minutes to crawl one block. Lol

Then a friggin uber pulls over with emergency blinkers on and holds up a lane! Then a drunk guy wanders across a red light. But thats for a different thread.
Haha, thanks for the info! I'm leaning towards the Yokohama, probably going to be less than 1L/100 km difference. I also want Kal-Tire's service.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
OEM size on my car is 215/70R16 but Toyo Celsius doesn't come in this size

Shop recommended Goodyear Weather Ready, but it seems this is a new product so the reviews are limited plus it's a bit expensive. There's also Nordman WR but the warranty is only 65k KM, which means it probably will only last around 50k?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
RFDQ1016 wrote: OEM size on my car is 215/70R16 but Toyo Celsius doesn't come in this size

Shop recommended Goodyear Weather Ready, but it seems this is a new product so the reviews are limited plus it's a bit expensive. There's also Nordman WR but the warranty is only 65k KM, which means it probably will only last around 50k?
The GoodYear WeatherReady is eligible for a $100 mail-in-rebate so take that into account as well.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Dec 3, 2009
282 posts
76 upvotes
Burlington
I am interested in Celsius I called OK tire in Burlington they have don't offer road hazard warranty , any other suggestions? 205/60/r16 92H KIA Niro.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
rugman100 wrote: I am interested in Celsius I called OK tire in Burlington they have don't offer road hazard warranty , any other suggestions? 205/60/r16 92H KIA Niro.
Look on the Toyo site for other possible tire dealers, or you could consider getting the Nordman WR from Kal tire.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Toyo Celsius UK review: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... yre-review
If the Kumho had a definite snow focus, that could not be seen with the Toyo Celsius, which sat in the middle of the pack on the white stuff and closely matched the summer-orientated Michelin CrossClimate +.

While the Toyo had the measure of rivals Hankook and Falken, it was close on the snow tests. And the maker hasn’t sacrificed this to boost wet grip; across our increased number of wet tests it topped only the struggling Kumho.

It was close to the best in the straight aquaplaning assessment, but wasn’t so good when the asymmetric tread was distorted in the curved test. The lack of grip in the wet could be felt on the handling circuit, where care was needed on entry speed as it pushed wide readily. We also had to wait to get on the throttle to avoid wheelspin.

It felt sharper in the dry with good steering and grip that lasts longer than some. Plus, if you want a quiet tyre this is the one to go for.
Kumho HA31 UK review: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessorie ... yre-review
In the face of newer designs the Kumho struggled – it was launched in 2014 – although the gap to the frontrunners was fairly small. It certainly suffered more than most from our focus on wet grip at the expense of outright performance on snow.

It was fourth on the white stuff, behind Goodyear, Nokian and Nexen. Third in braking was the highlight, and it worked well on the handling circuit, albeit off the pace and feel of the best.

Its troubles started in the wet, where it ended up last overall. Braking let it down regardless of temperature; it needed five metres more in the cold and over four metres extra in warmer weather than the standout Michelin.

It was controllable but slow on the handling track with generally low levels of grip and poor traction. Performance didn’t get much better in the dry, while fuel consumption was around four per cent off that of the dry-handling star Nokian.

Generally, the Celsius performs better than the Kumho in everything except snow. Both tires have room for improvement.

If the prices are close, get a set of Nokian WRG3 over the Toyo Celsius, but if the Celsius is significantly cheaper than the WRG3 (as in my case), the Celsius could be a decent compromise.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Aug 26, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
WINNIPEG
dealseaker101 wrote: The Nordman WR is an almost identical version of the old WRG2. The rubber is slightly softer on the Nordman WR compared to the old WRG2, so it will work a bit better in the winter but dry/summer handling will be impacted a little. The WRG3 is a little more well-rounded meaning that it's a little better in the summer, but a little worse in the winter compared to the WR/WRG2.

For my money, I'd go with the Nordman WR because neither the WR nor the WRG3 will turn your car into a racecar in the summer. The Nordman WR is also a lot cheaper.
Any insight on how the Nordman WR or WRG3 might compare to the Rotiiva AT (currently $50 off a set of 4)?

Looking for a set of year round tires for my 2005 Honda CR-V, 215/65R16, that can handle a Winnipeg winter.

In an ideal world, I'd have 2 sets of tires (dedicated winter + all seasons/summers) but for a variety of reasons (money, how much longer I will own the vehicle, and storage), I'm thinking of just going with one set all year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
mkreden wrote: Any insight on how the Nordman WR or WRG3 might compare to the Rotiiva AT (currently $50 off a set of 4)?

Looking for a set of year round tires for my 2005 Honda CR-V, 215/65R16, that can handle a Winnipeg winter.
I haven't seen any direct comparisons, but I believe the Rotiiva has an emphasis on off-roading. In terms of on-road ice/snow performance, the WR/WRG3 might be better, but by how much? It is difficult to say. The Rotiiva is cheaper and has the winter snowflake designation so it can't be too bad. The Kal-Tire website has their own ratings for all the tires so you can compare the theoretical performance:

Summer
Braking

Dry: Rotiiva-4.5 / WRG3 SUV-4.0
Wet: Rotiiva-5.0 / WRG3 SUV-5.0
Gravel: Rotiiva- / WRG3 SUV-5.0

Cornering
Dry: Rotiiva-4.0 / WRG3 SUV-5.0
Wet: Rotiiva-4.5 / WRG3 SUV-4.0
Gravel: Rotiiva- / WRG3 SUV-3.0

Road Noise: Rotiiva-3.0 / WRG3 SUV-4.0
Hydroplane Resistance: Rotiiva-4.0 / WRG3 SUV-5.0

Mud Acceleration: Rotiiva- / WRG3 SUV-4.0
Rolling Resistance: Rotiiva-4.5 / WRG3 SUV-4.0

Winter
Braking
Dry: Rotiiva-4.0 / WRG3 SUV-5.0
Wet: Rotiiva-3.5 / WRG3 SUV-4.0
Snow: Rotiiva-4.0 / WRG3 SUV-4.5
Ice: Rotiiva-2.5 / WRG3 SUV-2.5

Cornering
Dry: Rotiiva-3.5 / WRG3 SUV-5.0
Wet: Rotiiva-5.0 / WRG3 SUV-4.5
Snow: Rotiiva-3.0 / WRG3 SUV-3.0
Ice: Rotiiva-2.5 / WRG3 SUV-3.5

Road Noise: Rotiiva-5.0 / WRG3 SUV-3.0
Hydroplane Resistance: Rotiiva-4.5 / WRG3 SUV-4.5

Slush Handling
Straight Line: Rotiiva-4.5 / WRG3 SUV-5.0
Cornering: Rotiiva-4.5 / WRG3 SUV-5.0

Rolling Resistance: Rotiiva-5.0 / WRG3 SUV-3.0

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Jan 5, 2016
24 posts
3 upvotes
I recently got the Toyo Celsius tires for 135$ per tire at Green Car Tires (Scarborough) for my 2009 Hyundai Tucson

Loving them so far. Haven't had to drive in any winter weather yet, but overall I feel more control that I did with my stock tires.
30 GB ShareEverything plan w/ Rogers - $90/month. Shoutout to Manitoba and Saskatchewan :D
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
theboondocksaint wrote: I recently got the Toyo Celsius tires for 135$ per tire at Green Car Tires (Scarborough) for my 2009 Hyundai Tucson

Loving them so far. Haven't had to drive in any winter weather yet, but overall I feel more control that I did with my stock tires.
That's good to hear. Mine are performing quite well in the wet/dry compared to my old all seasons, but I have yet to try them in snow or ice.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
AstulzerRSX wrote: Looks like Goodyear has released their own all weather.
http://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/assu ... atherready

New generation of Nokian tires are also released in Europe.
https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-a4/
https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-d4/
Too bad there aren't any reviews available yet for the Goodyears, hopefully there are some by next year.

The Nokian WRA4/D4 have been out in Europe since last year. The North American market seems to be 2-3 years behind for some reason, so we might have to wait at least another year or two for the Nokian WRG4 (WRA4/D4).

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Jan 5, 2016
24 posts
3 upvotes
Would you say the Nokian WRG4 is necessarily better than the previous iterations of those tires? And how does it compare to other all weather tires?
30 GB ShareEverything plan w/ Rogers - $90/month. Shoutout to Manitoba and Saskatchewan :D
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
theboondocksaint wrote: Would you say the Nokian WRG4 is necessarily better than the previous iterations of those tires? And how does it compare to other all weather tires?
The Nokian WRG4 isn't out yet. We'll probably see it next year or the year after. Based on reviews of the WRA4/D4, it seems like an improvement. Overall, Nokian all weather tires are the creme of the crop at this moment in time, but other manufacturers like Toyo, Kumho, and Goodyear are coming out with similar products at a lower price. The Vredestein Quadtrac5 also has pretty good reviews and is rated above the Toyo Celsius in one comparison review. However, the Vredstein is only sold in Canada via Quattro Tires and there is no indication/information/guarantee given about its predicted tread life.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2652 posts
2235 upvotes
GTA
OP, May I suggest that perhaps it would be time to do a poll thread (say, for the top 10 that have been named/mentioned) and let the folks who have knowledge and/or experience with those tires nominate their favourite(s).

If the mods can make that a sticky that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
DragOnT wrote: OP, May I suggest that perhaps it would be time to do a poll thread (say, for the top 10 that have been named/mentioned) and let the folks who have knowledge and/or experience with those tires nominate their favourite(s).

Good suggestion. :) Done.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Sep 17, 2010
49 posts
4 upvotes
I have had the Nordman WR for three years now. I wanted to get the Nokian WRG3, but there was an eight week wait at the time, so I went with the WR instead.

I find that cornering, wet or dry, has not been as good as my old all seasons. Is this normal?

There was also another occasion when I wasn't able to stop going down a slope on a patch of ice. There was also one time when it was hydroplaning, but that happened when I was on a curved on ramp onto a highway so it might be due to very wet weather + turning + speed rather than the tires themselves.

Does anyone know if the newer tires (Toyo Celsius or Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady) would be much better? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
CD Fun wrote: I have had the Nordman WR for three years now. I wanted to get the Nokian WRG3, but there was an eight week wait at the time, so I went with the WR instead.

I find that cornering, wet or dry, has not been as good as my old all seasons. Is this normal?

There was also another occasion when I wasn't able to stop going down a slope on a patch of ice. There was also one time when it was hydroplaning, but that happened when I was on a curved on ramp onto a highway so it might be due to very wet weather + turning + speed rather than the tires themselves.

Does anyone know if the newer tires (Toyo Celsius or Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady) would be much better? Thanks.
Lower performance on ice seems to be characteristic of all-weather tires. The lower cornering performance is also characteristic of all-weather tires due to the softer rubber compounds. I believe that the Goodyear WeatherReady (more emphasis on summer performance) and maybe the WRG3 might offer better hydroplaning and cornering performance than the Nordman WR.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!