Sports & Recreation

**Official Boxing Thread** - Tszyu vs. Fundora (Sat Mar 30 - 8PM ET Amazon Prime Video PPV)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 11:23 am
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
Bellew looked good yesterday - took his time, countered beautifully and then really stepped on the gas when Haye was in trouble.

Time for Haye to retire - dood looked old in the ring real quick - probably not the way he wants to go out but the ring don't lie. He isn't quick or explosive and his footwork (possibly his leg that he previously injured) looks shaky.

GGG vs Martirosyan was ever the mis-match as predicted....easy and quick KO by GGG....bring on Canelo!!!

Good match this coming Sat - Linares vs Lomachenko - this should be a good bout!!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
Lomachenko vs Linares this Sat at 8pm on ESPN...

Great great match - Lomachenko moving up in weight and is now the smaller, shorter man vs Linares who also has a reach advantage (3") - this should be a very good match. I give the nod to Lomachenko but don't think his power will carry with him against the taller and longer Linares. Close win by decision...

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
wow - great fight! Loma was on fire but the bigger Linares landed some great shots and combinations...

Awesome liver shot by Loma at the end - Linares face was getting marked up but he never quit....

Loma makes history - wouldn't mind watching them do it again some time in the future...
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Badou, a natural super middleweight, looked surprisingly big at the weight-in...or maybe Stevenson looked unusually small. How over a year of inactivity, lack of quality recent opposition and 40 years of age will impact Stevenson? Betting sites have him a slight favorite and I think he will come out victorious.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
Pacquiao vs Matthysse tonight in Kuala Lumpur - fight card starts at 9pm ET but main event is probably around 11:30pm

These are not the fighters of old (just old fighters) but should still be entertaining - how much does Pacman have left in the tank. He didn't look that great against Horn which he lost controversially and Matthysse didn't look that great either in his last match but was able to connect for the 1punch KO...

Unfortunately it seems Pacman needs the money for his political career and I can see him still fighting 3 or 4 more matches after this one. He should hang it up but sadly won't. A win for Matthysse keeps him in contention for more fights and he is younger - so has a few more fights in him.

Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Bump for World Boxing Super Series Finale today: Usyk vs Gassiev. Leaning towards a Usyk late KO but the fight is in Russia. Hard to call. Should be a great fight!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
congrats to Mikey Garcia - unifies the lightweight titles!

Good match last night between Garcia and Easter Jr though Garcia really turned it on in the 2nd half of the fight....bring on Spence!!! That would be a good match though I think Spence is too big, quick and powerful for Garcia...
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
This upcoming weekend our homeboy Elaider Alvarez finally is getting a shot at the title against Sergey Kovalev after getting ducked by Stevenson for +2 years. Kovalev seems to have last flair after his two defeats against Ward however he still remains one of the best p4p in my books. Thinking this will go the distance with a decision win for Kovalev.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: congrats Usyk!! First cruiserweight to unify all 4 titles!!! Bring on Tony Bellews!!
Usyk is contemplating a move to heavyweights where the big $$$ is. Unfortunately the new generation of heavyweights is much bigger and athletic than back in the days when Holyfield or others made the jump. Still hope he does give it a try as he cleaned cruiserweight.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
peli33 wrote: This upcoming weekend our homeboy Elaider Alvarez finally is getting a shot at the title against Sergey Kovalev after getting ducked by Stevenson for +2 years. Kovalev seems to have last flair after his two defeats against Ward however he still remains one of the best p4p in my books. Thinking this will go the distance with a decision win for Kovalev.
Wow, hometown fave Alvarez stuns Kovalev!! I was out of town in the US, will have to watch the replays!!!

Congrats Alvarez!! Krusher...has looked shaky the last few fights...
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
have to post this in anticipation of their rematch - GGG vs Canelo 2 on Sat Sept 15 on HBO PPV! First bout was controversial with results being a draw - thought GGG won but hey, controversy is great for the rematch!

Undercard is good too - Chocolatito is on there as well as hometown kid David Lemieux!

Predictions: GGG by decision!

Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
^ Can't wait for Canelo vs GGG II. It'll have been a full year waiting for this one.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
I know the broadcast starts at 8pm EST on Saturday night. However, does anyone know what time the main event starts? My friend says he does not want to watch 2 or 3 hours of undercards. LOL I will be at my friend's cottage, so the closest sports bar showing it is in Belleville or we can drive further to Kingston.

If I was in Toronto this weekend, I'd definitely wanna see this rematch at the Real Sports Bar again. That's where I watched Canelo vs GGG I, a friggin' year ago. They really made us wait for this one. I'm so hyped for this fight. I'm still rooting for GGG, but believe Canelo will win and I hope I'm wrong!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: I know the broadcast starts at 8pm EST on Saturday night. However, does anyone know what time the main event starts? My friend says he does not want to watch 2 or 3 hours of undercards. LOL I will be at my friend's cottage, so the closest sports bar showing it is in Belleville or we can drive further to Kingston.

If I was in Toronto this weekend, I'd definitely wanna see this rematch at the Real Sports Bar again. That's where I watched Canelo vs GGG I, a friggin' year ago. They really made us wait for this one. I'm so hyped for this fight. I'm still rooting for GGG, but believe Canelo will win and I hope I'm wrong!
Walk-in time for the Main Event is expected to be around 11pm EST. (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2018 ... -tomorrow/)

Unless you know it won't packed, may want to get there a bit earlier.

Should be a close one again - GGG being the aggressor controlling the ring and Canelo counter-punching. Will GGG try to finish this time?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
this will be another close match......Canelo looks lighter though weights are close between him and GGG....

Thinking if Canelo can boxing and constantly move, that'll give GGG some fits like the first few rounds in first match - though can Canelo sustain it.....

GGG should go to the body more to break down Canelo for the later rounds......I'm rooting for GGG!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4829 upvotes
Just rewatched the first fight and I simply cannot make a prediction for Saturday night. It really looks like it's gonna be a coin toss. We absolutely need a KO from either fighter because we don't want another controversial decision again.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)