Sports & Recreation

**Official Boxing Thread**- Joshua vs Klitschko Apr.29 (4:15pm ET - Showtime)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 12:38 pm
Oct 17, 2012
272 posts
80 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Are there any bars showing this fight in the west end?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
Gonzalez was impressive! Sosa was no slouch but Gonzalez showed excellent power and combinations and aggressiveness!!!

GGG!! What can I say?? Monroe Jr showed a lot of heart, got dropped twice in the first rd but kept on battling. He showed some excellent counterpunches and combinations against GGG.

But eventually GGG's constant pressure, cutting off the ring and power got to Monroe...good fight while it lasted!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
Sergio Martinez announces his retirement...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/13 ... retirement

Sad to see him retire but he was getting up there in age and numerous injuries...

The thrashing by Cotto in his last bout was terribly bad...so happy to see him ride off into the sunset with his senses and fortune...

Ciao Maravilla...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
Cotto is slated to defend his middleweight title against Canelo Alvarez on Nov.21.

This is going to be a huggeee fight!! Puerto Rico vs. Mexico and should be all action (not like the snorefest involving Money).

Fighting in Las Vegas..huge huge fight...not sure if the numbers will beat Money vs. Pacman...but it will come close!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
Good fight on Saturday...Leo Santa Cruz vs Abner Mares in LA!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TX3O0w1.jpg[/IMG]

These featherweights have been on a collision course for a few years now...they started off in a lower class weight and came up to featherweight..

This will be a hellacious battle...I give the nod to Cruz just because of his relentless pressure and non-stop punch volume..
Aug 26, 2010
59 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
This is interesting. Logic obviously favours Leo since he's looked spectacular against limited opposition. But that's what they were.... limited. That being said, I don't think Mares can defeat Leo's work rate. Especially two years later than they should've fought. This is going to be the hardest puncher Leo's fought and if Mares's plan of attack is to get clean shots in early, he may just rock Leo because Leo always sacrifices defense for a higher punch output. Great fight and there should be fireworks.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
Instant classic fight between Cruz vs. Mares..

Definitely lived up to its expectations and played out kinda what I was thinking. Loved the action...

Cruz's length and jab and he had enough movement to win the close rounds.

I don't really agree with the wide margin scorecards...should have been closer but still, Cruz won.

They should do it again..maybe after 1 or 2 softer touch fights...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
This Saturday we see what might be Mayweather's final fight before he rides off into the sunset.....

Mayweather vs Berto!!

This will be an easy decision victory for Mayweather - Berto will try his best to land some power punches but Mayweather the defensive wizard will make Berto miss and tap tap tap Berto all night...

UD by Mayweather...

I also predict Money to "retire" for about 1yr.....then decide to comeback for a rematch against Pacman - make a boatload of $$ and then maybe 2 more fights (1 against Khan hopefully and one against Canelo)...

Those will be big $$ fights!!
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
27 upvotes
I'll be in Vegas for this and I doubt this'll be his last fight
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes

Really good fight on Saturday - we see the return of middleweight destroyer GGG vs Canadian kid David Lemieux!!

This will be an explosive fight - I highly doubt it will go the distance. There will be bombs thrown in this fight - how will GGG react if he gets nailed with a Lemieux bomb?

Unfortunately, I have to give the nod to GGG - I think he is the better boxer\puncher and manages the ring very very well. I know Lemieux will fight his heart out and keep on trying but I see this as a stoppage in the 6th or 7th round.

Undercard is good too - Roman "El Chocolatito" Gonzalez vs Brian Viloria will be a good fight as well - I see El Chocolatito with a stoppage as well...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
Anyone catch the fight?

Chocolatito was impressive! Brian ain't no slouch but Chocolatito's onslaught was awesome..

Good stoppage..

GGG...what more can be said about this destroyer of middleweight. His full repertoire was on display...

Lemieux has a chin and heart of a champion but I don't agree with his statement that the ref shouldn't have stopped it. He was getting thrashed with no hope of landing that one big punch..

Good stoppage also...

I'd love to see GGG vs. The winner of Canelo vs Cotto..

Though I think Cotto would get thrashed badly...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18707 posts
1276 upvotes
Next Saturday is a great match....Cotto vs Alvarez!!

This should be a huge fight - tickets and PPV buys wise....

Cotto has looked sensational since hooking up with Freddie Roach - he is back to his devastating left hooks, body shots self....

Alvarez is coming down in weight a bit -can he still perform at his best with a bit of weight drain?

Should be a good competitive fight and I give the nod to Cotto....UD by Cotto
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel