Sports & Recreation

**Official Boxing Thread** - Lomachenko vs Pedraza Sat Dec 8 (9PM ET - ESPN)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 6:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20095 posts
1764 upvotes
Toronto
congrats Callum Smith! Sick KO of Groves.....great flurry at the end of the 7th to finish Groves off....not sure how much Groves has in the tank after this and many hellacious fights....might be time for Groves to hang 'em up!

And what is this about Sergio Martinez coming out of retirement to fight again......I love Martinez when he was prime and KOing folks but c'mon.....

Martinez has nothing left to prove - he should stay retired as his last outing against Cotto was extremely shaky (as was his knees....).....

Full Groves vs Smith fight here (until taken down):

[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20095 posts
1764 upvotes
Toronto
wow, sick KO by Usyk of Bellew - pretty good match but Bellew ran out of gas and Usyk was gaining momentum...

If this is truly it for Bellew, then good stuff - dood can go out with his head held high and senses and money intact! All the best champ!

Usyk moving up to HW - should be interesting to see - does his power carry up with him and he'll be small for a HW.....but can move and has great footwork...
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1308 posts
956 upvotes
Usyk cleaned cruiserweight. HW move makes sense for $$$ but I doubt he will be much of a threat to Joshua. With the new generation of Super HW like Joshua, Fury, Wilder will be tough for a more natural CW to have success against those giants.

Bellew definitely gave good opposition early on but ultimately Usyk was just too much.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1749 posts
84 upvotes
Mississauga
Usyk needs some serious work on defence and counter before going into HW.
Nov 22, 2018
2 posts
Hi everyone. I am really looking forward the fight Usik vs Joshua. What about you guys?Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by Markus34 on Nov 27th, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20095 posts
1764 upvotes
Toronto
interesting heavyweight tilt this weekend - Wilder vs Fury!!!

Brawler vs. technician - will Wilder club his way to a KO or will Fury dance, stick and move to victory?

I think this fight might be a little too soon for Fury given his past troubles and lack of fights - thinking Wilder ends up KOing Fury in the late rounds!! Predictions?

Nov 25, 2007
751 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
hoyl shit!! i can't believe he got back up!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20095 posts
1764 upvotes
Toronto
wow.....

Two good fights tonight.....Adonis getting KO'd....he looked a bit slower and not as powerful? Perhaps age is catching up to him...

and wow, Wilder vs Fury - Fury looked great!!! Moved well, fleet of foot with great head movement......Wilder looking for the bombs and landing them in those 2 rds! That last round....what a great round....Fury getting up after eating those 2 flush shots...incredible...

What a fun fun match - Wilder needs to utilize his jab more to set up combos and look to wear down opponents vs. brute KOs......Fury looked great, looked better than even in the Klitchsko fight....

Looking forward to the rematch - they should do it in the UK!!!

I gave the nod to Fury even with the 2 knockdowns......slight edge...
Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 12:56 am
wow.....

Two good fights tonight.....Adonis getting KO'd....he looked a bit slower and not as powerful? Perhaps age is catching up to him...

and wow, Wilder vs Fury - Fury looked great!!! Moved well, fleet of foot with great head movement......Wilder looking for the bombs and landing them in those 2 rds! That last round....what a great round....Fury getting up after eating those 2 flush shots...incredible...

What a fun fun match - Wilder needs to utilize his jab more to set up combos and look to wear down opponents vs. brute KOs......Fury looked great, looked better than even in the Klitchsko fight....

Looking forward to the rematch - they should do it in the UK!!!

I gave the nod to Fury even with the 2 knockdowns......slight edge...
I don't think Wilder had much choice but to look for bombs, every time he tried the jab Fury smacked him and we all know Wilder doesn't like to be hit. But my goodness, I had forgotten just how hard Wilder can hit, that young man sure can throw a punch.

While I like Fury, and support him, I can't help but wish he could have kept his career on track. I'm not saying it was anyone's fault but Fury, but if he had a calming influence in his life a long time ago things might have been different. He seems to have good people around him now, but I would have liked to have seen Robert McCracken have a go at him. Of course that is never going to happen now with McCracken coaching Joshua, but I feel his experience with unorthodox fighting styles like Carl Froch would have really helped Fury.
Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
Did anyone else think Joyce looked like he could become a contender after his fight last night? He seemed a bit slow, and I know Hanks wasn't a great opponent, but it was the first time I've seen Joyce since the Olympics and I thought he looked good.

Then I have to say that Hurd looked really, really good in his fight. He let the young Brit have a go and fair play to Wellborn for trying so hard, but Hurd is some boxer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)