Sports & Recreation

**Official Boxing Thread** - Parker vs Fury Sat Sept.23 (3PM ET - INT Sports PPV)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2017 1:28 am
Jan 29, 2017
516 posts
510 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 11:57 pm
wow - I don't know about that stoppage by Tony Weeks....

Ward landed a great headshot and Kovalev was wobbled - not sure about those body shots (hard to tell) but at least give Krusher a count.......
Ref can't give a standing count in a title bout in Nevada (or so I learned). Kovalev would have to put a knee down. Duva is filling a protest over low blows and early stoppage and I hope something will be done but I also believe Ward deserved to win this one. Earlier fight also had a very questionable decision which may get overturned.

Low blows or not, Kovalev seemed out of steam early on.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19272 posts
1432 upvotes
peli33 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 1:18 pm
Ref can't give a standing count in a title bout in Nevada (or so I learned). Kovalev would have to put a knee down. Duva is filling a protest over low blows and early stoppage and I hope something will be done but I also believe Ward deserved to win this one. Earlier fight also had a very questionable decision which may get overturned.

Low blows or not, Kovalev seemed out of steam early on.
Interesting......yeah, Kovalev should have taken a knee but was either still dazed and not thinking clearly or was trying to demonstrate the low blows? Either way, Kovalev shouldn't have just sat there....

Wow, looking at the Compubox #s - Kovalev threw 39.5 punches per rd in the 1st fight and threw 50.5 punches per rd in last night's fight - no wonder he was tired in the 8th!!

Ward landed a great headshot that had Kovalev in big trouble - I have to agree that it was only a matter of time...but Kovalev should have been carried out on his shield.....

Duva can file a protest - nothing is going to come out of it though....lol....
Jan 29, 2017
516 posts
510 upvotes
Kovalev said he over trained first time that is why Ward was able to take over in later rounds. I think Ward is simply a very smart fighter who was able to adapt after getting shaken early on. This time he worked the lower body from the beginning until Kovalev could not take it anymore.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19272 posts
1432 upvotes
hope everyone is having a wonderful Happy Canada Day so far....not sure how many people will be catching this vs. the evening festivities but Pacman vs Horn is on tonight in the Battle of Brisbane!!!

Don't know much about Horn - thinking this should be a Pacman rout like his last bout - Pacman needs to get paid!!

Oct 6, 2007
661 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
what channel can we watch this fight on bell service? its not PPV, i dont have ESPN channel on my better programming with bell?
Sep 14, 2014
109 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just saw this fight. pretty entertaining fight for sure. none of that defensive keep away tactics.
I'm a Pac fan but I could see why the young Aussie could upset the old boxer. The Aussie definitely put up a fight but he was in danger in the 9th round.
Best round of the match, the fans were losing it.

That Australian crowd and setting seems more exciting than the vegas mgm crowd. They always show A list celebs on the vegas ones.
Kudos to Ji2 for keeping this thread alive, I only watched this because it popped up on the news after the bout was done.

http://www.cp24.com/sports/pacquiao-los ... -1.3485938
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
2342 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-on-pac ... rn--118209

Freddie:
"I’ll have a long talk with Manny about what’s the best place to go: To fight (Horn) in a rematch, or possibly retire, or go on to bigger and better guys. Those are his options.”

As a Pacman fan, I have not interest whatsoever in a Horn rematch.
I'd rather see him retire now
or go out against Spence Jr. or Crawford.
Fight his heart out, win or lose (likely the latter), and leave in all in the ring...making it a true passing of the torch.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19272 posts
1432 upvotes
Wlad Klitschko announces retirement.....dood had a dominant reign at heavyweight...not his fault that the opponents were a bit weak in his reign...

Kudos to Wlad for resurrecting his reign after the weird loss to Lamont Brewster...

His last fight with Joshua was exciting!! Excellent fight...and he is leaving the ring on his own terms..

Enjoy retirement champ! Say hi to Hayden for us!

Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1193 posts
275 upvotes
Mayweather vs McGregor on Saturday August 26.

I'm really, really torn on where to watch this fight. I have to and MUST watch this fight LIVE. I won't know until Friday on whether my friends are ordering the PPV for $100 and we split the cost. If not, I have to watch it at a sports bar for $20 which I'm prepared to do. However, I'm even tempted to watch it at the Cineplex in the theatre with the big screen and big sound atmosphere. The only thing is the admission is just too expensive in my opinion for this event ($41.95). That is a ridiculous price for this freak show.

If I fork out that kind of money for a boxing event, it would definitely be more worth it for Canelo vs. GGG on September 16th.
Jan 29, 2017
516 posts
510 upvotes
Unfortunate GGG vs Canelo is getting heavily overshadowed by this circus. Hope they will have enough time to promote the fight.

Predictions for tomorrow? Money takes this no doubt. I feel like the whole things is staged where Money gets his 50th win but McGregor still looks fairly good. Both walk out laughing to the bank. Win-Win for both.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)