Sports & Recreation

**Official Boxing Thread** - Tszyu vs. Fundora (Sat Mar 30 - 8PM ET Amazon Prime Video PPV)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 11:23 am
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote: Very well done. All hail King Canelo!!! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
wow that was an entertaining fight!

yup, all hail the new king..................King Canelo! Plant did well, fought his hardest but just didn't have enough power to keep Canelo away.

Canelo's first knockdown was a thing of beauty - he was trying to land that all night! And the ending KO - he threw in a last body shot for good measure....lol

good sportsmanship shown at the end by the 2 champs.......all bad blood is forgotten after a battle like that....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4830 upvotes
Now on to the second fiddle event of the night UFC 268. lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Mr_Fanta wrote: Now on to the second fiddle event of the night UFC 268. lol
You missed a Hagler/Hearns type fight between Chandler and Gaethje. Probably even better.

As for the Boxing event, I didn't even search for the highlights. We all knew who was going to win... he's juiced to the gills and will run it up to Heavyweight and probably still win, as that's the state of boxing in the present. At least Usman and Canelo can inject their stomachs at no end when they fight (Box) for a fake spectacle, next year.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4830 upvotes
^ Don't think Canelo will ever accept that fight. Even Dana White said for Usman to stop dreaming and to get that stupid thought out of his head. LOL

Admittedly, when Canelo fought GGG twice I wanted Triple G to win and was rooting for him. A few years have gone by and Canelo has proven himself multiple times as the best pound for pound fighter at the moment. I'm all TEAM KING CANELO these days. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Canelo is definitely beatable, but he makes a really good champion for this generation of boxing.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
another good fight this weekend - the return of Crawford.....vs Porter, !!

This will be a fun fight - Crawford's boxing skills and power vs Porter's come forward, brawling / mauling style aggression...............I give the nod to Crawford by UD but it will be fun & chippy in there!

Next week is Teofimo vs Kambosos - that will be another fun fight! Teofimo is exciting to watch!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: another good fight this weekend - the return of Crawford.....vs Porter, !!

This will be a fun fight - Crawford's boxing skills and power vs Porter's come forward, brawling / mauling style aggression...............I give the nod to Crawford by UD but it will be fun & chippy in there!

Next week is Teofimo vs Kambosos - that will be another fun fight! Teofimo is exciting to watch!!!
Some real boxing. Non of this Jake Paul shiet.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
Thought Porter was hanging on until he got impatient and Crawford was just ready to launch on a counter. It's amazing how long this dude waits

Now can we please have Spence and Crawford. It's the only Welterweight match that has to be made and needs to be done.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
Biscayne05 wrote: Thought Porter was hanging on until he got impatient and Crawford was just ready to launch on a counter. It's amazing how long this dude waits

Now can we please have Spence and Crawford. It's the only Welterweight match that has to be made and needs to be done.
Porter was definitely doing ok - then got a bit wild in the last few rds..........Crawford was spot on with his last few counters.....just flush on the nose / face.....

Happy retirement to Porter - he has his health & millions of $$s while he rides off into the sunset....

Crawford will leave Top Rank, ideally be a free agent & make the Spence bout..............I can see that fight series being a trilogy!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
woot, another great fight this weekend!

Lopez vs Kambosos Jr - Teofimo always makes for an exciting fight, this will be fun while it lasts! Kambosos Jr is no slouch, also Teofimo had covid? Has he fought since then? I can't recall but lets see how he looks!

I predict a late stoppage or UD for Lopez!

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
ho ho ho - can't wait to see Teofimo in the ring! This will be fun!!

Can Kambosos Jr keep Teofimo away? He needs to keep on moving, potshots and move move move!!!

If Teofimo isn't afraid of Kambosos Jr & Kambosos can't keep him away - this might be an early night!

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
wowzers, what a stunner!!!

Congrats to the new champ Kambosos Jr! He was focused, primed for the full 12 rds and executed his strategy to a "T"! The world is his oyster, let's see him against Haney!

Dang - for Lopez, he needs to rebuild...........and no rematch clause, yikes!!

He'll probably move up in weight as well.....I'm still excited to watch what happens next, keep ya head up!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 3, 2006
5546 posts
3067 upvotes
Winnipeg
That was a great fight. I'm not sure if I'm happy that Teofimo lost. I don't like him or cheer for him but I like watching him box. He'll bounce back and be better for it, I think. Way to go Kambosos!

Another good fight this weekend on DAZN. Haney vs Diaz Jr. I expect Haney to win, and I hope he does, but I'm hoping for a good fight.
This isn't a blog.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
jcon wrote: Another good fight this weekend on DAZN. Haney vs Diaz Jr. I expect Haney to win, and I hope he does, but I'm hoping for a good fight.
yuppers - another great fight this weekend (tonight!). The lightweight division is stacked! With a ton of exciting fights!

Haney, more defensive minded vs JoJo who is aggressive, come forward pressure fighter! woot can't wait!

I give the nod to Haney but who knows really? Last weekend was a testament to how uncertain fights can go!

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
well that was a fun fight!!!

No arguments here - the scorecards were right. Haney boxed a clean, efficient match dictating the pace. JoJo had some moments in the late rds but not enough to put away Haney. Good adjustments on both sides!!

Didn't realize Gervonta was fighting tonight - another fun bout! Cruz just keeps on coming forward - this one will be fun for however long it lasts!!

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
dang, sounds like Teofimo had some major issues just before the fight.

I hope he bounces back health-wise and that Covid hasn't done any lasting damage to him!
Teofimo Lopez was risking his life and should have been in a hospital -- rather than a boxing ring -- when he lost his four lightweight belts to George Kambosos last week at Madison Square Garden, according to a doctor who subsequently examined him and reviewed his medical records.

"He could have died, for sure," Dr. Linda Dahl, an otolaryngologist (ENT) with surgical privileges at three Manhattan hospitals, told ESPN. "How he breathed, I can't even explain to you. It's like somebody tied a 300-pound set of weights around his chest ... like his neck and chest were in a vise.

"That's how he fought."

"He's lucky he's not dead," Dr. Peter Constantino, executive director of the New York Head and Neck Institute, told ESPN. "I mean, really lucky."

According to Lopez's medical records, the 24-year-old former undisputed champion was diagnosed with "pneumomediastinum" with "extensive air in the retropharyngeal space" by emergency room doctors during his postfight visit to Bellevue Hospital.

"The air was surrounding his chest wall and his heart and his neck -- places where air is not supposed to be," said Dahl, who worked as a ringside physician for the New York State Athletic Commission. "If he was hit in the neck or the chest -- a certain way, in a certain place -- he could have developed a pneumothorax [collapsed lung]. ... He would have instantly been down and unable to breathe and needing a chest tube."

The likely cause of the air, according to Dahl and records of physicians who saw Lopez later at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, was a small tear in his esophagus. Lopez -- whose diagnosis was complicated by his longtime asthma and a case of COVID he contracted in June -- began experiencing shortness of breath and swelling in the neck area on Friday, shortly before the weigh-in.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... -air-chest

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)