• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2023 12:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3364 upvotes
Vancouver
Strider wrote: I skipped 2-3 of the coldest weeks in Dec/Jan last year (Calgary). But I think I have a much shorter commute.

Standard (non-tracked) is the way to go if you want to roll the dice on the no-duty lottery on Chain Reaction. Just got my latest order and didn't pay any duties... seems about 50/50 for the people in the Tacx Vortex thread.
Thanks. And how long did it take to deliver?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: Thanks. And how long did it take to deliver?
CRC usually will ship it the next day and you'll receive the parcel from Canada Post any where from 7 to 10 business days. It really comes down to CP on how fast they process in custom dept.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1070 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
so I brought a Giant eBike for commuting, because 43 km round trip is a bit much 4 days a week. I thought pedal assisted eBike are considered bicycle by the city. However, I have a city staff gave me shit for riding an eBike on the don trail, he said the sign says "No Motorized Vehicles allowed". However, this is what I found on 311 (https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... lanes.html)

Pedelecs
E-bikes which are similar to bicycles are considered to be bicycles by the municipality of Toronto and may be used on all types of cycling infrastructure:

painted bike lanes
cycle tracks (separated bicycle lanes)
multi-use trails
By definition in the Toronto Municipal Code, a 'pedelec' must weigh less than 40 kg and requires pedaling for propulsion.

My Giant Explore E+ 3 meetings all the requirements above, so who's right???
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
pcboy wrote: so I brought a Giant eBike for commuting, because 43 km round trip is a bit much 4 days a week. I thought pedal assisted eBike are considered bicycle by the city. However, I have a city staff gave me shit for riding an eBike on the don trail, he said the sign says "No Motorized Vehicles allowed". However, this is what I found on 311 (https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... lanes.html)

Pedelecs
E-bikes which are similar to bicycles are considered to be bicycles by the municipality of Toronto and may be used on all types of cycling infrastructure:

painted bike lanes
multi-use trails
By definition in the Toronto Municipal Code, a 'pedelec' must weigh less than 40 kg and requires pedaling for propulsion.

Ignore anybody who tells you. E-bikes yes, E-scooters no.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1070 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Mr. Robo wrote: Ignore anybody who tells you. E-bikes yes, E-scooters no.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
I would like the answer to this also. I dont think a e-bike is a considered a motor vehicle otherwise it would require a license. Technically I don't think e-scooters are considered either as is why they all have useless pedals so they are considered the same class as bicycles. I think the bylaws are old and haven't accounted for e-bikes/e-scooters so its a grey area right now. If someones know for sure, I would love to know.

I found this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5119674
pcboy wrote: so I brought a Giant eBike for commuting, because 43 km round trip is a bit much 4 days a week. I thought pedal assisted eBike are considered bicycle by the city. However, I have a city staff gave me shit for riding an eBike on the don trail, he said the sign says "No Motorized Vehicles allowed". However, this is what I found on 311 (https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebas ... lanes.html)

Pedelecs

painted bike lanes
multi-use trails

stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Feb 25, 2003
321 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
Jaytee wrote: I would like the answer to this also. I dont think a e-bike is a considered a motor vehicle otherwise it would require a license. Technically I don't think e-scooters are considered either as is why they all have useless pedals so they are considered the same class as bicycles. I think the bylaws are old and haven't accounted for e-bikes/e-scooters so its a grey area right now. If someones know for sure, I would love to know.

It's ok, even the RCMP out here in BC don't know..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5278601
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Jaytee wrote: I would like the answer to this also. I dont think a e-bike is a considered a motor vehicle otherwise it would require a license. Technically I don't think e-scooters are considered either as is why they all have useless pedals so they are considered the same class as bicycles. I think the bylaws are old and haven't accounted for e-bikes/e-scooters so its a grey area right now. If someones know for sure, I would love to know.

The only way I see anyone having issues with you riding on a bike trail / path, is that you are speeding and behaving in unsafe manner. I see this daily. Otherwise an electric bike, is a non-motorized vehicle. Otherwise licence would be required.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
pcboy wrote: just wondering for the commuters out there, what month do you stop commuting on your bike?

I think I stopped after haloween last year.
I only stop or rather pause, when there is too much snow on the ground or when its simply a dumb idea to be cycling due to weather conditions (heavy snow, windchill etc.) Other than that, year round for me for 1h each way commute. Its all about knowing how to dress and plan ahead.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Strider wrote: Come on, these fake pedals are a blatant exploitation of a loophole.
cRaZyRaVr wrote: The only way I see anyone having issues with you riding on a bike trail / path, is that you are speeding and behaving in unsafe manner. I see this daily. Otherwise an electric bike, is a non-motorized vehicle. Otherwise licence would be required.
It may be a loophole, but I don't really mind e-bike riders as long as they're respectful and follow the rules. If they can drive safely, follow the flow of traffic in bike lanes, and act like the rest of us I don't mind having them around.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1352 posts
1283 upvotes
Calgary
Piro21 wrote: It may be a loophole, but I don't really mind e-bike riders as long as they're respectful and follow the rules. If they can drive safely, follow the flow of traffic in bike lanes, and act like the rest of us I don't mind having them around.
I'm 100% on board with pedal assist e-bikes on bike lanes, pathways, etc, especially when the electric assist is capped at reasonable speeds. Not so much on board with throttle controlled electric mopeds/motorcycles/vespas with non-functioning pedals glued on being on the paths and bike lanes.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
Strider wrote: I'm 100% on board with pedal assist e-bikes on bike lanes, pathways, etc, especially when the electric assist is capped at reasonable speeds. Not so much on board with throttle controlled electric mopeds/motorcycles/vespas with non-functioning pedals glued on being on the paths and bike lanes.
The electric moped/motorcycle things are the worst. In Ottawa they seem to be driven mostly by people getting around their DUI and loss of license. They ride about as recklessly as you'd expect.

The pedal assist bikes I don't have a problem with. There are just as many Cat6 racers on our paths that ride just as unsafely as some of the pedal assist folks.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
sixteen12 wrote: The electric moped/motorcycle things are the worst. In Ottawa they seem to be driven mostly by people getting around their DUI and loss of license. They ride about as recklessly as you'd expect.

The pedal assist bikes I don't have a problem with. There are just as many Cat6 racers on our paths that ride just as unsafely as some of the pedal assist folks.
Thats exactly it!

Its always meth head looking people too.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Strider wrote: I'm 100% on board with pedal assist e-bikes on bike lanes, pathways, etc, especially when the electric assist is capped at reasonable speeds. Not so much on board with throttle controlled electric mopeds/motorcycles/vespas with non-functioning pedals glued on being on the paths and bike lanes.
I guess I was fortunate enough to not encounter many of these people up until now, but after nearly being run over by one blowing through a red light and screamed at some fat drug addict on another in just this past week, **** these things and their riders. Regular electric bicycles are great, but these annoying little wannabe mopeds are terrible.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Lets bring this up since the other cycling thread is too rich for many. This is more for the casual cyclists.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Lets bring this up since the other cycling thread is too rich for many. This is more for the casual cyclists.
Yah for sure. The only one is all about the $9000 specialized road racer super speed demon and sales on skin tight spandex.

I gotta bring in my norco single speed for a tune up!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5799 posts
2638 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: I gotta bring in my norco single speed for a tune up!
You haven't yet. It's beautiful outside. Maybe I should sell my unused bike. I could probably get back 70% now that stores are going to be running out of bikes soon.
Nov 6, 2003
953 posts
86 upvotes
Edmonton
Greetings my fellow filthy casuals. I just bought a Northrock XC29 from Costco last night. Looking forward to being back on a bike again after many years. Now to start picking out accessories ... Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Click on these links to see my Heatware evals and my eBay.ca feedback summary.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)