• Sep 11th, 2017 9:10 am
Tags:
Feb 25, 2003
153 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Mr. Robo wrote:
Oct 9th, 2016 12:17 pm
If I wanted to sell a bike and other than craigslist or kijiji, is there a store? I want to get rid of my 2012 Giant Rapid 2 hybrid.
Sports Junkies on West Broadway takes consignments.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7579 posts
265 upvotes
Brampton
What is a recommended bike lock without breaking the bank?

It's not for an expensive bike (Giant Escape) and it won't need to be locked for a extended period of time. Just quick rides to the grocery store/food stop.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
Go to Home Depot and buy the heaviest chain they have in the shortest length you think you will need to lock it around the frame and something solid. Then buy a decent keyed lock like the kryptonite round lock. This can still be beaten by a determined thief but might slow them down.

And wrap the chain in an old tube so it doesn't scratch your bike.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36369 posts
2371 upvotes
Toronto
The Chinese restaurant supply store Near Spadina and Oxford street (with the yellow sign) sells an EXTREMELY robust bike lock for only $15.99...

ITs a U lock. Very heavy and strong... Has a skeleton key design.

Its the grey and black one. You see it all over d/t. :D

My parents use a $14.99 Canadian Tire U-Lock...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
There's a Giant Toronto store "blowout" sale (until tomorrow)
http://www.gianttoronto.com/en-CA/sales/

CONSIDERING the Liv Rove 3 Stepthrough for $449. Decent deal? Dunno if this is the best deal to get or just wait until next spring.

And those who want an Escape, there's an Escape 2 for $499
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Ok so went to the store and not a huge fan of Liv Rove 3 but I saw the Alight model which is lighter and I'll probably only be sticking to the road anyway.

The Alight 3 ( http://www.gianttoronto.com/en-ca/bikes ... ifications ) wasn't on sale as part of the promotion but they said they could give me $50 off making it $450. Since this is a 2016 model and we're in fall, you think that's a good deal as it stands or can I be an annoying bargainer and get it down $100 instead of $50 to $400? The Alight 2 is on sale at $499 right now.

I believe Giant also has XX amount of free tune ups which is a plus over buying used. I can't remember how many though but tune ups at bike shops are like $70 so seems like a good deal?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10413 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
$50 off is not much of a deal, I would see if they could offer more, but the Alight 2 with the alloy fork is definitely worth $50 more if they won't give you a better deal.

You can definitely benefit from the free adjustments they can make after the sale, gears and brakes may need some fine tuning after a while.
Last edited by warpdrive on Oct 16th, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 8:31 pm
$50 off is not much of a deal, I would see if they could offer more, but the Alight 2 with the carbon fork is definitely worth $50 more if they won't give you a better deal.

You can definitely benefit from the free adjustments they can make after the sale, gears and brakes may need some fine tuning after a while.
What do you think is a reasonable amount to bargain to for Alight 3 or 2? The Alight 2 is already on sale (though the sale technically ended today to coincide with the fall bike show) for $100 so not sure that is it, and the Alight 3, is $400 a decent number to throw out there? Or go low as $350? I'm not desperate at this time for a bike so I could maybe be in a better place to negotiate in spring when the 2017s are there but sizing will be more limited.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10413 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
my impression about Giant stores is that they aren't really keen on deep discounts/bargaining. So for a Giant store, the deals probably won't get better.

For me 20% off a bike is the minimum deal I would go for at end of year.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3286 posts
419 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
Badman wrote:
Oct 12th, 2016 9:49 pm
What is a recommended bike lock without breaking the bank?

It's not for an expensive bike (Giant Escape) and it won't need to be locked for a extended period of time. Just quick rides to the grocery store/food stop.
Assuming you don't get hit with duty fees, this is the best U-lock available on the market at the lowest price. The shackle is so thick that 95% of all bolt cutters in existence can't chop through it: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MAGNUM-ONGUARD-B ... SwNRdX7msz

One of the previous posters suggested buying the heaviest chain at Home Depot and a decent padlock. IMO, if you insist on buying hardware store chain, find the thickest chain that's rated Grade 70 or higher. Generally speaking, this would be 3/8" at Home Depot. Non-hardened chains (ie: those rated less than Grade 70) offer poor resistance against sawing and bolt cutter attacks regardless of thickness. Even then, the hardware store-padlock combo isn't a great value proposition: 3 feet of 3/8" Grade 70 chain costs about $21 and a barely decent disc-shaped padlock costs $20. $20+$21=$40. At that price, there are bike chain locks on the market that are more resistant against destructive and lock picking attacks. If you insist on buying a chain lock for a good value, I'd recommend this one: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-545/ ... k%26-Chain
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10413 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
I’m looking for a lock for my Brompton.It seems like a lot of people buy those Abus folding locks for them because they are compact.

I’ve seen the videos of them being cut by bolt cutters, but I think it’s still handy to have if I need to stop into a store or something. Any opinions on which one to get. I assume the basic 6000 model would probably be the best value.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2043 posts
202 upvotes
Mississauga
Its simple, if someone wants your bike or car they will steal it. Nothing is unbreakable. All these locks and chains are mainly for deterrent. A kid walks by and sees a locked bike he wont be tempted to steal.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10413 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
Well I guess it depends on how prepared thieves are when they want to steal a bike. Guys with grinders/large cutters will defeat even large locks no matter what.

But if a lock gives them grief, they might move on to other targets if they come with a set of hand pliers/cutters.

I’ll probably just get the Abus Bordo just as a first line of defence. Not expecting to leave the bike outside for very long, just going into a store or restaurant. If I really need to worry, I’ll just bring the whole bike in, which is the reason to have a Brompton anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)