• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 1:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3285 posts
418 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
Terrible concept lol. The thief can negate the gas threat by wearing a gas mask.

At that price, might as well buy a Skylock U-Lock. It'll notify you over phone when some idiot tries to cut your lock and provides a 2 minute time window to stop the thief: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ca
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
TSDH wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2016 1:01 pm
Terrible concept lol. The thief can negate the gas threat by wearing a gas mask.
You didn't even read the article on the product before writing that garbage, why?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4568 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2016 2:38 pm
Can I ask opinions on this bike for the $$: I am thinking I'd buy it from Amazon, since I can't find a retailer. Saw one at a Winners and kind of fell in love with it for city riding: it was around the same $$ at Winners.
https://www.amazon.ca/Viva-VIV-002-2B-L ... iva+legato The pic is a bit off; supposed to have a Nexus 7 speed hub in rear.
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on this bike again. It's down to $770 at Amazon.ca (and $800 at Amazon.com). The MEC Mixed Tape is now $695, so not much cheaper any more. Does anyone have suggestions for models in the same price range and bike type (internal hub preferred)?

EDIT; did some shopping today and found myself looking at a Raleigh Roper at around the same price point (remaining stock - it's a $1100 list bike) thoughts? http://www.raleigh-canada.ca/2015-bikes ... ross-roper
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2024 posts
185 upvotes
I am looking to go bicycle riding this summer. I an a bigger guy and need a better bike that can. Hold me. Can anyone recommend me something more affordable?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35642 posts
1929 upvotes
Toronto
milhaus wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 4:46 pm
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on this bike again. It's down to $770 at Amazon.ca (and $800 at Amazon.com). The MEC Mixed Tape is now $695, so not much cheaper any more. Does anyone have suggestions for models in the same price range and bike type (internal hub preferred)?

EDIT; did some shopping today and found myself looking at a Raleigh Roper at around the same price point (remaining stock - it's a $1100 list bike) thoughts? http://www.raleigh-canada.ca/2015-bikes ... ross-roper
NOt a resurrection at all! LAst post was OCT 2016... Things just got quiet over the winter... But now spring is back!!!!

I like the Raleigh Roper... looks to be a good urban commuter. Nice touch with the disc brakes... However I'm not a fan because I don't know how to service them if anything goes wrong on the road... But the plus side of that setup is that they have much better stopping power compared to other type of bike brakes.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1943 posts
51 upvotes
Looking to get a lock for commuting to work and running small errands. It seems like the Kryptonite locks are the best reviewed. Is Amazon the cheapest place to buy them? I've seen them on some of the other online sites from the UK cheaper but figure I'll get hit with taxes once it goes through customs. Any other suggestions for locks or places to buy them in the GTA?
Mar 15, 2003
618 posts
97 upvotes
Anyone here ride a cargo bike or long tail bike? I'm looking at getting one, just seeing what options are out there in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4568 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Just bought a Raleigh Roper, swapped the 35 cyclocross tires with some ultra gatorskins, and good to go for weekend rides and commuting. Nine speeds is the perfect compromise between fully geared bike and a single speed.
Images
Oct 19, 2005
762 posts
71 upvotes
Brampton
Just pick up my brand new bike last night and omg I got all the flash back from my teenage time when I touch it lol.
Anyways, I'm looking for a pump. Price range is so big. Can anyone recommend a reasonable one please?
Thanks !
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16656 posts
1675 upvotes
GTA West
Would this even be legal in Canada? I don't think you can even buy regular pepper spray for self defence from human attackers.

Edit: LOL at my response to a 2016 post. Face With Tears Of Joy
Apr 21st, 2017 2:40 pm
Just pick up my brand new bike last night and omg I got all the flash back from my teenage time when I touch it lol.
Anyways, I'm looking for a pump. Price range is so big. Can anyone recommend a reasonable one please?
Thanks !
What kind of tire valves does your bike have? Schrader or Presta?
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Apr 22nd, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16656 posts
1675 upvotes
GTA West
EEE2 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 2:29 pm
I am looking to go bicycle riding this summer. I an a bigger guy and need a better bike that can. Hold me. Can anyone recommend me something more affordable?
What kind of terrain are you looking to ride on?
What is your actual body weight?
Do you want to join cycling clubs or just ride around for yourself?
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2024 posts
185 upvotes
I want a mixed of road and trails. Im 275 now. Ride myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6008 posts
605 upvotes
T dot 6
Apr 21st, 2017 2:40 pm
I don't know how much you consider reasonable but I have this $55 pump from MEC I bought in 2011: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-149/ ... Floor-Pump

It's been solid for me and supports both Presta and Schrader valves.

I would avoid this pump from MEC: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-690/ ... or-Pump-II
Someone left one in my bike room at my condo and I tried to use it and it was crap.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Jan 9, 2011
514 posts
245 upvotes
Vancouver
Is this a good place to rant about drivers?

Yesterday I was stopped at an intersection, signalling a left turn, and a driver coming from the opposite direction stopped at the green light and try to wave me to go ahead. I waved him to go. Then it happened again. Then AGAIN. Three times in 20 seconds, drivers stopping at green lights to try to let me turn in from of them!

Maybe this is why drivers complain about cyclists failing to yield the right of way—because drivers encourage it.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel