• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 5:05 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7481 posts
1102 upvotes
Ontario
Do you guys travel with a replacement tube, repair kit, wrench/multi tool, etc?

I have a rear rack on my mountain bike, along with a bag with all of this because an older bike let me down many km away from home. It was a loooong walk.

Since being equipped, had to use my multi once to tighten a bolt. I also carry a few nitrile gloves. Once having to fix a messed up chain, I was thankful my hands were completely clean (no grease). But the weight obviously adds up.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2848 posts
966 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Apr 21st, 2017 2:40 pm
Anyways, I'm looking for a pump. Price range is so big. Can anyone recommend a reasonable one please?
Get a Joe Blow, your problems are over.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35964 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
bunnyfoo wrote:
Apr 7th, 2017 2:27 pm
Looking to get a lock for commuting to work and running small errands. It seems like the Kryptonite locks are the best reviewed. Is Amazon the cheapest place to buy them? I've seen them on some of the other online sites from the UK cheaper but figure I'll get hit with taxes once it goes through customs. Any other suggestions for locks or places to buy them in the GTA?
I just compared online prices v.s. local on my favourite lock combo

I find shipping kills the deal.. They are kinda heavy.

This is my favourite combo and locking setup. PRotects the frame + wheels.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35964 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 12:57 am
Is this a good place to rant about drivers?

Yesterday I was stopped at an intersection, signalling a left turn, and a driver coming from the opposite direction stopped at the green light and try to wave me to go ahead. I waved him to go. Then it happened again. Then AGAIN. Three times in 20 seconds, drivers stopping at green lights to try to let me turn in from of them!

Maybe this is why drivers complain about cyclists failing to yield the right of way—because drivers encourage it.
lol Yes. IT sure is. We are all about commuting and casual cycling here!

It is confusing. Especially in a high risk situation like making a left turn @ an intersection.. IT totally screws with the flow of traffic.
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Apr 23rd, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35964 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
onlineharvest wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 1:12 am

I have a rear rack on my mountain bike, along with a bag with all of this because an older bike let me down many km away from home. It was a loooong walk.

Since being equipped, had to use my multi once to tighten a bolt. I also carry a few nitrile gloves. Once having to fix a messed up chain, I was thankful my hands were completely clean (no grease). But the weight obviously adds up.
I do on my 100km + rides.
But on my regular joy rides and commuting... No. But that's probably because I'm just east of downtown... The places I go to? The worst case scenario is that I shell out $3 for bus fare and carry my bike home.
Jan 9, 2011
610 posts
289 upvotes
Vancouver
UrbanPoet wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 3:07 pm
lol Yes. IT sure is. We are all about commuting and casual cycling here!

It is confusing. Especially in a high risk situation like making a left turn @ an intersection.. IT totally screws with the flow of traffic.
What's high risk about that and how does it totally screw with the flow of traffic? Would it be better if I was in my car turning left at the same spot?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35964 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 4:46 pm
What's high risk about that and how does it totally screw with the flow of traffic? Would it be better if I was in my car turning left at the same spot?
You misunderstood me. Its okay to turn left as a cyclist.
Im saying other cars stopping to let you through is dangerous. Bc it disrupts the flow of traffic. When they stop they now block sight of the cyclist. A car behind them might overtake them and hit you.

A left turn is a high risk situation no matter what the vehicle youre in.
Mar 15, 2004
907 posts
132 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 1:12 am

Yes, always, It is the worst when you get a flat when you are out. I commute to work on a regular basis (3+ times a week) and I usually get on average 5 flats a year. Riding a fixie also means no quick release, so I have to add a wrench to my kit in order to remove my wheels.

Just to add, if you do get a flat, don't throw out your inner tub, help the environment and patch up your tub to give it a new life. I usually patch up my tubs 3 times before I throw them out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6029 posts
613 upvotes
T dot 6
My friend's cheap supercycle bike rear derailleur is broken. Its not worth fixing. Is it possible to just remove links on his chain, by pass the derailleur and make it a single gear bike?
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6029 posts
613 upvotes
T dot 6
jsywong wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 11:08 pm
Yes, always, It is the worst when you get a flat when you are out. I commute to work on a regular basis (3+ times a week) and I usually get on average 5 flats a year. Riding a fixie also means no quick release, so I have to add a wrench to my kit in order to remove my wheels.
I also commute to work and I had three flats last year, I thought that was bad. This year I installed Mr Tuffy (http://mrtuffy.com/) which is a plastic liner between the tire and the tube. Even if it prevents one flat a season it will be well worth the hassle. I will report back how the season goes flat wise =D
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35964 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 4:44 pm
My friend's cheap supercycle bike rear derailleur is broken. Its not worth fixing. Is it possible to just remove links on his chain, by pass the derailleur and make it a single gear bike?
Oh yeah!!! I highly recommend it...
There is a single speed conversion chain tensioner. You'll require it for the single speed conversion.
I found one off ebay cheap and used it on my old brand new but free supercycle mountain bike... it was $20 s&h incld. I bought cheapo semi slick tires $30 for a pair. It turned out to be a sweet cheap commuter.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4621 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 3:05 pm
I just compared online prices v.s. local on my favourite lock combo

I find shipping kills the deal.. They are kinda heavy.

This is my favourite combo and locking setup. PRotects the frame + wheels.
I just bought this from Chain Reaction for $43.99 + $8 shipping. It you can wait a while, this is by far the best price (50% off local shops). Buy something worth $30 to get free shipping too - oh yeah, and I was lucky enough to not get taxed or pay customs clearance charges. So, my grand total was $43.99. It came with some inconsequential damage that I reported to CR and then they sent me $30 in vouchers. I was pretty happy with my transaction. ;-)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6029 posts
613 upvotes
T dot 6
Thanks guys for the single speed conversion info!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35964 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 9:58 am
Thanks guys for the single speed conversion info!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Eclypse-Single-Gu ... iid%253A19

It was better when @ par for me. But $19.99+7.99sh.
But it was nice not having to worry about the gears. They are so finicky on cheap bikes.

Cheaper quality one

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Aluminium-MTB-Bik ... Ciid%253A2

$10.70+2.79sh