• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2017 9:10 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
dating myself here, but when I started buying bikes for myself, all bikes were steel road bikes!

I don't really miss steel as a material for bike frames just because I had so many, but yes those Bianchis and other Italian bikes were glorious.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Aug 17, 2012
109 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver
Just bought a Townie and looking to get back on a bike after 20+ years. Only planning to hang around suburbs in good weather, but I could very well hit main roads if I get comfortably nimble and feel safe.

Reading up on the laws in my area and noticed these:
List of select MVA offences and fines
cycle without required bicycle helmet $29
ride cycle after dark without lights $109
ride cycle on sidewalk $109
disobey stop sign or fail to stop $109
fail to signal for stop or turn $109
careless cycling $109
A lot more rules than when I was a kid.

I don't really look that closely at bicyclists but I don't recall seeing them signaling much. Guess I better get used to it.
Do people signal stop at a stop sign or is it a given? Now that I'm writing it out, it seems like a dumb question.

Also I need to buy lights. Any low maintenance but nice performing and visible headlight + rear. And are there any good turning signal lights?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36364 posts
2370 upvotes
Toronto
dfphoenix wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 8:31 pm
Just bought a Townie and looking to get back on a bike after 20+ years. Only planning to hang around suburbs in good weather, but I could very well hit main roads if I get comfortably nimble and feel safe.

Reading up on the laws in my area and noticed these:

A lot more rules than when I was a kid.

I don't really look that closely at bicyclists but I don't recall seeing them signaling much. Guess I better get used to it.
Do people signal stop at a stop sign or is it a given? Now that I'm writing it out, it seems like a dumb question.

Also I need to buy lights. Any low maintenance but nice performing and visible headlight + rear. And are there any good turning signal lights?
I think they always had those rules. It was just never really enforced. They make sense though.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
dfphoenix wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 8:31 pm

just use common sense and courtesy when signaling. I always signal if there are other cars around. Most motorists probably don't understand the left hand turn signal (left arm, hand up) so I use the alternate and point with right hand.

Helmets: yes, always.
Bell: yes
Lights definitely. If you need to see in the dark, then you have to get a bright one which costs a lot more (e.g. 200 lumens brightness),
but a basic flashing rear and front light is fine to be seen riding with streetlights around

examples: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-780/ ... ront-Light
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4007-436/ ... Tail-Light)
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3710 posts
514 upvotes
Kitchener
Where do you guys look for deals on parts like wheels, chains, cables, grease, repair stand, etc?
This space is intentionally left blank.
Feb 25, 2003
151 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Thundercloud wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:57 am
Where do you guys look for deals on parts like wheels, chains, cables, grease, repair stand, etc?
Ribble Cycles
ProBikeKit
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6054 posts
632 upvotes
T dot 6
Thundercloud wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:57 am
I would keep an eye out on Amazon.ca for deals. I picked up a repair stand for $58 and Mr. Tuffy Tire Liner for $9.38.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2477 posts
178 upvotes
Mississauga
I need one soon for biking as had a few scares over the past few years (one minor assault due to going to slow but guy took off in car before I caught his plate fully after running me off the road.

What is best option these days that is quick to setup durable and has a reasonable battery
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10233 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Why not a helmet cam? That way, you can aim where you want to shoot. Assuming you take your helmet with you, less chance of it getting stolen, too.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
just stick a Gopro 5 or YI Action Cam on a helmet.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9184 posts
270 upvotes
dreaderus wrote:
May 9th, 2017 9:07 pm
I need one soon for biking as had a few scares over the past few years (one minor assault due to going to slow but guy took off in car before I caught his plate fully after running me off the road.

What is best option these days that is quick to setup durable and has a reasonable battery
I use the polaroid cube. I ended up getting a mount for it but didn't need it. It's light and the magnet on it is pretty strong. I just taped up the metal plate that it came with on the handle bars. Easy on/off.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6054 posts
632 upvotes
T dot 6
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 10th, 2017 6:14 pm
How much did they charge for shipping?
I have prime so it was free, but it was over $35 so it would have been free anyway. It was a Amazon lightning deal.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck