• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 6:56 pm
Tags:
Jan 4, 2014
93 posts
12 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
hi guys
i am considering to buy a mountain bike.
there is pretty good deal for both mongoose and nakamura from walmart and sportchek.

nakamura monster 6.6 2016 $160(no tax)
mongoose 27.5in Ledge 2.2 $149+tax=$168

pretty same price and similar review.
which bike is better?
it is not really for trail, may ride with my son around town, sometimes bring to camping.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35968 posts
2074 upvotes
Toronto
Good day people! ITs a beautiful day in Toronto. Great day for a bike ride, or just walk, take the kids to the park, enjoy!

Remember bike trail etiquette. Slow cyclist keep to the right. Its only okay to ride side by side on one condition... You keep your ears open and move to the right when you hear a bell or shout "ON YOUR LEFT!".
Try not to drift the median. Faster cyclist might show up in a hurry and you might not notice.
Speed limit by-law is 20km/hr. So speed racers, don't get angry if you have to slow down or pass! Tour de France doesn't start till July!
Jan 9, 2011
610 posts
289 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 4:03 pm
dating myself here, but when I started buying bikes for myself, all bikes were steel road bikes!

I don't really miss steel as a material for bike frames just because I had so many, but yes those Bianchis and other Italian bikes were glorious.
Yes, I ride my Vitali touring bike daily. Italian made, Columbus Gara butted steel tubing, lugged and brazed. I bought it new in 1997. It wasn't very long after that that this type of frame disappeared completely. Still on the original rear hub, handlebars, cranks, and big chain ring. Everything else has been replaced/updated. Trying to get Italian-threaded bottom brackets is a chore now, nobody stocks them locally anymore.
Jan 9, 2011
610 posts
289 upvotes
Vancouver
dfphoenix wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 8:31 pm
Do people signal stop at a stop sign or is it a given? Now that I'm writing it out, it seems like a dumb question.
Signalling when stopping is kinda tough because my left hand is busy applying the brakes. Swapping the front brakes to the right lever makes stop signalling possible, and it is something I have done on other bikes in the past, but isn't really possible on my current bike. So I don't signal stops.

After I stop for a pedestrian, I will signal a stop, to indicate to drivers who may not see the pedestrian, not to pass me.
Jan 17, 2011
203 posts
11 upvotes
You're not gonna get any quality for that kind of price but it should get you the job done depending on how much and how over all you'll be using it. I like Mongoose better and have had good experience with it.
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
652 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone rode mountain bike at blue mountain?

are the trails long ?
are the trails dangerous & fun?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1945 posts
52 upvotes
For riding at night, how bright of a light do I need? I see there's a big range for lumens... not to mention prices. Is MEC the best place to go?

TIA!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35968 posts
2074 upvotes
Toronto
bunnyfoo wrote:
May 26th, 2017 11:14 am
For riding at night, how bright of a light do I need? I see there's a big range for lumens... not to mention prices. Is MEC the best place to go?

TIA!
What city and what roads?
In central toronto near dt and areas surrounding... youre okay with dinky blinky LED's.

But i would go much higher for more suburban areas. Suburban drivers just arent used to bikes... so increased visibility is increased safety!

Don't forget your helmet :)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1960 posts
269 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote:

TIA!
I don't have much experience with lights but I have two different ones.

The first one is the Cycle Torch Night Owl: https://www.amazon.ca/Cycle-Torch-Night ... op?ie=UTF8
Does well for riding in the city and is nice and bright to help you be seen by motorists. Has high-med-low-flash modes and USB charging. I also like that you can check the battery level by holding the power button: 10 flashes = 100%; 9 flashes = 90%; 8 flashes = 80%; etc..

My second light is by RioRand: https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Light-Lum ... bike+light
I would use this one if I'm going to ride in unlit paths/trails. Is it necessary to run it on max brightness? No but I like the wow factor when it's complete darkness around you. I took this pic last summer next to the lighthouse at Tommy Thompson Park.

Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1945 posts
52 upvotes
Zephyr22b wrote:
May 26th, 2017 12:25 pm

The first one is the Cycle Torch Night Owl: https://www.amazon.ca/Cycle-Torch-Night ... op?ie=UTF8
Does well for riding in the city and is nice and bright to help you be seen by motorists. Has high-med-low-flash modes and USB charging. I also like that you can check the battery level by holding the power button: 10 flashes = 100%; 9 flashes = 90%; 8 flashes = 80%; etc..

My second light is by RioRand: https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Light-Lum ... bike+light
I would use this one if I'm going to ride in unlit paths/trails. Is it necessary to run it on max brightness? No but I like the wow factor when it's complete darkness around you. I took this pic last summer next to the lighthouse at Tommy Thompson Park.

Thanks!! I'll check those ones out :)
Sep 11, 2006
838 posts
275 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote:

TIA!
Zephyr22b wrote:
May 26th, 2017 12:25 pm

If you are buying the Cycle Torch light (the company is based in Montreal, Canada), there is this generic coupon code "CYCLE100" which will save you an additional 10%!

I would also consider the Cycle Torch Shark 500: https://www.amazon.ca/SUPERBRIGHT-Bike- ... op?ie=UTF8; it is well reviewed unit.

I ride in completely dark trails with it and if the light is set on high (already pointed slightly downward to minimize blinding others), I always hear people mumbled, "Geesh, Fxxk, etc" when I pass by them!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1945 posts
52 upvotes
virtuman1980 wrote:
May 28th, 2017 1:28 pm
If you are buying the Cycle Torch light (the company is based in Montreal, Canada), there is this generic coupon code "CYCLE100" which will save you an additional 10%!

I would also consider the Cycle Torch Shark 500: https://www.amazon.ca/SUPERBRIGHT-Bike- ... op?ie=UTF8; it is well reviewed unit.

I ride in completely dark trails with it and if the light is set on high (already pointed slightly downward to minimize blinding others), I always hear people mumbled, "Geesh, Fxxk, etc" when I pass by them!
Thanks for the code! i'll definitely think about getting the second one as it comes with a tail light - I have to get one of those as well. I just have to check out my seat post - not much room for anything as my seat is pretty low and I want to put fenders for the rain on there :o Worst case is I can use the tail light on my back pack.
Oct 4, 2008
106 posts
5 upvotes
any recommendation for budget under 1k with tax?

main purpose will be biking with my son. going to attach those trailer. probaly biking around city and park?

but i would like to join morning glory cycling club. are those cycling club only ride road bike?

also please recommens the bike shops in toronto. Any comments around Gears?
Rogers plan: 300 daytime mins/ unlimited evening/weekend after 6pm/ unlimited incoming/ 100 Long distance mins
6gb data/ Value pack (2500 txt, caller id, voice mail)
$35.08 + tax = $ 39.64