• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2023 12:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
Allan in T.Dot wrote: Riding in darker conditions, but not pitch black as this will be city riding. So this is a combination of needs: to see and be seen.

As for the helmet question...yikes! Does anyone ride without a helmet? I know it's a choice but it's fairly easy to make no? I have a headlamp but that in concert with a helmet does not work. I was thinking of a helmet mounted lamp but I don't want to interfere with the function of the helmet (it needs to slide on the pavement unhindered).
You would be suprised, I'd say about 30% don't wear a helmet, about the same amount don't have any lighting. If you end up with a light that mounts to the bike make sure you remove it or it will be stolen.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10170 posts
8295 upvotes
Toronto
Allan in T.Dot wrote: Riding in darker conditions, but not pitch black as this will be city riding. So this is a combination of needs: to see and be seen.

As for the helmet question...yikes! Does anyone ride without a helmet? I know it's a choice but it's fairly easy to make no? I have a headlamp but that in concert with a helmet does not work. I was thinking of a helmet mounted lamp but I don't want to interfere with the function of the helmet (it needs to slide on the pavement unhindered).
There are many cyclists in Toronto who ride without a helmet, myself included.
There is also a vast array of differing reasons for this behaviour.

If your helmet will be making contact with pavement, you can rest assured that the helmet lamp will near certainly be obliterated, thus still allowing for your theoretical pavement slide.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
frogger wrote: You would be suprised, I'd say about 30% don't wear a helmet, about the same amount don't have any lighting. If you end up with a light that mounts to the bike make sure you remove it or it will be stolen.
I use those knog frog knock offs and zip tie them to the bike.

Although one time… someone cut it off with a box cutter and smashed it on the ground…

Its okay. They’re $2 on ebay and even dollarama stocks them now.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10170 posts
8295 upvotes
Toronto
Allan in T.Dot wrote: Another question for the masses - anyone use these City of Toronto bike lockers? How secure are these things? I'd still lock my bike even if it was in a locker.

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... e-lockers/
It is disconcerting that the agreement stipulates the city is not on the hook if anything is stolen.
You should ask the city worker you will deal with to access this service.
I'm curious too.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Sep 7, 2010
349 posts
185 upvotes
T.Dot
Another question for the masses - since I (a) can't seem to find a way to safely lock up my bike, and (b) don't feel like paying $$$ for an electric scooter with a limited lifespan. What are your thoughts on folding bikes? Make/model recommendations? I'm 6'2" and 250lbs fully outfitted.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Allan in T.Dot wrote: Another question for the masses - since I (a) can't seem to find a way to safely lock up my bike, and (b) don't feel like paying $$$ for an electric scooter with a limited lifespan. What are your thoughts on folding bikes? Make/model recommendations? I'm 6'2" and 250lbs fully outfitted.
Good ones (Brompton) arent cheap and the cheap ones are NOT good. You get what you pay for. Also, riding one isnt the same as the bike you are used to because of the sit up position, they get twitchy. Otherwise, great option for subways commuting and ease of storage in your cubicle.
Last edited by cRaZyRaVr on Apr 27th, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 7, 2010
349 posts
185 upvotes
T.Dot
Did you mean the cheap ones "aren't good" or "are good". I did a test ride over 10 years ago. I was anxious at first because I'm used to 28" wheels and because I'm so big and tall - lo and behold, the shop didn't tighten things up properly and I went head over ass. Good thing it was a test drive because I'm sure I bent something. I'm used to a mountain bike so this has me wary as it will raise my centre of gravity on a a tiny little thing...I always feel like an elephant riding a bike at the circus or something.

[quote=cRaZyRaVr post_id=36006141 time=1651068741 user_id=12241]
Good ones (Brompton) arent cheap and the cheap ones are good. You get what you pay for. Also, riding one isnt the same as the bike you are used to because of the sit up position, they get twitchy. Otherwise, great option for subways commuting and ease of storage in your cubicle.
[/quote]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Allan in T.Dot wrote: Did you mean the cheap ones "aren't good" or "are good". I did a test ride over 10 years ago. I was anxious at first because I'm used to 28" wheels and because I'm so big and tall - lo and behold, the shop didn't tighten things up properly and I went head over ass. Good thing it was a test drive because I'm sure I bent something. I'm used to a mountain bike so this has me wary as it will raise my centre of gravity on a a tiny little thing...I always feel like an elephant riding a bike at the circus or something.

Edited for "cheap NOT good". I thought about getting one few years back but could not get used to the different riding position at 6'2" tall.
Sep 7, 2010
349 posts
185 upvotes
T.Dot
That's interesting as we are the same height. Did you tweak the handlebars to be a bit lower so you are less upright? Or did you find you were rounding out your back too much? What bike did you try? There are limited options for folks as tall as us unless we are talking Brompton range.

[quote=cRaZyRaVr post_id=36006833 time=1651077127 user_id=12241]
Edited for "cheap NOT good". I thought about getting one few years back but could not get used to the different riding position at 6'2" tall.
[/quote]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Allan in T.Dot wrote: That's interesting as we are the same height. Did you tweak the handlebars to be a bit lower so you are less upright? Or did you find you were rounding out your back too much? What bike did you try? There are limited options for folks as tall as us unless we are talking Brompton range.
Thats exactly what I tried, a Brompton. And if one of the best out there wasnt a good fit, nothing else is going to be.
Is your company not allowing a bike in the building? Is this the issue?
Sep 7, 2010
349 posts
185 upvotes
T.Dot
Interesting regarding the Brompton. I am looking at the Origami bikes right now as they would be able to take my height and weight - it's just the different seated posture I am worried about.

I would be working downtown and I live just north of Toronto so I'd be taking public transit down. Since I don't know much about these bike lockers and the City of Toronto is not liable for the contents of the locker, I'm trying to find commuting options so I don't need to pay for 2 transit systems. Electric scooters will have a lifespan but bikes...bikes will last forever as long as I maintain them...unless the weld fails on the folding bike of course - hence my quest to find one that will handle my weight.

[quote=cRaZyRaVr post_id=36010164 time=1651155185 user_id=12241]
Thats exactly what I tried, a Brompton. And if one of the best out there wasnt a good fit, nothing else is going to be.
[/quote]
Sep 7, 2010
349 posts
185 upvotes
T.Dot
I'm curious, my mountain bike has a pretty long stem which helps me get a more aerodynamic posture and lower COG that I am used to. Since folding bikes cannot accommodate a stem, has anyone tried replacing the handlebar with a more forward profile? I mean this:

https://www.bikedepot.com/product/deity ... 8302-1.htm

[quote=cRaZyRaVr post_id=36010164 time=1651155185 user_id=12241]
[/quote]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
I would not mess around with anyting like that on a folding bike. This can throw your balance off ever more. This about it, you are sitting up high but leaning forward. That doesnt make sense.
But again, I dont understand the need for a folding bike.... I mean you can bring a bike onto a subway, CN or a bus (they have racks) and if working at an office, I am sure they can accommodate the small space that a bike takes up.
Also, you might just MIGHT be overthinking things a bit. K.I.S.S. is the key.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10170 posts
8295 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I would not mess around with anyting like that on a folding bike. This can throw your balance off ever more. This about it, you are sitting up high but leaning forward. That doesnt make sense.
But again, I dont understand the need for a folding bike.... I mean you can bring a bike onto a subway, CN or a bus (they have racks) and if working at an office, I am sure they can accommodate the small space that a bike takes up.
Also, you might just MIGHT be overthinking things a bit. K.I.S.S. is the key.
I'd agree - you need to be much more careful about the ergonomics of a folding bike.
Frame flexion is an issue with folding bikes, which thus limits the aerodynamic possibilities from making mods.
While I am very experimental when it comes to regular frame bike mods, I would not be such with a folding bike (for safety reasons).

Honestly - just put together a beater bike with mid range parts, and lock it outside of a TTC station.
There really is no need for a high end commuter bike in a city like Toronto, where Bike theft is fairly high at times.
My commuter bike (which i lock outside of TTC stations on occasion) is a Frankenstein build - it isn't flashy to the eye, and is a mix mash of spare components from various sets.
She's built well, but offers little flashy appeal to crackhead bike thieves.

As Han would say - "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

You need to take this approach, but for bikes.
https://streamable.com/m7omz
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
We forget that there is this for the not so serious cyclists. Loads of great info here.
Bump.
Apr 30, 2020
472 posts
526 upvotes
Vancouver
i have a brompton and i've also owned a tern verge.
sold the tern because the fold was just terrible. the magnets that hold it together are weak and need to be aligned perfectly or it all comes loose.
it's fine when the bike is folded nicely on the floor but if you're trying to carry it folded or even get it into your car that way, it's a pain in the ass.
also when you fold it up, it's super wide, the footprint is enormous compared to the brompton.
i've ridden my brompton on casual rides with my friends who were on road bikes, as long as we're just having fun i had no problem keeping up.
of course if you're on a serious ride it will not keep up, but that's not really what it's for.

out of all the bikes i own the brompton puts a smile on my face the most, it's a really well thought out bike in every regard.

i've ridden my tern and another friend's dahon and felt that the fold was a lot sloppier. of course they're way cheaper, you can get a tern for like $600 or something while a brompton costs about $2500.
Sep 29, 2011
248 posts
220 upvotes
Quebec
Hi all,

I'm 33 and I'm a road cyclist since more than 10 years (I have a CAAD9 Dura-Ace, that I really like).
I have one daughter (1 year old) and she already have 2 bikes (1 Giant push bike and one Cannondale with pedals, both 12 inches wheels).
I see myself as a cycling enthousiast!

I start to realize that a road bike is not great with a kid and when camping, so I'm looking to buy a mountain bike (I prefer to have 2 specialized (not the brand) bikes instead of one all around (i.e. one gravel bike). Yes I'm early but I have a lot to learn about MTB.

So I'm looking for an hardtail that will be used very gently for most of the time and maybe some light trails a couple of times a year. I use to rent MTB when travelling...
From what I have leard so far, that's call a cross country bike?

I have some preferences.

- 1x drivetrain
- as much Shimano parts as possible
- hydrolic brakes
- lifetime warranty on the frame

Budget max 1300-1400$
I'm located in QC

My choice for now: Trek Marlin 7
https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... 7/p/33148/

Any other suggestions?

Thanks all!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
shikotee wrote: I'd agree - you need to be much more careful about the ergonomics of a folding bike.
Frame flexion is an issue with folding bikes, which thus limits the aerodynamic possibilities from making mods.
While I am very experimental when it comes to regular frame bike mods, I would not be such with a folding bike (for safety reasons).

Honestly - just put together a beater bike with mid range parts, and lock it outside of a TTC station.
There really is no need for a high end commuter bike in a city like Toronto, where Bike theft is fairly high at times.
My commuter bike (which i lock outside of TTC stations on occasion) is a Frankenstein build - it isn't flashy to the eye, and is a mix mash of spare components from various sets.
She's built well, but offers little flashy appeal to crackhead bike thieves.

As Han would say - "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

You need to take this approach, but for bikes.
https://streamable.com/m7omz
Interesting… so crappy frame, good components?

Do crack heads fall for the mid range bikes covered in tape? I’ve seen people uglify decent mid range style $900 bikes.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Are fenders important for someone who commutes all year round?