Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
swc0921 wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 12:10 am
any recommendation for budget under 1k with tax?

main purpose will be biking with my son. going to attach those trailer. probaly biking around city and park?

but i would like to join morning glory cycling club. are those cycling club only ride road bike?

also please recommens the bike shops in toronto. Any comments around Gears?
Usually for casual city riding, a fitness hybrid is a good place to start.

You can attach a trailer on most types of bikes. I've attached a trailer to a folding bike, and you can attach one to even a high end road bike (but you have to check whether the bracket will fit, some frames don't have the space around the axle for the bracket). I could attach the bracket to my Cannondale Synapse Aluminum. I would recommend a Giant Contend if you want to get a road bike. Giant Rapid https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/rapid-3 would be a good performance hybrid for faster riding/

Those club rides are usually road bikes given they tend to ride at speeds above 25km/h.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Jan 7, 2017
142 posts
99 upvotes
Hamilton
swc0921 wrote: any recommendation for budget under 1k with tax?

main purpose will be biking with my son. going to attach those trailer. probaly biking around city and park?

but i would like to join morning glory cycling club. are those cycling club only ride road bike?

also please recommens the bike shops in toronto. Any comments around Gears?
With tax it'll be tricky for a road bike, but Brown's has some bikes around $999 pre tax... They might be able to budge the price if you tell them your budget.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6006 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
Wheels of Bloor currently has some unbelievable pricing
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-o ... 1250061895

The Shimano 11speed alone is almost worth the price.

I always found Browns to be expensive considering they are also a wholesale supplier.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
trini wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 12:29 pm
that's hot....almost back of van unbelievable.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3755 posts
531 upvotes
Kitchener
bunnyfoo wrote:
May 26th, 2017 11:14 am
For riding at night, how bright of a light do I need? I see there's a big range for lumens... not to mention prices. Is MEC the best place to go?

TIA!
I don't really like cycle specific lights. They cost too much for what they are.

I just strap my budget light ($12 usd Convoy S2+) that takes 18650 rechargeable lithium cells on my bike using a Twofish lockblock.
This space is intentionally left blank.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36688 posts
2545 upvotes
Toronto
Thundercloud wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 10:00 pm
I don't really like cycle specific lights. They cost too much for what they are.

I just strap my budget light ($12 usd Convoy S2+) that takes 18650 rechargeable lithium cells on my bike using a Twofish lockblock.
Me too! Some generic 18650 powered flash light off ebay. The mounts are only a few bucks :)
The reAr is ez. Any generic red LED will do.
Jan 7, 2017
142 posts
99 upvotes
Hamilton
trini wrote:
Jun 1st, 2017 12:29 pm
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/city-o ... 1250061895

The Shimano 11speed alone is almost worth the price.

I always found Browns to be expensive considering they are also a wholesale supplier.
Does anyone have any experience with Louis Garneau bikes? Quite a few of the bikes on clearance at Wheels are LG. They always seem to be priced as a discount brand, but I don't know how that plays out in their quality.
Dec 1, 2016
31 posts
1 upvote
Sorry I just new here and could not go for 100+ pages, but i have two question need advice:
-any one here experience with Scott speedster 30 aluminium bike, are they good for ethusiast road cyclist? I intend to buy used one about 500-600$.
-can tou recommend good (perfomance/value) cycling jersey and short for summer?
Pearl izumi or louis garneau is comparable to castelli, or any good brand?
Jan 7, 2017
142 posts
99 upvotes
Hamilton
talmcgill wrote: Sorry I just new here and could not go for 100+ pages, but i have two question need advice:
-any one here experience with Scott speedster 30 aluminium bike, are they good for ethusiast road cyclist? I intend to buy used one about 500-600$.
-can tou recommend good (perfomance/value) cycling jersey and short for summer?
Pearl izumi or louis garneau is comparable to castelli, or any good brand?
If you're a Mec member, I like their updated bib shorts (Bolt).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36688 posts
2545 upvotes
Toronto
How do I make a bike that's too small for me, more comfortable for long rides?

Bike 1989 Bianchi Strada LX, in white. With celeste decals and brake tubing.

I bought this bike years ago and love it dearly even though its one size too small for me. On long rides I find that my hands and elbows get sore. Most likely due to it being too low and me having to bend too far to grab them. Thus putting extra pressure on my arms at a weird angle.

So far... I have the handle bar stem as high as it can safely go. I switched to a flat bar which helps a bit.
I understand any further solution might make it look goofy... But the frame and drivetrain work so smoothly.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jun 12th, 2017 4:29 pm
I bought this bike years ago and love it dearly even though its one size too small for me. On long rides I find that my hands and elbows get sore. Most likely due to it being too low and me having to bend too far to grab them. Thus putting extra pressure on my arms at a weird angle.

So far... I have the handle bar stem as high as it can safely go. I switched to a flat bar which helps a bit.
would you consider replacing the stem with a riser stem? Like the ones on this page? https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems/
Feb 10, 2003
743 posts
178 upvotes
Calgary
Any suggestions for low cost, bang for your buck upgrades on a road bike?
I used to commute on a Giant Roam 2 hybrid but recently bought the Northrock SCR1 Costco bike from a liquidation store for $300.

Specs breakdown (listed specs, and from an ex-mechanic in the thread who bought one)
6061 Aluminum frame 1340g
Carbon fork 360g
Shimano Sora STI shifters, FD, RD, 12-25 cassette
No name 50/34 forged crankset
No name wheels 2400g
Kenda 23mm tires

Thinking about upgrading wheels and/or tires (these are the weakest link based on the other thread), and possibly to clipless pedals (but the idea still scares me a bit).

I've found older generation Shimano RS010 wheels on Ribblecycles.co.uk for $125/set, which seems quite reasonable, but I'm conflicted about spending 1/2 the cost of the bike on new wheels. Would I actually notice a difference between an 1800g wheelset vs 2400g?

Anything else I should consider as a starting point for upgrades instead? or should I just not bother being that it's a cheap "department store" bike?