Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10619 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
bomber17 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 3:02 pm
So I don't know why but I placed an order for a Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 haha. Thanks to warpdrive for his help at the other thread for his insight and info.
You certainly jumped in headfirst! that should be an awesome bike.

don't forget, you have to post pics when you get it!

You'll need pedals first, so do some research on what you kind of pedals will suit your usage. If you go clipless, most people put MTB pedals on their cyclocross bikes

Accessories: get the Giant RideSense speed/cadence sensors, with a bike computer to track your rides (GPS one if you want to track your rides in detail). Other than that, you'll want shoes, helmet, bicycle shorts. The bike store should be able to guide you on that.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1626 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 8:27 pm
You certainly jumped in headfirst! that should be an awesome bike.

don't forget, you have to post pics when you get it!

You'll need pedals first, so do some research on what you kind of pedals will suit your usage. If you go clipless, most people put MTB pedals on their cyclocross bikes

Accessories: get the Giant RideSense speed/cadence sensors, with a bike computer to track your rides (GPS one if you want to track your rides in detail). Other than that, you'll want shoes, helmet, bicycle shorts. The bike store should be able to guide you on that.
Sounds good. Cause it's such a big purchase IMO, I'll probably go flat pedals for now so I can use regular shoes and switch to clipless later. Any recommendations? I know the bike store can guide me but I wanna be armed with info so I don't get ripped off.

EDIT: I see on a lot of bikes people wrap the areas where the chains are so they don't rub or chain slap? Would that be recommended? It does make the bike look worse though.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10619 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
bomber17 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 9:36 pm
Sounds good. Cause it's such a big purchase IMO, I'll probably go flat pedals for now so I can use regular shoes and switch to clipless later. Any recommendations? I know the bike store can guide me but I wanna be armed with info so I don't get ripped off.

EDIT: I see on a lot of bikes people wrap the areas where the chains are so they don't rub or chain slap? Would that be recommended? It does make the bike look worse though.
My wife uses MKS Sylvan pedals, they are classic touring style pedals, Might look a bit out of place on a high tech carbon bike though.
Also consider dual platform pedals like these: http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/us ... d_m324.php which has a SPD side or regular platform side. Not exactly light, but may be all you need for commuting or general riding.

Yes, the chain may hit the chainstay so most bikes already have a strip of plastic installed in that spot. You can definitely buy an extra chain protection in the form of a wrap (yes, it's ugly but works). I have the Lizard Skin Chainstay Protector

I use this stuff on my bike. It's basically a thick vinyl material that you can cut and press onto the various tubes. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e ... prod148119 I highly recommend it. It is easy to apply, and most importantly, it sticks just strongly enough but doesn't leave any goo if you have to pull it off later. I put it where the cables touch the frame, and on the tube behind the front tires which kicks up dirt.

By the way, that chainreaction site is a popular European parts store that people order a lot of accessories from. You may have to pay taxes/duties but the prices are still often much cheaper (choose untracked or prepaid duty options to avoid large courier brokerage fees)
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3756 posts
531 upvotes
Kitchener
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:19 pm
Not worth the effort of swapping shifting (Shifters/derailleurs), the new stuff should work at least as well or better than the old 105 stuff.
Swerny wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 8:57 am
not worth the effort and with trickle down technology, current Sora is likely better than 10 year old 105
Alright, thanks. Any ideas about crankset compatibility between the old 10 speed and new 9 speed?

They're both 50/34 so I won't need to worry about chain length. But how about the chain... width?
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10619 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
Thundercloud wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 5:19 am
Alright, thanks. Any ideas about crankset compatibility between the old 10 speed and new 9 speed?

They're both 50/34 so I won't need to worry about chain length. But how about the chain... width?
Higher speed chains may be fractionally narrower, but in general, you won't have any problem between 9 and 10 speed or 10 and 11 speed cranks. Give it a try.
Feb 25, 2003
172 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
bomber17 wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 3:02 pm
So I don't know why but I placed an order for a Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 haha. Thanks to warpdrive for his help at the other thread for his insight and info.

It's coming in a week or so and it's going to be my first bike. What are some things I should do and add? Thanks!
Congrats on the new bike! Some things you might want to get...bib shorts, bottle cages, clipless pedals & shoes, good u-lock, lights if you're using it to commute
Feb 14, 2004
915 posts
55 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Can any1 recommend where is a place to get wheels for road bikes? I brought a costco Northrock SCR1 roadbike, and was hoping to replaced the stock tire with the schwalbe hs 440 700c x 25 tire. However, the stock wheel is too small for the said schwalbe tires...

I m not sure how much I can spend on a set of new wheels.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10619 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
pcboy wrote:
Jul 1st, 2017 11:56 pm
Can any1 recommend where is a place to get wheels for road bikes? I brought a costco Northrock SCR1 roadbike, and was hoping to replaced the stock tire with the schwalbe hs 440 700c x 25 tire. However, the stock wheel is too small for the said schwalbe tires...

I m not sure how much I can spend on a set of new wheels.
why do you think the wheels are too small?
What is the E.T.R.T.O size that's marked on the rim?
700x25C tires fit on a rim that's 13 to 17mm.
Feb 14, 2004
915 posts
55 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
warpdrive wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 10:13 am
why do you think the wheels are too small?
What is the E.T.R.T.O size that's marked on the rim?
700x25C tires fit on a rim that's 13 to 17mm.
I brought the schwalbe hs 440 700c x 25 from chain reaction, and their rep told me because the schwalbe hs 440 is more like a touring tire, so it requires bigger RIM to accomodate. I brought the tires to a LBS, and they confirmed the tires are too small for the existing rim. I m not sure how to check the ETRTO size marked on the rim, I don't recall seeing any marking.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10619 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
pcboy wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 1:44 pm
I brought the schwalbe hs 440 700c x 25 from chain reaction, and their rep told me because the schwalbe hs 440 is more like a touring tire, so it requires bigger RIM to accomodate. I brought the tires to a LBS, and they confirmed the tires are too small for the existing rim. I m not sure how to check the ETRTO size marked on the rim, I don't recall seeing any marking.
the ETRTO is a number like this: 622x17 (the smaller of the two numbers is the inside rim width)
It's usually marked somewhere on the rim itself. You can measure the inner width yourself (once you take off the tire) with a ruler or calipers

Normal 25C tires are designed to fit rims down to 13mm.

Is this the same tire as you bought? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e ... -prod24544

In the first question on that web page, somebody asked:
Featured Q&A

Q: My Cannondale has Maddux rims (700C 622 x 16c - ETRTO Approved use 15c-19c inner rim width). Would these rims take the Marathons 700 x 35?
by Miley

A: Yes, these tyres would offer an excellent volume on this rim width.
by CRCAndyC, Chain Reaction Cycles Staff
That user has a 16mm rim (normal for a road bike) and the staff said it would be fine with a 700x35C tire.

Not sure why yours would not fit.
Feb 14, 2004
915 posts
55 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
warpdrive wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2017 2:10 pm
the ETRTO is a number like this: 622x17 (the smaller of the two numbers is the inside rim width)
It's usually marked somewhere on the rim itself. You can measure the inner width yourself (once you take off the tire) with a ruler or calipers

Normal 25C tires are designed to fit rims down to 13mm.

Is this the same tire as you bought? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e ... -prod24544

In the first question on that web page, somebody asked:

That user has a 16mm rim (normal for a road bike) and the staff said it would be fine with a 700x35C tire.

Not sure why yours would not fit.
Yes, this is exactly the one I brought. This is what they replied:

The tyres themselves will be fine, the issue is that the Marathon Plus is a large volume touring style tyre, it is not a dedicated road tyre like the others you will have tried which makes it difficult to fit to skinny road wheels.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10619 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
pcboy wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2017 12:05 am
Yes, this is exactly the one I brought. This is what they replied:

The tyres themselves will be fine, the issue is that the Marathon Plus is a large volume touring style tyre, it is not a dedicated road tyre like the others you will have tried which makes it difficult to fit to skinny road wheels.
The way I interpret that comment, he is saying it's difficult to "mount" the tire on a skinny road wheel, he isn't saying it won't fit. Googling the tire, I saw this video that says it's a very hard tire to mount (there are other videos too, so it seems it's a common problem)

I'm not sure what your LBS said about it, did they actually say you needed a wider road wheel (or there is no way it will fit) ? I would get a second opinion. Did they say it won't clear the brake calipers or something? That's the only other issue I can think of that would prevent you using the tire (but new wheels wouldn't help that)

Honestly, I would just try to mount it. 700x25C is a road bike tire size, and 25C tires should mount on most road wheels unless the one that come with your bike is extra skinny. I see comments on amazon reviews where people replaced their 23c road bike tire with the Marathon Plus, so I really can't see why it wouldn't work. Normal road bike wheels are 15-17mm on most bikes these days. So I'm not sure a wider wheel would help you unless your rim is extra skinny (13mm)

so.....if your bike doesn't' have clearance for the tires (tire will rub against the frame or brakes), you're out of luck. New rims won't help.
The only way to find out for sure is to try it.....but I don't think that new wheels will help at all as I can't see that being an issue.
Feb 14, 2004
915 posts
55 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
the wheel is 622-14. I guess I will have to look for something in the range of 622-15 or 16 in order to fit the said tires? Clearance is tight for the front, but the rear should be fine.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10619 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
pcboy wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 7:42 pm
the wheel is 622-14. I guess I will have to look for something in the range of 622-15 or 16 in order to fit the said tires? Clearance is tight for the front, but the rear should be fine.
it still should fit on your rim (looking at the above chart), but it will be probably difficult to mount just because of the stiff bead and volume of the tire. I'm not sure getting a 1 or 2mm wider wheel is going to make much of a difference especially considering new wheels will cost $200+. You probably don't want to be spending that much on wheels when the whole bike didn't cost all that much.

Some tires are just more difficult to mount than others and this tire looks like one of the hard ones. Looking at the videos, that zip tie trick seems like a great idea....might try that someday.

basically you're going to have to try it before you should try to invest in new wheels.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1626 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Got my new TCX Advanced Pro 2. Had a few hours riding it and it's such a blast!

Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.