Sports & Recreation

[OFFICIAL] Cycling thread for commuters and the casual enthusiast

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 5:05 pm
Tags:
Feb 3, 2017
94 posts
7 upvotes
My GT KARAKORAM was just stolen last week, so I'm looking at picking up a budget bike for trail and commute. If you had to choose between a GT Karakoram or a Norco Storm 9.2, what would it be? Anyone know frame weights? I do prefer the geometry of the Norco better, but components seem to be just slightly less impressive.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2847 posts
966 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
I need an anti-theft seat clamp. Anyone have any recommendations? TIA
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6647 posts
1002 upvotes
pattyking18 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 1:39 am
Anyone know where i can get Marin bikes in the GTA?
Royal Distributing in Whitby.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1766 posts
88 upvotes
casual rider. Starting to ride to work. About 16.5km each way.
Have a hybrid, but thinking of getting a road bike. The headwind on the way home is pretty brutal, and a road bike should help with that.

LBS has a used Colnago AC-R in my size. Carbon frame, Shimano Ultegra. Reg $3300 on for $1700. I understand that the AC-R is Colnago's entry level bike. I was originally thinking that my budget was going to be around $1500. I assume that spending the extra few hundred will be more than worth it?

Or is this overkill for my casual needs? Any thoughts?

Anything I should be aware of when buying a used bike from a reputable bike store?
Jul 10, 2007
291 posts
177 upvotes
Edmonton
What are your thoughts on this bike and the price?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equ ... 34597.html

I'm just looking for a decent bike to ride with my kids. Nothing serious, but I don't want a piece of junk. Should I go with a Specialized Sirrus instead? I probably could get a Sirrus under $1k on sale or is this bike sufficient? I'm about 6 feet so I was going to get the L size bike. Thanks for your help!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10218 posts
1436 upvotes
Ottawa
golfcraze wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 11:29 am
What are your thoughts on this bike and the price?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equ ... 34597.html

I'm just looking for a decent bike to ride with my kids. Nothing serious, but I don't want a piece of junk. Should I go with a Specialized Sirrus instead? I probably could get a Sirrus under $1k on sale or is this bike sufficient? I'm about 6 feet so I was going to get the L size bike. Thanks for your help!
looks fine to me. A fancier Sirrus would be overkill unless you have really fast kids!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10218 posts
1436 upvotes
Ottawa
mcewen wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 10:12 am
casual rider. Starting to ride to work. About 16.5km each way.
Have a hybrid, but thinking of getting a road bike. The headwind on the way home is pretty brutal, and a road bike should help with that.

LBS has a used Colnago AC-R in my size. Carbon frame, Shimano Ultegra. Reg $3300 on for $1700. I understand that the AC-R is Colnago's entry level bike. I was originally thinking that my budget was going to be around $1500. I assume that spending the extra few hundred will be more than worth it?

Or is this overkill for my casual needs? Any thoughts?

Anything I should be aware of when buying a used bike from a reputable bike store?
Carbon is a material that can fail and need warranty service. Do it come with a warranty? That's the big downside of buying carbon, warranty may not apply to a second owner.

It's only overkill if you think so. Having a great bike to commute with is fun, but at the same time, most people pick a bike that they don't mind riding in the rain and leaving locked up in a rack.

A new ACR seems to go on sale for 2300 http://www.wheelsofbloor.com/specials/r ... -r-ultegra as a point of comparison