Sports & Recreation

[OFFICIAL] Cycling thread for commuters and the casual enthusiast

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 11:36 am
Tags:
Feb 3, 2017
97 posts
7 upvotes
My GT KARAKORAM was just stolen last week, so I'm looking at picking up a budget bike for trail and commute. If you had to choose between a GT Karakoram or a Norco Storm 9.2, what would it be? Anyone know frame weights? I do prefer the geometry of the Norco better, but components seem to be just slightly less impressive.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2895 posts
994 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
I need an anti-theft seat clamp. Anyone have any recommendations? TIA
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1080 upvotes
pattyking18 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 1:39 am
Anyone know where i can get Marin bikes in the GTA?
Royal Distributing in Whitby.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1788 posts
98 upvotes
casual rider. Starting to ride to work. About 16.5km each way.
Have a hybrid, but thinking of getting a road bike. The headwind on the way home is pretty brutal, and a road bike should help with that.

LBS has a used Colnago AC-R in my size. Carbon frame, Shimano Ultegra. Reg $3300 on for $1700. I understand that the AC-R is Colnago's entry level bike. I was originally thinking that my budget was going to be around $1500. I assume that spending the extra few hundred will be more than worth it?

Or is this overkill for my casual needs? Any thoughts?

Anything I should be aware of when buying a used bike from a reputable bike store?
Jul 10, 2007
311 posts
196 upvotes
Edmonton
What are your thoughts on this bike and the price?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equ ... 34597.html

I'm just looking for a decent bike to ride with my kids. Nothing serious, but I don't want a piece of junk. Should I go with a Specialized Sirrus instead? I probably could get a Sirrus under $1k on sale or is this bike sufficient? I'm about 6 feet so I was going to get the L size bike. Thanks for your help!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10608 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
golfcraze wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 11:29 am
What are your thoughts on this bike and the price?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/equ ... 34597.html

I'm just looking for a decent bike to ride with my kids. Nothing serious, but I don't want a piece of junk. Should I go with a Specialized Sirrus instead? I probably could get a Sirrus under $1k on sale or is this bike sufficient? I'm about 6 feet so I was going to get the L size bike. Thanks for your help!
looks fine to me. A fancier Sirrus would be overkill unless you have really fast kids!
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10608 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
mcewen wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 10:12 am
Have a hybrid, but thinking of getting a road bike. The headwind on the way home is pretty brutal, and a road bike should help with that.

LBS has a used Colnago AC-R in my size. Carbon frame, Shimano Ultegra. Reg $3300 on for $1700. I understand that the AC-R is Colnago's entry level bike. I was originally thinking that my budget was going to be around $1500. I assume that spending the extra few hundred will be more than worth it?

Anything I should be aware of when buying a used bike from a reputable bike store?
Carbon is a material that can fail and need warranty service. Do it come with a warranty? That's the big downside of buying carbon, warranty may not apply to a second owner.

It's only overkill if you think so. Having a great bike to commute with is fun, but at the same time, most people pick a bike that they don't mind riding in the rain and leaving locked up in a rack.

A new ACR seems to go on sale for 2300 http://www.wheelsofbloor.com/specials/r ... -r-ultegra as a point of comparison
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6270 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
dreaderus wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 2:07 pm
Would 2 hours of hard biking equal 30 minutes of running? I really don't enjoy running as much as biking but right now trying to lean out, and feel both are necessary.

in 1.5 to 2 hours doing about 30-35km VS perhaps 4-5km of run/walk which isn't as fun :)
according to my strava... an avg medium effort bike ride along the lakeshore trail and lakeshore road on my road bike (avg. spd. approx 23-26 km/h with stops), I burn the same amount of calories in a 30 min jog as I do in an hour long bike ride. Not sure how accurate those measurement are though since I only use my HR monitor when I ride, which I find makes a huge difference in the calorie burn calculations.

That being said... I hate jogging so much. I find it so much harder on my body and feel way more beat up after a jog than I do a bike ride.
Last edited by jamgyu on Jul 21st, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6270 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 5:22 pm
Got my new TCX Advanced Pro 2. Had a few hours riding it and it's such a blast!

Nice bike! Colour match bottles are a nice touch.
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
jamgyu wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 3:16 pm
Nice bike! Colour match bottles are a nice touch.
Thanks! That's actually why I got them LOL Paid $3 dollar premium for it.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10608 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
jamgy u wrote: according to my strava... an avg medium effort bike ride along the lakeshore trail and lakeshore road on my road bike (avg. spd. approx 23-26 km/h with stops), I burn the same amount of calories in a 30 min jog as I do in an hour long bike ride. Not sure how accurate those measurement are though since I only use my HR monitor when I ride, which I find makes a huge difference in the calorie burn calculations.

That being said... I hate jogging so much. I find it so much harder on my body and feel way more beat up after a jog than I do a bike ride.

Yeah, jogging always seemed at least twice as hard effort wise.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36682 posts
2543 upvotes
Toronto
mcewen wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 10:12 am

Wow... too flashy and fancy for a commuter. Can you take it into the office with you?
That is tempting enough for thieves to pull off the day light angle grinder! Thats $3k...
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2100 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
IF anyone is looking I am selling my bicycle repair stand - Park Tools PCS-10 for $250. Located in Mississauga.