• Sep 11th, 2017 9:10 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1783 posts
98 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 11:06 pm
Wow... too flashy and fancy for a commuter. Can you take it into the office with you?
That is tempting enough for thieves to pull off the day light angle grinder! Thats $3k...
yeah. I tried the bike, but it was too much of a racing position. Need an endurance geometry bike.

This will be a steal of a bike for someone looking for something like this....
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10392 posts
1565 upvotes
Ottawa
mcewen wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 4:03 pm
yeah. I tried the bike, but it was too much of a racing position. Need an endurance geometry bike.
Have a look at the Trek Emonda ALR 4.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... Code=black
Perfect fast commuting bike with endurance geometry. Only a bit heavier than an entry level carbon bike
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1592 posts
146 upvotes
I'm looking to get a road bike for group rides, and possibly eventually racing and possibly a triathlon. Currently I have a single speed commuter that I'll take on 50-75km rides with my wife, but I'd like to get something with gears so hills and higher speeds are easier.

Loose budget of $1500. Should I look for sales in August Sept? Or buy used? (I find people really overprice used gear, 10 year old bike for $1200!?)
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1783 posts
98 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 9:15 am
Have a look at the Trek Emonda ALR 4.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... Code=black
Perfect fast commuting bike with endurance geometry. Only a bit heavier than an entry level carbon bike
not sure... Shimano Tiagra isn't a big plus. I think I'd rather spend a bit more and get a 105. That way I am pretty sure I'd be happy forever and never need to upgrade.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10392 posts
1565 upvotes
Ottawa
mcewen wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 1:59 pm
not sure... Shimano Tiagra isn't a big plus. I think I'd rather spend a bit more and get a 105. That way I am pretty sure I'd be happy forever and never need to upgrade.
The current tiagra is functionally identical to 105 these days as it has all the same features due to trickle down except for 11 speed. I'd bet one could not tell the difference if you rode them back to bacjk.. But if getting the 105 model makes you happier.....im sure they would be happy to take your money :) the one thing I like about some of these treks is that you get the correct brakes and crank and even cassette. Too many bikes sub in a non matching crank or brake or other parts....it's obvious cost cutting

I'd rather have a full proper group than a higher spec bike with a mishmash of parts

Edit: as an example of parts subbing, the ACR doesn't come with ultegra chain, crank, cassette or brakes. More than half the parts are substituted...so I don't consider it a real ultegra bike
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2882 posts
985 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Anyone using Pinheads locking skewers etc? Comments about same?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3286 posts
419 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
makaturing wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:13 pm
I've been using them to protect my wheels for a few years. No theft attempts so far, though I wouldn't recommend buying them as they're pretty easy to defeat:

If you're looking for a better product to protect your wheels only, I'd recommend the Nutlock. It has none of the vulnerabilities of the Pinheads:

If you're looking for a product that can secure virtually every component on your bike (including the wheels), I'd recommend considering Hexlox:
https://hexlox.com/
Jun 11, 2010
254 posts
142 upvotes
ottawa
Hey RFD,

I was wondering if there was a preference for city biking on 26" vs 29" wheel size? I see a really good price locally for 26" wheel size bike, but it's marked as 'Youth'. I'm guessing going with 29" is preferred?

Thank you.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
makaturing wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 3:13 pm
I can't compare to Pinheads or Nutlock, but I got these for much cheaper http://www.sweetpetes.com/product/evo-a ... t-5086.htm

It also uses a special key to unlock and yes, it's not a unique key like it is for the other ones but at least a deterrent from my old quick release skewers.
Feb 25, 2003
151 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
rockthecasbah wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:21 pm
I can't compare to Pinheads or Nutlock, but I got these for much cheaper http://www.sweetpetes.com/product/evo-a ... t-5086.htm

It also uses a special key to unlock and yes, it's not a unique key like it is for the other ones but at least a deterrent from my old quick release skewers.
If anyone is in Vancouver, and looking for a set of those like rockthecashbah posted, I know a place selling them for $25.
Feb 25, 2003
151 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
barqers wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 12:27 pm
Hey RFD,

I was wondering if there was a preference for city biking on 26" vs 29" wheel size? I see a really good price locally for 26" wheel size bike, but it's marked as 'Youth'. I'm guessing going with 29" is preferred?

Thank you.
IMO, doesn't really matter if you're just biking around the city. I commute both on my old mountain bike (26" wheel) and my road bike (700c which is same size as 29"). You can get 26" slick tires if you want to gain a bit more speed.
Jun 11, 2010
254 posts
142 upvotes
ottawa
DeeCee wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 9:35 am
IMO, doesn't really matter if you're just biking around the city. I commute both on my old mountain bike (26" wheel) and my road bike (700c which is same size as 29"). You can get 26" slick tires if you want to gain a bit more speed.
Thank you DeeCee! It looks like a great price for a Schwinn Volare 26" tire base. Might as well check it out then.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Ok so this is prolly frowned upon in this thread but I'm considering getting (in addition to my regular bike) a pedelec bike for commuting to work. My commute home is all hills so would be nice to be less sweaty on the trek home.

Since I'm in Toronto, where anything and everything is stolen, I'm not looking to spend that much on it. Thinking $1500ish with taxes. I really liked Juiced bikes which are really good in quality/reputation and price, but that's in the US because the dealer in Canada makes the price part no longer a selling point.

So I'm looking at a Voltbike Urban (a folding ebike that isn't super obvious it's electric with an overt battery pack and that I can fold up to put it by my desk a work) and Populo Sport (it's a fixie with a motor, no disc brakes but "normal bike" looking). Each have their positives and negatives.

Any other suggestions on a very budget friendly but decent pedelec bike that I should be looking at? Choices for Canada seems way more limited :\
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2882 posts
985 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
rockthecasbah wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 9:33 pm
Choices for Canada seems way more limited
Ain't that always the way?

Have a look on amazon.ca. Search for "Benelli ebike".

They are sold by a third party seller called Unlimited Worldwide. I have some positive experience with them, they are Canadian, located in Richmond Hill.

Periodically they will add a "used" option to their Amazon listings, with a very substantial discount (like over $1000). These bikes are not really used, they are in brand new condition with a bit of dust on them, maybe from being on their display floor.

They will ship one to your door via UPS packed in a nice protective box for around ten bucks. Beats me how they can ship the things for less than it costs them, but who's complaining?

Here's a review of one model: https://electricbikereview.com/benelli/classica/
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
makaturing wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 6:12 pm
Ain't that always the way?

Have a look on amazon.ca. Search for "Benelli ebike".

They are sold by a third party seller called Unlimited Worldwide. I have some positive experience with them, they are Canadian, located in Richmond Hill.

Periodically they will add a "used" option to their Amazon listings, with a very substantial discount (like over $1000). These bikes are not really used, they are in brand new condition with a bit of dust on them, maybe from being on their display floor.

They will ship one to your door via UPS packed in a nice protective box for around ten bucks. Beats me how they can ship the things for less than it costs them, but who's complaining?

Here's a review of one model: https://electricbikereview.com/benelli/classica/
Thank you! The Benelli bikes seem pretty good quality, the "fob" access to turn on seems to be a really great ideathan just always being able to turn on like the other bikes. The specs on the battery seems to be less powerful but still a very good option to consider. There's currently a "used" options for the Classica, comes to $1999~ with tax/shipping. Definitely will keep an eye out on this brand. (I never even considered looking at amazon.ca for ebike options!)

I am not in a huge rush to buy the bike yet since I'm just doing regular biking now and sweating up hills is less a concern with cooler weather. But will keep looking at options before buying.