Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11324 posts
2178 upvotes
Ottawa
rockthecasbah wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 9:08 pm
Ya apparently the Urban with the spokeless wheels is over 50 lbs. But after I asked about whether I could easily roll it (since carrying a 50 lb seems difficult) it, they told me the new version will be back to normal spokes and should be 5 lbs less (or about the same weight as previous Urbans).
I think the only fairly light ebike of decent price is the Populos Sport which is 36 lbs and maybe the EasyGo Race.
My wife's Trek/Bionx ebike weighs around 45 pounds and it's basically impossible to carry. The only way to move it any distance without rolling it is to remove the battery and put it in a knapsack and then have some kind of strap on the frame so you can carry it on your shoulder. I already have enough trouble just lifting the thing onto my hitch bike rack. ebikes are great for covering distance but they are only great if you have somewhere you can roll it to for parking it. I just don't ever see the usefulness of a folding ebike that can't be rolled when folded.

If I ever have a ton of money to burn (i.e.. I'd estimate $4K or more), I'd would get a Brompton Electric when it is available in Canada. 36 pounds with battery and the battery is designed to be carried on your back and the bike has the same compact fold Bromptons are known for. Of course, you can still roll it easily like all bromptons.

edit:

When/If Revelo offers their LIFT bike with electric kit, then that's where I'd be looking. It's already light and I'm sure a battery version would rival the Brompton Electric's weight.
Dec 25, 2014
78 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I have a Dahon Mu folding bike that I am looking to electrify. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Are there any reliable shops that can do the conversions? Thanks
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38885 posts
3348 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
crassus wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 10:28 am
I have a Dahon Mu folding bike that I am looking to electrify. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Are there any reliable shops that can do the conversions? Thanks
bionx are top notch. I tested one for a good hour.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8113 posts
1389 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You can lose weight by biking, but I suppose one should also change his eating habits (not follow a diet - which does not work).
Also, it may be better to spin in lower gear for cardio than it is to crank in higher gear, you don't lose weight by benching lol

I used to weight 185lbs when I was younger, commuted 30km (round trip) 5 days a week in college and delivered prescriptions for a pharmacy, so I would ride anywhere between 50-70km in a day, lost 30 lbs and I have been stable around 155lbs ever since.
Haven't done any real exercise all winter but I guess my metabolism kept up since I still weight the same and I do not follow a strict diet or anything.
I try to eat a balanced-ish meal at home and always bring my lunch at work but I do have snacks and buy takeout (fast)food 1-2 times a week.

Other important points:
Portion control, I do still weight in my lunch, I'm not counting calories but I make sure that I'm eating a fullfilling/balanced portion of carbs, vegetable and protein, if not, I will be tempted to buy junk food (which is also not cost efficient)
Eat more often/smaller portions and eat before you're hangry, have breakfast if you can or at least some form of healthier snacks in between meal, fruit or cereal bars.
Avoid juice and sugary drinks, stay hydrated and drink often, have a water bottle with you at all times if you must.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3892 posts
420 upvotes
already have a carbon giant, lf a recommendation on a second bike for commuting...few hundred bucks if it's feasible..don't know what to look for in a used one
have had my share of Cambodian Tire and Costco stuff, don't know if those options are still viable haha
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Mar 19, 2007
236 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa
find yourself a 90's Norco/Miele/Peugeot steelie for $300...pretty bulletproof commuter
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1640 posts
164 upvotes
Bent my rim on the ride to work this morning. Didn't crack, but pretty serious dent? I'm guessing I should make a trip with my car to pick it up later.
Rim Bent 2.jpg
Rim Bent.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8113 posts
1389 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Long commute? I will undo the rear brakes and ride slowly home.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38885 posts
3348 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
sixteen12 wrote:
May 1st, 2018 1:09 pm
Bent my rim on the ride to work this morning. Didn't crack, but pretty serious dent? I'm guessing I should make a trip with my car to pick it up later.

Rim Bent 2.jpgRim Bent.jpg
poor guy... is that a masi?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3892 posts
420 upvotes
ottawarc wrote:
May 1st, 2018 9:13 am
find yourself a 90's Norco/Miele/Peugeot steelie for $300...pretty bulletproof commuter
Norco Hybrids any decent? $500 and Al...I can't find any reviews from last few years though

https://www.norco.com/bikes/city/hybrid ... yorkville/

where are entry-level Norco's made in? Taiwan?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1640 posts
164 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 1st, 2018 7:33 pm
poor guy... is that a masi?
It's a Giant frame, and various old road bike parts.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
May 1, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
Need advice on 2 bikes. Wondering if the extra money is worth it.

Rocky mountain RC-10 Performance Tourney/Acera @ 630$
http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/rc/2018

Cannondale Quick 4 Altus/Deore @ 799$
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... 7b7a2eedf2

Using for daily commuter in Montreal. ~ 16km a day.
Both bikes are at different store so A/B compare is a bit tricky. The RC10 seems a tad lighter than the Quick 4.

Or should I just go for a Road bike ?
Dec 27, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Hello guys, I am looking to buy a new budget bicycle for commuting purpose all year around and don’t know anything about where to buy and which model. Any guidance will be appreciated, Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8113 posts
1389 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Personally, I would go for a cyclocross/touring bike, just so you have eyelets for full FENDERS and a rack.

Commuting is so much more enjoyable when you have a pannier and no backpack.