Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2350 posts
316 upvotes
Mississauga
Daijoubu wrote:
May 4th, 2018 11:39 am
Personally, I would go for a cyclocross/touring bike, just so you have eyelets for full FENDERS and a rack.

Commuting is so much more enjoyable when you have a pannier and no backpack.
I completely disagree with you there. It all depends. I hate riding with panniers. Also what do you do when you need to stop by a store and have panniers with you, take them off? Backpack for me is plenty enough.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7955 posts
1314 upvotes
Montreal, QC
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
May 4th, 2018 12:56 pm
I completely disagree with you there. It all depends. I hate riding with panniers. Also what do you do when you need to stop by a store and have panniers with you, take them off? Backpack for me is plenty enough.
You pull on the handle and off it comes, some have a shoulder strap and you can even buy a backpack harness if you really want to ($$)
There are some pannier/backpacks hybrid as well afaik

No extra weight on your butt = happy sit bones and you can carry pretty much whatever you want and won't see much of a difference when riding (unless climbing steep hills)
Usually for my commute..U-Lock, lunch, sometimes my laptop, on longer rides some tools, first aid, clothes.
Packing all this in the backpack would result into some serious weight

And most importantly...your back is free to breath! :)

I usually just use that one single pannier, the other stays home.
I have a set of Ortlieb City, fully waterproof, never going back to a backpack ever (except when hiking that is!)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9987 posts
2454 upvotes
Toronto
i commute an hour each way by bike a few days a week.

Rack mounts on the bike were mandatory when i was bike shopping.

Why?

Because backpacks suck.

I use one, but strap it to my rear rack....it's a 32 litre pack.

Best of both worlds
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2350 posts
316 upvotes
Mississauga
Swerny wrote:
May 4th, 2018 3:36 pm
i commute an hour each way a few days a week.

Backpacks suck.

I use one, but strap it to my rear rack....it's a 32 litre pack.

Best of both worlds
So do I and really prefer a backpack on my back. The one I use is an Osprey Talon22
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3296 posts
429 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
twitchyzero wrote:
May 1st, 2018 2:29 am
already have a carbon giant, lf a recommendation on a second bike for commuting...few hundred bucks if it's feasible..don't know what to look for in a used one
have had my share of Cambodian Tire and Costco stuff, don't know if those options are still viable haha
Costco's selling a Northrock SCR1 for $580. Pretty good value for the price. It's only available in one size though: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... 0-2172372/
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1936 posts
1310 upvotes
Vancouver
I like the convenience of a backpack but hate having it on while riding. It's very uncomfortable. I don't like panniers for commuting either. So I have a milk crate on the back of my bike, and throw my backpack in. Best of both worlds.
Feb 25, 2003
193 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't like panniers, don't like back pack while riding...maybe you need an old MEC Rackpack. Sits and straps down on top of your rear rack, so you don't feel the imbalance like you do when you only have 1 pannier bag attached. Also has straps that can pulled out and can be worn like a backpack. Unfortunately MEC does not make this model anymore, but you can find them used online. I've had mine for years and still going strong.
Feb 10, 2003
820 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
Backpack > pannier

Osprey radial is the greatest commuting backpack of all time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7955 posts
1314 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Lol, drag factor and speed are not my priorities when commuting, confort is.

That's like driving a barebone race car with no interior vs a fully equipped stock car with AC Face With Tears Of Joy

Maybe for some commuting is like a race to them, I still don't understand when I see people on the bike path rush to the red light and slam on their brakes, having to dangerously cut other cyclists and ride in the opposite direction...just to wait at the light, whyyyy?!
In a car it's easy to floor the pedal, you lose gas, wear out your engine and brakes but on a bike.. you're the engine, altogheter not very efficient.

This is the thread for casual cyclists, there's another one for the more performance oriented cyclists among us.

As for imbalance, I really can't tell even fully loaded with a single pannier, except when stopped or walking alongside, doing slow maneuvers.

Having something heavy on top of the rack may not be a good idea, you'll want your center of gravity as low as possible.
Apr 18, 2017
110 posts
19 upvotes
I love my Two Wheel Gear Pannier Convertible Backpack. Can't go back to having a sweaty and sore back!

Any recommendations for a cheap wireless speedometer? I really only need Speed and Time Elasped; don't need cal count, or heart rate or other fancy s**t.

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38315 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote:
May 14th, 2018 5:32 pm

That's like driving a barebone race car with no interior vs a fully equipped stock car with AC Face With Tears Of Joy

Maybe for some commuting is like a race to them, I still don't understand when I see people on the bike path rush to the red light and slam on their brakes, having to dangerously cut other cyclists and ride in the opposite direction...just to wait at the light, whyyyy?!
In a car it's easy to floor the pedal, you lose gas, wear out your engine and brakes but on a bike.. you're the engine, altogheter not very efficient.

This is the thread for casual cyclists, there's another one for the more performance oriented cyclists among us.

As for imbalance, I really can't tell even fully loaded with a single pannier, except when stopped or walking alongside, doing slow maneuvers.

Having something heavy on top of the rack may not be a good idea, you'll want your center of gravity as low as possible.
For me... My bike has to be cute and chic!

:lol:

I got one of these on my norco single speed. It used to be a flat bar single speed road bike. But i swapped out the handles with a mustache shape bars that swoop back. Some front+rear fenders. Its a great commuter. I call it a sleeper bike... B/c it looks cute/cruiser like, but its really a single speed road bike.

Its the WALD front basket. I find it easier just to toss whatever into the front.
Feb 10, 2003
820 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
Daijoubu wrote:
May 14th, 2018 5:32 pm

You never know when your commute will turn into a cat 6 race.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7955 posts
1314 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Strider wrote:
May 16th, 2018 12:16 pm
Hahaha, had to look that up, so THAT's what it's called
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=CAT%206
CAT 6 racing or "hipster racing" refers to commuter cyclists who race one another during their commutes to work. As opposed to CAT 5 roadbike racing, CAT 6 racing starts when a stranger riding a bike tries to pass another cyclist and the other cyclist speeds up rather than let them pass. This creates an impromptu "hipster race."

CAT 6 races are often started by testosterone-pumped mountain bikers trying to pass roadies or roadies who are horrified that a girl on a beat down huffy is pasing them going up hill.
Did you see that **** try to pull a CAT 6 on me? He wouldn't let me pass him on the bridge when I was coming back from lunch.
#cycling#hipster#commuter#fred#cat 5#roadie#roadbike
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38315 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
Strider wrote:
May 16th, 2018 12:16 pm

Daijoubu wrote:
May 16th, 2018 3:02 pm
Hahaha, had to look that up, so THAT's what it's called
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=CAT%206
Ohh!!! Thats my pet peeve... Especially when they pass me , then stay in front @ the exact same speed... Pretty much they're not passing b/c they're faster. They're passing b/c they don't want to follow someone.
But with my mightly sprint.. .I just pass them and keep going as fast as I can. I blow them away so hard they can never catch up... Thats to teach them a lesson.
I know its kind of douchey... But imagine if someone passes you, but doesn't go any faster... they just stay the same speed or slower and end up slowing you down... its like they're just blocking you!
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1783 posts
851 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 21st, 2018 1:59 pm
Ohh!!! Thats my pet peeve... Especially when they pass me , then stay in front @ the exact same speed... Pretty much they're not passing b/c they're faster. They're passing b/c they don't want to follow someone.
But with my mightly sprint.. .I just pass them and keep going as fast as I can. I blow them away so hard they can never catch up... Thats to teach them a lesson.
I know its kind of douchey... But imagine if someone passes you, but doesn't go any faster... they just stay the same speed or slower and end up slowing you down... its like they're just blocking you!

LOL...

I rather draft behind someone and let the guy in front do all the work then be in the lead! There's no prize money for getting to the stop light first.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!