[OFFICIAL] Cycling thread for commuters and the casual enthusiast

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 9:21 am
Tags:
Mar 21, 2012
71 posts
35 upvotes
MARKHAM
Was cycling home from work today and ended up in a collision with a car... Pretty shaken right now, it was a close call between life and death. Really did not expect to get hit given how short my commute is (<10KM, minimal traffic and mostly on residential roads) but accidents can happen anytime. Was too naive to bring my phone during my commute, I just left it at home everyday. Didn't even take a pen and paper with me. Still in shock about what happened and just wanted to post this.

I was cycling near the curb straight down a 60 km/h industrial area four lane road with minimal traffic in the morning and a driver from the opposite direction is signalling a left turn to a side street, no traffic lights. I continue on as I'm sure he saw me with my bright red t-shirt, and then all of a sudden he goes for the turn, meaning he either did not see me or he is gunning for it. I full on crash into his passenger door with no reaction time to dodge him and dent it pretty bad, and my handlebar is bent sideways from my front wheel. Miraculously I come out uninjured, I imagine it could have been deadly if I went a bit faster or didn't brake. Thankfully the driver stopped and got out, asked if I was okay, and kept saying he has to go to work and wanted to know where I was going. I asked for his number but without my phone or anything to write it down I tried to memorize it; and forgot to ask for his name or even get the make/model/plate number in the process. The whole thing was futile without my phone, he could be lying about his number for all I know (or I might memorize it wrong). No doubt I am probably getting no compensation for my bike with just a phone number. Really grateful I had my helmet on even if there was no impact; don't want to imagine what would happen if I fell during the collision.

I'm seriously now thinking of getting a cycling camera to protect myself.

I'm just happy I am alive without injuries, and am reminding others to keep your phone with you wherever you go no matter how short the ride is. Never forget in the event of a collision, take photos, get a witness's number, driver's name, number, license and insurance policy number, and if you are injured, call 911.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1968 posts
54 upvotes
Wow! Glad you're okay! I will be putting a pen and some paper into my backpack so I'll be prepared just in case.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2350 posts
316 upvotes
Mississauga
Same thing happened to me last year. The driver said I was going too fast. Lots of witnesses around at that time so I took down ppls numbers and contact info. Everyone was very helpful, other than the driver. Went through insurance for the damages to my bike. I got cracked helmet and road rush.
Feb 10, 2003
820 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 21st, 2018 1:59 pm
Ohh!!! Thats my pet peeve... Especially when they pass me , then stay in front @ the exact same speed... Pretty much they're not passing b/c they're faster. They're passing b/c they don't want to follow someone.
But with my mightly sprint.. .I just pass them and keep going as fast as I can. I blow them away so hard they can never catch up... Thats to teach them a lesson.
I know its kind of douchey... But imagine if someone passes you, but doesn't go any faster... they just stay the same speed or slower and end up slowing you down... its like they're just blocking you!
Do they do it after following you for a while? They probably figure they're taking their turn pulling instead of being an inconsiderate drafter.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38315 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
Strider wrote:
May 29th, 2018 2:54 pm
Do they do it after following you for a while? They probably figure they're taking their turn pulling instead of being an inconsiderate drafter.
Sooo meth head guy with beat up mountain bike with 5 ear ring chains hanging off his nose was really following racing cyclist techniques?!?

You mean he was actually helping? Im such a dick... i should never judge a book by its cover :(
Feb 10, 2003
820 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 29th, 2018 5:41 pm
Sooo meth head guy with beat up mountain bike with 5 ear ring chains hanging off his nose was really following racing cyclist techniques?!?

You mean he was actually helping? Im such a dick... i should never judge a book by its cover :(
Lol, sometimes it gets hard to tell the difference between meth heads and hipsters these days. If you've ever browsed some of the cycling subreddits, apparently some people can get pretty hurt feelings over people drafting off them without returning the favor... so it's not reserved for racers.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7674 posts
1255 upvotes
Ontario
Been riding enough to know I want a dedicated GPS computer. My current setup is the cheapest CatEye and then a clunky mount for my phone, used for GPS. I’d like to get a unit that doesn’t depend on my phone for GPS, but still connects to it via Bluetooth to let me know of incoming calls etc.

I believe Elemnt Bolt and the unit from Lezyne are the more cost effective options, any input on these? The Bolt simply looks like a breeze to use. It seems the only drawback from reviews is that the navigation is some ugly B+W, but I don’t really care for color maps (just having a general sense of direction, contrast may even be better in bright days)

Any input? Different recommendations?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5175 posts
1992 upvotes
I finally got around to biking to work today, I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the drop bars - I find it harder to apply brakes quickly in emergency situations and access the bell as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7955 posts
1314 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Install some in-line/cross brake/top levers then, you'll have the option to use both riding position and have access to their respective brake levers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38315 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
Strider wrote:
May 29th, 2018 7:10 pm
Lol, sometimes it gets hard to tell the difference between meth heads and hipsters these days. If you've ever browsed some of the cycling subreddits, apparently some people can get pretty hurt feelings over people drafting off them without returning the favor... so it's not reserved for racers.
I get the concept of drafting. I know its a technique that is used in auto racing , cycling, etc etc...
But when it comes to racing (especially elite performance competition) every second, even millisecond counts.
Scientifically speaking... Would drafting make a big difference for city commuters who do maybe max 20km/hr in city traffic?

I just need to get to work, or the store... nothing spectacular.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38315 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
flightsimmer wrote:
May 25th, 2018 11:03 am
Was cycling home from work today and ended up in a collision with a car... Pretty shaken right now, it was a close call between life and death. Really did not expect to get hit given how short my commute is (<10KM, minimal traffic and mostly on residential roads) but accidents can happen anytime. Was too naive to bring my phone during my commute, I just left it at home everyday. Didn't even take a pen and paper with me. Still in shock about what happened and just wanted to post this.

I was cycling near the curb straight down a 60 km/h industrial area four lane road with minimal traffic in the morning and a driver from the opposite direction is signalling a left turn to a side street, no traffic lights. I continue on as I'm sure he saw me with my bright red t-shirt, and then all of a sudden he goes for the turn, meaning he either did not see me or he is gunning for it. I full on crash into his passenger door with no reaction time to dodge him and dent it pretty bad, and my handlebar is bent sideways from my front wheel. Miraculously I come out uninjured, I imagine it could have been deadly if I went a bit faster or didn't brake. Thankfully the driver stopped and got out, asked if I was okay, and kept saying he has to go to work and wanted to know where I was going. I asked for his number but without my phone or anything to write it down I tried to memorize it; and forgot to ask for his name or even get the make/model/plate number in the process. The whole thing was futile without my phone, he could be lying about his number for all I know (or I might memorize it wrong). No doubt I am probably getting no compensation for my bike with just a phone number. Really grateful I had my helmet on even if there was no impact; don't want to imagine what would happen if I fell during the collision.

I'm just happy I am alive without injuries, and am reminding others to keep your phone with you wherever you go no matter how short the ride is. Never forget in the event of a collision, take photos, get a witness's number, driver's name, number, license and insurance policy number, and if you are injured, call 911.
damn bro. hope you're okay.
You got LED's? Get some LEd's!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4281 posts
287 upvotes
flightsimmer wrote:
May 25th, 2018 11:03 am

Glad your okay! Though, you should be careful. Do not assume drivers see you as most of them care about themselves! Car>you, all the time. Dont be in compromising positions.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14898 posts
2673 upvotes
Toronto
Glad you're OK, but it's BIG mistake to assume just because you have a bright shirt, a driver will see you.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38315 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 1:50 pm
Glad you're OK, but it's BIG mistake to assume just because you have a bright shirt, a driver will see you.
Yah. LED's are soooo cheap now. I saw this set @ dollarama I think it as $3... get two sets. 1 as a back up... You get a blinking white and blinking red for the back.

Sometimes for random bikes I bump across that aren't setup with LED's... I just have this quick LED arm band.
Its not ideal... But even just this alone will get you noticed at night.