[OFFICIAL] Cycling thread for commuters and the casual enthusiast

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2018 5:14 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2046 posts
393 upvotes
Would there be any interest in a RFD group ride along some trails?
Mar 21, 2012
81 posts
45 upvotes
MARKHAM
Thanks everyone, it was sunny when the collision happened but I am definitely riding more defensively. I bought a reflective vest to increase visibility.
As for the LED's, yes I do have lights on the front and back of my bike when it's dark out, but I didn't bother putting them on while it was bright outside. Do you guys put them on a sunny afternoon?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39023 posts
3423 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
flightsimmer wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 6:08 pm
Thanks everyone, it was sunny when the collision happened but I am definitely riding more defensively. I bought a reflective vest to increase visibility.
As for the LED's, yes I do have lights on the front and back of my bike when it's dark out, but I didn't bother putting them on while it was bright outside. Do you guys put them on a sunny afternoon?
Woah!!!! I assumed this was at night.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2772 posts
2277 upvotes
Vancouver
flightsimmer wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 6:08 pm
Yes absolutely. Front light on at all times, flashing in the daytime and steady at night. Be seen and stay alive.
Feb 5, 2017
40 posts
18 upvotes
So my usual commuter bike is broke after years of abuse (rode about 2000 km this year alone). It is an old steel bike so not looking to get it fixed. Looking for a new commuter bike.

Curious what you guys think of a cheap bike like the Nakamura Royal which sells for $240 vs buying the most basic trek for $200 more. Will I get more out of it?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... olor%5D=99

https://shop.bushtukah.com/product/trek-fx-272647-1.htm
Jun 18, 2018
19 posts
9 upvotes
Started cycling partially because of my wife, she got obsessed with it, i found it stupid but decided to give it a try. Then i got injured doing other activities so had to take a forced "sabbatical" from riding just when i was about to get started as i'd trained preemptively with spin classes all winter.

Since then i bought a used trainer, and used it sparingly. Finally bought my own hybrid on sale in Feb this year; still wasn't doing much training until April when i signed up for ride for heart, 75k. Kinda forced me into starting to commute to work (25k each way) a few times a week. I'm enjoying it and losing some weight. Haven't done group rides yet, just some rides here and there with some of my more serious cyclist friends, so much to learn from them!

My goal this year is to be able to commute everyday on the bicycle without dying , I'm getting there and the 75k increased my confidence to be able to do that, but it's a slow process. See you all on the trails :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39023 posts
3423 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Zephyr22b wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:56 pm
Would there be any interest in a RFD group ride along some trails?
i would be interested. Is it a speed racer ride? Because I just like cruising.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1234 posts
48 upvotes
Keswick
Hi all,
Been riding a Crappy tire bike the past while. Though served its purpose, its time for an upgrade.
I want to get into trail riding more and I live near some good Mountain bike tracks. Plus some street riding. Not a big fan of the HYBRID bikes.

Went to Sport Chek first.
Looking at their GT bikes.

I really like the GT Avalanche.. Was on sale on the weekend for 599.99 from 799.99.
Now back to 799.99
I spoke to them today and said they would honor 599.99 for this week.
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... olor%5D=99

Went to a local shop in Newmarket.
They have a lot of fancy bikes
I looked at 3 in the same price range.
Norco Storm 3 Hydro 629.99
Cannodale Trail 5 - 755.99
Cannodale Catayst 685.99

All bikes are on 29 tires since I need an XL frame.

Any idea how to narrow down my search? I don't know much about bikes.
I wanted Hydraulic brakes so these are all the Mid range options.

Thanks!!
Oct 5, 2007
296 posts
347 upvotes
Ancaster
I know the avalanche sport was on for $599 but i didnt hear about the comp at that price ( you linked the comp which has better components). even so, the sport has better components than the other bikes you listed. I'd say sit on and ride down the aisle bounce on the shock a little, and if you are comfortable and like it get it, because its probably the best value you will find.

I wanted the same bike but mainly for street and light trail but found the riding position too aggressive/uncomfortable.

some people didnt like the fork lockout on/off mechanism, so if thats important def try it out
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1234 posts
48 upvotes
Keswick
foggydayz wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 8:46 am
I know the avalanche sport was on for $599 but i didnt hear about the comp at that price ( you linked the comp which has better components). even so, the sport has better components than the other bikes you listed. I'd say sit on and ride down the aisle bounce on the shock a little, and if you are comfortable and like it get it, because its probably the best value you will find.

I wanted the same bike but mainly for street and light trail but found the riding position too aggressive/uncomfortable.

some people didnt like the fork lockout on/off mechanism, so if thats important def try it out
Thanks! if you don't mind me asking which bike did you go with?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1234 posts
48 upvotes
Keswick
I talked to a local bikestore and said they cant match the specs of the GT Avalanche Comp 29 Men's Mountain Bike 2018 for anywhere near that price.

According to the Rep.. I can get the COMP for 560!! plus taxes... much better than 799.99.
Feb 10, 2003
835 posts
222 upvotes
Calgary
sqrlz wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 8:29 am
Hey just posted in the main Sports forum asking if anyone knew of this Apollo Exceed 20 bike for around 700 CAD that I'm thinking of buying at a local bike shop. If anyone has any knowledge of this bike or company much would be appreciated.
https://www.apollobikes.com/bikes/women ... -ws/detail
No experience with that bike or brand, but there isn't significant enough savings to steer me away from a comparable bike from a major brand (like Cannondale Quick or Trek FX).
Sporting life has no HST on adult bikes this weekend so if you're in Ontario, this looks like a better option for the same amount https://www.sportinglife.ca/p/24837551/ ... -bike-2018
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1829 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sit in them, feel how they shift and if the shifters and brake levers work for you. Since you're getting hydro brakes, can the levers be moved inwards for a single finger braking setup without interfering with the shifters etc. At this price point there is nothing really special about these bikes, and you won't even know if you want the little differences without more experience riding; having the bike properly fit you is far more important. The trail 5 for example is a 10 speed with a single gear up front and 10 at the back; some one more experienced might prefer this over the 3x9 gear 27 speed GT because it's lighter and there is no right hand shifter to mess around with. Some one who is new to riding might struggle without a large gearing range to stay in their optimal cadence. Look at the brake discs, do they look like they're made of high quality steel and can handle ceramic or metallic pads or are they soft and marked with writing that says resin only? Look at the brake handles, do they have an easy to access fluid reservoir that can be made facing up so that you can burp the system if air gets in?

There are little things you can only learn from experience; if you're going to be upgrading parts in the future for example then you would need to know how easy it is to find parts that will fit the bike. The fork is one major component that can really benefit from an upgrade; steel coil forks are very heavy and you have little control over what they do. Changing to an air fork will take pounds off the weight of the bike and will give you much more adjustability. If you're going to be doing stuff like that then you need to be aware of things like tapered headsets and boost spacing which some of these bikes have.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)