[OFFICIAL] Cycling thread for commuters and the casual enthusiast

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 9:21 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2000 posts
303 upvotes
Would there be any interest in a RFD group ride along some trails?
Mar 21, 2012
71 posts
35 upvotes
MARKHAM
Thanks everyone, it was sunny when the collision happened but I am definitely riding more defensively. I bought a reflective vest to increase visibility.
As for the LED's, yes I do have lights on the front and back of my bike when it's dark out, but I didn't bother putting them on while it was bright outside. Do you guys put them on a sunny afternoon?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38315 posts
3106 upvotes
Toronto
flightsimmer wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 6:08 pm
Thanks everyone, it was sunny when the collision happened but I am definitely riding more defensively. I bought a reflective vest to increase visibility.
As for the LED's, yes I do have lights on the front and back of my bike when it's dark out, but I didn't bother putting them on while it was bright outside. Do you guys put them on a sunny afternoon?
Woah!!!! I assumed this was at night.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1936 posts
1310 upvotes
Vancouver
flightsimmer wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 6:08 pm
Yes absolutely. Front light on at all times, flashing in the daytime and steady at night. Be seen and stay alive.
Feb 5, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
So my usual commuter bike is broke after years of abuse (rode about 2000 km this year alone). It is an old steel bike so not looking to get it fixed. Looking for a new commuter bike.

Curious what you guys think of a cheap bike like the Nakamura Royal which sells for $240 vs buying the most basic trek for $200 more. Will I get more out of it?

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... olor%5D=99

https://shop.bushtukah.com/product/trek-fx-272647-1.htm
Jun 18, 2018
4 posts
Started cycling partially because of my wife, she got obsessed with it, i found it stupid but decided to give it a try. Then i got injured doing other activities so had to take a forced "sabbatical" from riding just when i was about to get started as i'd trained preemptively with spin classes all winter.

Since then i bought a used trainer, and used it sparingly. Finally bought my own hybrid on sale in Feb this year; still wasn't doing much training until April when i signed up for ride for heart, 75k. Kinda forced me into starting to commute to work (25k each way) a few times a week. I'm enjoying it and losing some weight. Haven't done group rides yet, just some rides here and there with some of my more serious cyclist friends, so much to learn from them!

My goal this year is to be able to commute everyday on the bicycle without dying , I'm getting there and the 75k increased my confidence to be able to do that, but it's a slow process. See you all on the trails :)