• Dec 13th, 2018 9:19 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2089 posts
472 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 11:19 pm
i would be interested. Is it a speed racer ride? Because I just like cruising.
Nah, just casual ride to enjoy the sights... Like Tommy Thompson Park at the foot of Leslie St?
Oct 5, 2007
296 posts
347 upvotes
Ancaster
speeeeee wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 9:04 am
Thanks! if you don't mind me asking which bike did you go with?
Im still looking :(
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11538 posts
2355 upvotes
Ottawa
sqrlz wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 8:29 am
Hey just posted in the main Sports forum asking if anyone knew of this Apollo Exceed 20 bike for around 700 CAD that I'm thinking of buying at a local bike shop. If anyone has any knowledge of this bike or company much would be appreciated.

https://www.apollobikes.com/bikes/women ... -ws/detail

Strider wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 11:42 am

No experience with that bike or brand, but there isn't significant enough savings to steer me away from a comparable bike from a major brand (like Cannondale Quick or Trek FX).
Sporting life has no HST on adult bikes this weekend so if you're in Ontario, this looks like a better option for the same amount https://www.sportinglife.ca/p/24837551/ ... -bike-2018
My local bike store in Ottawa sells the brand. I looked at them and test rode one and they seem fine, but nothing stood out about them either. Apollo is an Australian brand.

I agree with Strider, my wife has a Trek FX 7.4 from two years ago, and paid about the same price (less than $700) before taxes, and that Cannondale at Sporting Life would be a comparable or better buy for about the same price, so there's no jump to "jump" on the Apollo bike unless they threw in some extra incentives. Trek and Cannondale are much more prevalent brands with good warranties, so my preference would be to go with them all other things being equal.
Aug 15, 2006
15 posts
13 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 28th, 2018 8:11 pm
My local bike store in Ottawa sells the brand. I looked at them and test rode one and they seem fine, but nothing stood out about them either. Apollo is an Australian brand.

I agree with Strider, my wife has a Trek FX 7.4 from two years ago, and paid about the same price (less than $700) before taxes, and that Cannondale at Sporting Life would be a comparable or better buy for about the same price, so there's no jump to "jump" on the Apollo bike unless they threw in some extra incentives. Trek and Cannondale are much more prevalent brands with good warranties, so my preference would be to go with them all other things being equal.
Ah, thanks for the replies guys, yea this Apollo drew us in at this price point with carbon forks and the lightweight of the bike. We tried Giant Escape 2($600), Liv Alight 2($600), Trek FX 3($830), Kona Dew Plus ($720). The Trek would've been great but it was more expensive. These were in our price range but were heavier when lifted. (I hate how weights aren't posted for every bike brand). So we even tried more roady styled bikes that were lighter like Liv Thrive 2 and Devinci Hex Claris, but those were around $1000.

This Cannondale is interesting with carbon forks and 9 vs 8 speed with Deore vs Acera rear derailleur, I didn't realize no tax days for bikes are a thing! I makes a pretty big difference.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11538 posts
2355 upvotes
Ottawa
sqrlz wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 10:01 am
This Cannondale is interesting with carbon forks and 9 vs 8 speed with Deore vs Acera rear derailleur, I didn't realize no tax days for bikes are a thing! I makes a pretty big difference.
A Cannondale would be a lot easier to resell if you get an upgrade bug.....Apollo is not a well known brand at all here. I don't ever remember seeing one recently.

No tax sale is pretty good, most dealers are still trying to sell bikes at full price through to end of July.
Aug 26, 2004
707 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
Any recommendations for places that do tune-ups and fixes?
Somebody that will do a decent job at a non-inflated price (we buy our bikes used and the prices that the local bike shops charge are more than the bikes cost us)
We live in Richmond Hill, Just North of Toronto.

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39408 posts
3598 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Alexo wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 6:28 pm
Somebody that will do a decent job at a non-inflated price (we buy our bikes used and the prices that the local bike shops charge are more than the bikes cost us)

Thanks!
Its actually pretty normal for a bike tune up to cost about as much as an old bike.
It'll cost you about $80 for a decent tune up.
Theres $30 tune ups.. .but all they do is fill up your air, grease the parts, and maybe tighten a few things.
You really do get what you pay for. Its a bit of a reality check when someone brings in their old $100 walmart special thats been rusting away in the garage... and discover a good tuneup and work to get it in shape will cost them $100 ...
But really.. .wHat can you expect? Minimum wage is $14/hour right now.. and these guys actually have some skill and know how on bikes...

You can try DIY. Tell us what is wrong with your bikes and we can point you in the right direction.
Aug 26, 2004
707 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:11 pm
It'll cost you about $80 for a decent tune up.
What does a "decent tune up" include?

UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:11 pm
You can try DIY. Tell us what is wrong with your bikes and we can point you in the right direction.
OK, but unfortunately I am not very handy.

I got this Trek 320 (used):

It rides OK, but there are some minor issues:

1. The left brake handle -- the black part you hold when riding in a more upright position is turned a little inward, making the grip feel a bit awkward. I tried pulling it but didn't want to apply too much force for fear of damaging the shifters.

2. The shifting is not very precise. Sometimes nudging the lever fails to shift, then another nudge shifts two gears. Sometimes it sounds like the chain is grinding, other times (on the same gear) it sounds OK.

3. The ratchet sound is quite loud when I don't move the pedals (or move them backward) compared to my old bike (Peugeot PB14). Maybe it's supposed to be like that.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10613 posts
3432 upvotes
Toronto
Alexo wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks!
cheapest i can think of is Sportchek, but then it really depends on who is doing the tune up. Starting at $45

https://www.sportchek.ca/content/sportc ... -shop.html

Or check Groupon?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8339 posts
1491 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I would visit a local bike coop where they provide you bike stands and tools, pay the small membership fee and learn from the volunteers on how to DIY.

To move the brake levers, press down on the lever, inside you'll find a hex bolt, loosen it up and you can rotate it

To fix indexed shifting, first try the barrel adjuster if you have them (either inline with the cable and/or at the derailleur), simply unscrew a turn at a time, if that doesn't work, screw them back in then proceed to adjust cable tension:

"Drop" to the highest/smallest gear in the rear (usually, the gear in which there's no tension on the cable, some shifters are the opposite) and set the front to the middle.
Loosen the bolt holding the cable for the rear derailler, remove any slack by pulling slightly on the cable and retighten the bolt

Repeat for the same for the front (middle in the ear, and smallest gear in the front), remove slack and retighten the bolt holding the cable

For much more in dept adjustments:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... adjustment

Ratchet sound, not much you can do about it without special tools, it's possible to add more grease but that involves taking apart the freehub to access the pawls.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... ub-service
Sep 20, 2003
343 posts
80 upvotes
Burnaby
take the bike to the shop and get an estimate and fix list. then use the internet to figure out how to fix it yourself.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39408 posts
3598 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Daijoubu wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 12:13 pm
I would visit a local bike coop where they provide you bike stands and tools, pay the small membership fee and learn from the volunteers on how to DIY.

To move the brake levers, press down on the lever, inside you'll find a hex bolt, loosen it up and you can rotate it

To fix indexed shifting, first try the barrel adjuster if you have them (either inline with the cable and/or at the derailleur), simply unscrew a turn at a time, if that doesn't work, screw them back in then proceed to adjust cable tension:

"Drop" to the highest/smallest gear in the rear (usually, the gear in which there's no tension on the cable, some shifters are the opposite) and set the front to the middle.
Loosen the bolt holding the cable for the rear derailler, remove any slack by pulling slightly on the cable and retighten the bolt

Repeat for the same for the front (middle in the ear, and smallest gear in the front), remove slack and retighten the bolt holding the cable

For much more in dept adjustments:

Ratchet sound, not much you can do about it without special tools, it's possible to add more grease but that involves taking apart the freehub to access the pawls.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... ub-service
You can adjust the brake lever position by pressing the brake lever down.
Then look inside. There should be bolt inside there you can loosen. Now you can adjust the angle pf it and toghten the same way
Feb 14, 2004
998 posts
102 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
http://www.kbbicycleshop.com

Midland and Steele, I paid $30 tune up , because my rear derailur was not working. He replaced the shifting cable and index the rear derailleur, oil the parts and tighten a few things.
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8360 upvotes
GTHA
Anyone going to this free event?