Sports & Recreation

[OFFICIAL] Cycling thread for commuters and the casual enthusiast

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2018 9:19 am
Tags:
Jan 5, 2017
211 posts
65 upvotes
Looking at getting a cruiser bike with some wide tires. Not looking to break the bank as I'll just be out with my kids and possibly shaking the rust off any late nights.
Would rather have pedal brakes as opposed to any type of hand brake.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1850 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LtLollipop wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 3:41 pm
Looking at getting a cruiser bike with some wide tires. Not looking to break the bank as I'll just be out with my kids and possibly shaking the rust off any late nights.
Would rather have pedal brakes as opposed to any type of hand brake.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I was going to say the ikea sladda, but then I found out it's been fully recalled due to belts failing causing people to fall. Then I wondered how would a failing drive belt cause people to fall and I remembered the stupid pedal brakes which would no doubt lock up or not work at all when the chain/belt fails.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5385 posts
2365 upvotes
So I have decided to sell my drop-bar bike (haven't really been happy with it) and buy a flat-bar bike.

Anyone suggest places to sell my bike (outside of kijiij/craigslist/RFD)?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3537 posts
1135 upvotes
AB
smehmood wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 12:48 pm
Looking for a pump for my new bike. How is this one? Chrono Tour Pro Floor Pump - https://www.costco.ca/Chrono-Tour-Pro-F ... 97967.html
Any other recommendation?
Thanks
I got this one last month it was 50% off, so $19.98: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... 02033.html
Used it twice, and so far had no issues, works well.
Feb 14, 2004
998 posts
102 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
hey fellow commuters in the GTA area, when do you usually stop commuting with your bike?

My daily commute is 30km, round trip (north york to yonge/bloor via Leaside Spur and Don trail), and this is the first year I have been commuting with my bike exclusively (except rainy days).

I really want to commute on my Costco Northrock for as long as I can, but I think early Nov is prob the last month.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39408 posts
3598 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
pcboy wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 1:39 pm
hey fellow commuters in the GTA area, when do you usually stop commuting with your bike?

My daily commute is 30km, round trip (north york to yonge/bloor via Leaside Spur and Don trail), and this is the first year I have been commuting with my bike exclusively (except rainy days).

I really want to commute on my Costco Northrock for as long as I can, but I think early Nov is prob the last month.
Are you ... in Toronto? The roads here get cleaned up so fast and salted really well. So you could ride your bike in the winter (just not during snow falls).
Warmth tips.

-long johns. Theres a 'cooler' version thats like black breathable material and really thin... You can get them @ walmart for $15ish, real cheap. Breathable yet warm. Keeps your legs warm.
-Ski mask I find is a MUST.
-Boots
-Gloves
-Jacket type.. .Gortex windbreaker style. Wind and wetness is your enemy here.
Feb 14, 2004
998 posts
102 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I only ride on the trails (Leaside + Don Mill + Don Trail), and I don't think they clean them during the winter.
UrbanPoet wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 1:46 pm
Are you ... in Toronto? The roads here get cleaned up so fast and salted really well. So you could ride your bike in the winter (just not during snow falls).
Warmth tips.

-long johns. Theres a 'cooler' version thats like black breathable material and really thin... You can get them @ walmart for $15ish, real cheap. Breathable yet warm. Keeps your legs warm.
-Ski mask I find is a MUST.
-Boots
-Gloves
-Jacket type.. .Gortex windbreaker style. Wind and wetness is your enemy here.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39408 posts
3598 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
smehmood wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 3:35 pm
Do you mean ski goggles?
Ski mask bc your face gets cold. Wind is 2 x the coldness. That wind chill gets ya!

My eyes don’t water or irritate from cold wind. But if you find that a problem, ski googles can be used.
Feb 10, 2003
838 posts
226 upvotes
Calgary
pcboy wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 1:39 pm
Calgary commuter checking in.
Temperature isn't really a big deal until -10 or so as long as you have a good windproof shell, gloves, earmuffs or balaclava, and a couple layers.
You'll probably die on road bike tires once any snow/slush sticks on the ground though. My Northrock is already relegated to indoor trainer duty and studded tire winter beater is out... but we've had 50cm of snowfall already this month.
Feb 14, 2004
998 posts
102 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I have a single speed road bike that gave clearance up to 700 x 32 to 35, do u think I can convert it to a winter beater?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
451 upvotes
Mississauga
smehmood wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 5:32 pm
How are these bike lights at 40% off price? Anyone has any experience or recommend any other light? Thanks
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332268 ... =332268578

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/330967 ... =330967856
Buy it, try it, dont like it, return it.

I put all my trust in Bontrager and Cygolite lights. I have both on my commuter and road bike.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)