None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
1037 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

Official Dog Grooming & Groomer Recommendations Thread

I see a lot of questions about dog grooming and thought it'd be useful to post all the questions here and hopefully myself or other dog owners will be able to answer your questions here.

Also if you have any recommendation for groomers in the GTA area, feel free to give a quick review here too.

PetsMart (Woodbine and Hwy 7)
- Decent prices
- Quality of service varies because of the different groomers they have
- The area they have for grooming seems to be very limited and they put the dogs in cages after they're done grooming
- Probably will not bring my dog back

A Touch of Love (McCowan and Hwy 7)
- The groomer there is friendly and can be very accommodating
- The place is nice and clean and the service is pretty good
- Pricing wise, the first time it was very good but the second time I brought my dog back they charged me more and never been back since
- The dogs can walk/lay after they're done

Groom n Style (Markham Rd and Hwy 7)
- Brought my dog(Yorkie) there yesterday
- It was around $53~ for a full grooming service
- Out of all the places, this place gave him the best cut
- No cages as well, pets were free to walk around
- Extremely friendly staff, I believe there are two groomers that work there
- Will probably be the place I'll bring my dog to from now on
61 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
Vanity Fur Pet Spa & Boutique in Lorne Park (Clarkson), Mississauga

I take my mini schnauzer there (a breed which needs lots of grooming) and love it. The staff are great, price is about $60, my dog is always happy when he arrives and happy when he leaves :)
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1098 posts
37 upvotes
For small toy dog breeds, I recommend Puppy Chappy at Yonge and Finch. They are owned by Koreans and they give the cutest cuts. Heck, they even cut my cat and do a great job.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4550 posts
253 upvotes
taylyn wrote:
Jun 17th, 2010 3:43 pm
Vanity Fur Pet Spa & Boutique in Lorne Park (Clarkson), Mississauga

I take my mini schnauzer there (a breed which needs lots of grooming) and love it. The staff are great, price is about $60, my dog is always happy when he arrives and happy when he leaves :)
It took me ages to find a good groomer who actually knew how to groom my Mini Schnauzer properly. During this search for a good groomer, he once came back from a gromming stuido smelling like an ashtray. Another time I brought him to Petsmart and told them to groom him like a Schnzauzer and that I did NOT want them to cut his eyebrows or beard short....well lo and behold they cut his eyebrows off which pissed me off big time because it takes so long to grow them to his full length :o

Recently he was staying with my foks in Collingwood and he needed a groom so my mom found someone up there. It was his worst groom ever! I even gave her a photo to show the new groomer what I wanted and sent specific instructions to NOT cut his eyebrows or beard short. Ugh, my mom almost cried when she picked him up...he came back looking like a meercat. After bringing him home, my mother called the groomer back to again voice her displeasure and the groomer said she was "offended" and that she has her "own" version of a Schnazuer groom that she uses. I know there are bigger things to worry about in life, but hey--if I'm paying for a service and I make a specific request, then please groom the dog in that manner. I was simply asking for my schnazuer to be groomed like a schnauzer. Its not as if I walked in with a German Shepherd and asked for it to be groomed like a poodle, lol.

The groomer I use now is It's Furry Life in Woodbridge (Hwy 7 and Kipling). Not very close to where I live now but worth the trip over because so far they've given him proper grooms. And he loves it there! IIRC they only groom small breeds.

If you have a breed that requires a specific style, and you WANT that style of cut, it may be hard to find a groomer that grooms to the breed standard (or comes pretty close). So if you find a good groomer, please post here!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2816 posts
440 upvotes
Aurora, ON
When I got my first mini schnauzer years ago I had a neighbour who was a groomer. I asked her to show me how to do it and she walked me through it. Ever since I've done my own. They may not be perfect but they do look like schnauzers..and if I make a mistake here and there..they don't complain :)
Once a family friend asked me to clip his dog (breed was a *something*poo) and I did. Funny though..the little mutt looked very much like a schnauzer when I was done :lol:
The money I've invested in a table, clippers, scissors etc has been recovered many times when you consider what you pay per visit, every 5 to 7 weeks times 2 dogs. Here is a web site for schnauzers owners if you are interested in giving it a try.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1772 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Question: Has anyone ever heard or or have reviews of Just 4 Pooches Grooming in Markham? I had one of the groomers approach me at Barkham and they quoted a pretty good price for my dog. My dog's just a long-coat chihuahua mix and there's no real specific grooming requirements.

I also see a posting of theirs on kijiji
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-animal- ... Z211549233

Good? Bad? Sketchy?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9885 posts
912 upvotes
Any good groomers in Etobicoke that will shave a cat?

Out of the three near me only one does cats and they sucked.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2004
1715 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
amz155 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 7:52 am
It took me ages to find a good groomer who actually knew how to groom my Mini Schnauzer properly. During this search for a good groomer, he once came back from a gromming stuido smelling like an ashtray. Another time I brought him to Petsmart and told them to groom him like a Schnzauzer and that I did NOT want them to cut his eyebrows or beard short....well lo and behold they cut his eyebrows off which pissed me off big time because it takes so long to grow them to his full length :o

Recently he was staying with my foks in Collingwood and he needed a groom so my mom found someone up there. It was his worst groom ever! I even gave her a photo to show the new groomer what I wanted and sent specific instructions to NOT cut his eyebrows or beard short. Ugh, my mom almost cried when she picked him up...he came back looking like a meercat. After bringing him home, my mother called the groomer back to again voice her displeasure and the groomer said she was "offended" and that she has her "own" version of a Schnazuer groom that she uses. I know there are bigger things to worry about in life, but hey--if I'm paying for a service and I make a specific request, then please groom the dog in that manner. I was simply asking for my schnazuer to be groomed like a schnauzer. Its not as if I walked in with a German Shepherd and asked for it to be groomed like a poodle, lol.

The groomer I use now is It's Furry Life in Woodbridge (Hwy 7 and Kipling). Not very close to where I live now but worth the trip over because so far they've given him proper grooms. And he loves it there! IIRC they only groom small breeds.

If you have a breed that requires a specific style, and you WANT that style of cut, it may be hard to find a groomer that grooms to the breed standard (or comes pretty close). So if you find a good groomer, please post here!
Its funny just how many "groomers" who don't know how to groom a schnauzer properly....I cry every time I see it groomed horribly. Most people don't realize the mini groom is one of the easiest to do!

Where do you live? I do know a few decent groomers in the Richmond Hill & Markham area if you ever decide to try someone closer to home.
jackie999 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 11:35 am
When I got my first mini schnauzer years ago I had a neighbour who was a groomer. I asked her to show me how to do it and she walked me through it. Ever since I've done my own. They may not be perfect but they do look like schnauzers..and if I make a mistake here and there..they don't complain :)
Once a family friend asked me to clip his dog (breed was a *something*poo) and I did. Funny though..the little mutt looked very much like a schnauzer when I was done :lol:
The money I've invested in a table, clippers, scissors etc has been recovered many times when you consider what you pay per visit, every 5 to 7 weeks times 2 dogs. Here is a web site for schnauzers owners if you are interested in giving it a try.
Here is a easy to follow how-to-groom for mini's that I've referred numerous times to:
http://miniatureschnauzer.ca/grooming.htm

Here is the finished result, if you follow their guide:
So glad there are other mini owners posting here :D
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2004
1715 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
rockthecasbah wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 12:33 pm
Question: Has anyone ever heard or or have reviews of Just 4 Pooches Grooming in Markham? I had one of the groomers approach me at Barkham and they quoted a pretty good price for my dog. My dog's just a long-coat chihuahua mix and there's no real specific grooming requirements.

Good? Bad? Sketchy?
wow scrolling through the photos of the various groomed dogs...and I was not impressed!

take for example the bichon frise, it was horribly done...the head was humongous compared to the body! it wasn't balanced.

the other dogs, they looked choppy and not a good finish
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4550 posts
253 upvotes
1V4N wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 6:44 pm
Its funny just how many "groomers" who don't know how to groom a schnauzer properly....I cry every time I see it groomed horribly. Most people don't realize the mini groom is one of the easiest to do!

Where do you live? I do know a few decent groomers in the Richmond Hill & Markham area if you ever decide to try someone closer to home.

Here is a easy to follow how-to-groom for mini's that I've referred numerous times to:
http://miniatureschnauzer.ca/grooming.htm

Here is the finished result, if you follow their guide:
So glad there are other mini owners posting here :D
I live near Dufferin and Major Mack, so any recommendations for a groomer in Richmond Hill would be appreciated :) I don't really have an interest in doing it myself. For the $60 I pay the groomer to bathe him, groom his, do his anal glads, pluck his ears and trim his nails, its a good deal. I do in between maintenance on my own by bathing, trimming nails, cleaning ears and combing him.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6790 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
rockthecasbah wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 12:33 pm

Good? Bad? Sketchy?
That maltese cut looks gross.

'sigh' I haven't found a groomer I like yet. Still looking and still horribly disappointed every time. I'm researching how to do it myself to get the style and look I want vs get yucky cuts.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2004
1715 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
amz155 wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 8:23 pm
I live near Dufferin and Major Mack, so any recommendations for a groomer in Richmond Hill would be appreciated :) I don't really have an interest in doing it myself. For the $60 I pay the groomer to bathe him, groom his, do his anal glads, pluck his ears and trim his nails, its a good deal. I do in between maintenance on my own by bathing, trimming nails, cleaning ears and combing him.
do you have any current pix of your dogs groom? up close for the face and his the side profile? I can then try to match you with the groomers that I know of
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4550 posts
253 upvotes
1V4N wrote:
Jun 24th, 2010 9:51 pm
do you have any current pix of your dogs groom? up close for the face and his the side profile? I can then try to match you with the groomers that I know of
Not recent ones, since the last groomer butchered him and I've been waiting months for his eyebrows, beard and coat to grom back in. Still not grown in fully but he's going in for a groom next week. I have older pics but I"ve never posted a pic directly onto a forum so I'm not sure.... :o :confused: :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1772 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback about that grooming place. Guess it's not such a hot deal anymore.
Aug 15, 2010
1 posts
Markham
west wrote:
Jun 17th, 2010 3:38 pm
Groom n Style (Markham Rd and Hwy 7)
- Brought my dog(Yorkie) there yesterday
- It was around $53~ for a full grooming service
- Out of all the places, this place gave him the best cut
- No cages as well, pets were free to walk around
- Extremely friendly staff, I believe there are two groomers that work there
- Will probably be the place I'll bring my dog to from now on

One of the groomers who was there has left to go out on her own. She was the one we really liked the other one is not very friendly.