• Mar 14th, 2017 7:29 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 20, 2008
486 posts
22 upvotes
Vaughan
Dog Idol (formally known as Dog Zone) on Woodbine & 16th

They pretty much know all breeds of dog cuts and did a wonderful job on my shiba inu... other dogs I've seen walked out good looking too

prices are reasonable and the staff was very professional (i think there's only 2 or 3 staff as the owner does everything himself)
Feb 13, 2004
793 posts
134 upvotes
Montreal
In Montreal, I can't speak highly enough of Snip Doggy Dog - yes I admit I chose to go there just because I liked the name :)

We took our goldendoodle to have the hair around her eyes, under her tail and have her nails clipped. They did an amazing job, and it only cost $20 tax in.

I dropped her off at 9am and picked her up at 5pm, when I walked in she was juts chilling with the owner behind the counter, not in a cage or in a small room. I was very pleased and it seems that she was as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
1037 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
chimaera15 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2010 11:07 am
In Montreal, I can't speak highly enough of Snip Doggy Dog - yes I admit I chose to go there just because I liked the name :)

We took our goldendoodle to have the hair around her eyes, under her tail and have her nails clipped. They did an amazing job, and it only cost $20 tax in.

I dropped her off at 9am and picked her up at 5pm, when I walked in she was juts chilling with the owner behind the counter, not in a cage or in a small room. I was very pleased and it seems that she was as well.

That is a good price but too bad not in GTA..
CLICK for more info>>> Shoppers Drug Mart - Invite A Friend Event Thanks everyone for participating!
Sep 11, 2010
1 posts
York Region
dillpickles wrote:
Aug 16th, 2010 7:55 pm
One of the groomers who was there has left to go out on her own. She was the one we really liked the other one is not very friendly.
The groomer you liked can be found at:
http://www.petsarepeopletoo.ca/
She has started her own in-home grooming business.
From her web site:
"Pets are Peope Too provides in-home dog grooming for the Markham and Whitby Ontario areas. Your dog never has to leave the comfort of their house to receive a top quality haircut!
Banned
Apr 27, 2010
6282 posts
443 upvotes
Help me
CharmyPoo wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2010 8:13 pm
For small toy dog breeds, I recommend Puppy Chappy at Yonge and Finch. They are owned by Koreans and they give the cutest cuts. Heck, they even cut my cat and do a great job.

pricing on the cat?
Jul 8, 2010
2 posts
Markham, Ontario
I actually had a negative experience at Groom 'N' Style three weeks ago.

Synopsis of my experience:

My dog got nicked in both ears and got an ear infection while getting groomed at Groom ‘N Style. As a result, my dog had to wear a cone for a week to stop him from scratching the wounds, and take 3 kinds of medication. He lost his interest in food and play for about 4 days and still has scabs three weeks later. Michelle, the owner, refused to take responsibility for the ear infection and said that nicks and razor burn were common when grooming dogs that were matted because they had to cut them close. When I brought him there initially, they said he a “few mats” but later they changed their story and said my dog was “severely matted and severely neglected.” If my dog was severely matted, wouldn’t they have charged me extra? They charged me the basic $50 + HST.

I am extremely unhappy that they had not ONCE apologized for their actions; and in turn, accused me of neglecting my dog. Don’t take your dog there. They will make you sign this waiver form which basically gives them any right to nick or cut your dog, or give them razor burn.

The detailed version:

My experience at Groom ‘N Style was my first and last visit. I took my dog, Charlie to get groomed on Friday, Oct 29, 2010. I informed the stylist I was trying their services because he got an ear infection from his last groomer 3 months ago. They examined Charlie and said he had a few mats, so I had to sign a form agreeing that his hair may be cut short. I asked if there was a surcharge for him being matted, and they said no, it was only a “few” mats.

I picked up Charlie two hours later at closing time. His was shaved very close, and he was shaking his head back and forth. The stylist told me he was shaking his head back and forth because he was probably temporarily irritated by his haircut. I left believing that.

When I got home, I noticed that both his ears got nicked on the underside, and still was shaking his head every 30 seconds or so. I swabbed his ears in case the stylist had gotten any moisture while grooming him. I had his ear medication from three months before, so I gave that to him, thinking it was the start of an ear infection. His condition did not improve over the next 36 hours; in fact, he kept scratching at his nicks and was bleeding more. I put him in the cone to stop further scratching, and called Groom ‘N Style on Sunday. They were closed. Groom ‘N Style returned my call on Monday and I explained the situation: my dog had a cut on the underside of both ears and he had an infection. He still kept shaking his head, he was scratching at his wounds, and he lost interest in eating and playing. I told them he had an ear infection and we were giving him medication that we had on hand. The owner Michelle said she would ask her stylist if she did nick my dog while cutting him, and that they would reimburse me for the veterinarian bill if they had caused the cutting and ear infection.

Charlie’s ear canal became inflamed so we took him to the veterinarian the next morning. The vet said to continue giving the ear infection medication, and to apply hip-cort cream that we already had to soothe his cuts. She also prescribed some pills to stop the itching. Because we already had a couple of the meds, the vet bill only amounted to $70.

I called my vet leaving messages that Groom N’ Style would be in contact with her. My vet left me messages saying that they would be taking Groom N’ Style off their recommended list of groomers.

I brought Charlie with me to Groom ‘N Style to drop off the vet bill on Friday, November 5 and show them his now-large scabs (one week after the grooming). Michelle, the owner said she would have to call the vet to confirm that their grooming had caused his cuts and ear infection. I asked if she asked the stylist about the incident, and she said that her stylist had to cut close because he was “very” matted.

I called Groom ‘N Style a week later on Friday, November 12 since they had not called me back. They said they had called the vet, but they haven’t returned their call. I asked them to call again.

I called Groom ‘N Style on Tuesday, November 15 (they were closed for 3 days), and Michelle said the vet still hadn’t called them back. I said I didn’t believe her because my vet called me back promptly the two times I called her following the visit. Michelle got quite hostile and said, “If you don’t believe me, call the vet yourself and ask the receptionist.” She went on to tell me that the vet bill did not have any medication for an ear infection. The pills that were prescribed is typically for allergies and that maybe Charlie had a pre-existing allergy? I pointed out that he entered their business healthy and left their store with his head shaking. Even the stylist had pointed this symptom out to me when I picked up Charlie. I reminded them that I already had medication on hand for an ear infection and that is why there was no medication on the vet bill for an ear infection. From then, she kept saying I signed the “Matted Dog Release Form” where they cannot be held liable for any nicks, scratches, or razor burns from grooming a matted dog. Michelle went on to now say he was “very matted, very neglected.” I was so stunned that she accused me of neglecting my dog (I brush his coat everyday), I did not know what to say. I asked if it was common practice then for stylists to cut and nick dogs while grooming them. She said it does happen. I said I was going to end communication at this point since she clearly did not want to take responsibility for hurting my dog and if they commonly nick and cut does when grooming them, there’s nothing more I can say.
west wrote:
Jun 17th, 2010 3:38 pm
I see a lot of questions about dog grooming and thought it'd be useful to post all the questions here and hopefully myself or other dog owners will be able to answer your questions here.

Also if you have any recommendation for groomers in the GTA area, feel free to give a quick review here too.

PetsMart (Woodbine and Hwy 7)
- Decent prices
- Quality of service varies because of the different groomers they have
- The area they have for grooming seems to be very limited and they put the dogs in cages after they're done grooming
- Probably will not bring my dog back

A Touch of Love (McCowan and Hwy 7)
- The groomer there is friendly and can be very accommodating
- The place is nice and clean and the service is pretty good
- Pricing wise, the first time it was very good but the second time I brought my dog back they charged me more and never been back since
- The dogs can walk/lay after they're done

Groom n Style (Markham Rd and Hwy 7)
- Brought my dog(Yorkie) there yesterday
- It was around $53~ for a full grooming service
- Out of all the places, this place gave him the best cut
- No cages as well, pets were free to walk around
- Extremely friendly staff, I believe there are two groomers that work there
- Will probably be the place I'll bring my dog to from now on
Dec 4, 2010
26 posts
2 upvotes
markham
Our policy on matted dogs - A waiver must be read and signed before we can strip (or shave short) a matted dog. The waiver states that the owner acknowledges that the coat is matted and/or neglected, and that they are aware of the risks involved in shaving dogs as short as necessary to remove those mats, including skin irritation, minor nicks and stress. The waiver releases Groom ‘n’ Style from any and all responsibility resulting from stripping a matted dog.

"As the business owner, I was very sorry to hear that this puppy suffered irritation after having his matted coat removed at my salon. Although this owner signed our waiver, and and allowed the puppy to scratch his ears and suffer (as described above) for 4 days before seeking medical attention, I have offered to pay the medical bills, IF the pets’ veterinarian would confirm that our salon was responsible for negligence or injury in any way. The owner is aware that I have phoned the veterinarian twice and my call has not been returned as of yet."
Michelle - owner Groom 'n' Style
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14861 posts
804 upvotes
Scarborough
jmmc wrote:
Nov 21st, 2010 11:24 am
My experience at Groom ‘N Style was my first and last visit. I took my dog, Charlie to get groomed on Friday, Oct 29, 2010. I informed the stylist I was trying their services because he got an ear infection from his last groomer 3 months ago. They examined Charlie and said he had a few mats, so I had to sign a form agreeing that his hair may be cut short. I asked if there was a surcharge for him being matted, and they said no, it was only a “few” mats.

you know once is a mistake... twice is coincidence... you just need to try a third groomer and if your dog gets another ear infection, perhaps it's time to take some responsibility for your dog and not let his hair get matted?
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6786 posts
281 upvotes
Ottawa
gnsgroomer wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 9:44 am
Our policy on matted dogs - A waiver must be read and signed before we can strip (or shave short) a matted dog. The waiver states that the owner acknowledges that the coat is matted and/or neglected, and that they are aware of the risks involved in shaving dogs as short as necessary to remove those mats, including skin irritation, minor nicks and stress. The waiver releases Groom ‘n’ Style from any and all responsibility resulting from stripping a matted dog.

"As the business owner, I was very sorry to hear that this puppy suffered irritation after having his matted coat removed at my salon. Although this owner signed our waiver, and and allowed the puppy to scratch his ears and suffer (as described above) for 4 days before seeking medical attention, I have offered to pay the medical bills, IF the pets’ veterinarian would confirm that our salon was responsible for negligence or injury in any way. The owner is aware that I have phoned the veterinarian twice and my call has not been returned as of yet."

I am curious, did you explain to jmmc what that waiver fully entail? If you gave me waiver I probably would go elsewhere if a few matts=shaving the dog down. I am very oppose to groomers that shave dogs down cause they are lazy. Yup, that's how I view groomers that will shave a dog down for a few matts.

Second question, if you're going to come here and defend yourself what do you mean by this "Although this owner signed our waiver, and and allowed the puppy to scratch his ears and suffer (as described above) for 4 days before seeking medical attention"? From my understanding of jmmc's post he/she picked up the pup on a Friday night and the scratching started. Went home and scratching didn't stop so he/she gave the ear infection meds left over from last infection after swabing the ear didn't help. Saturday came and scratching continued. Sunday came and scratching continued so jmmc called you guys but not open so left a voicemail. Monday came and jmmc went to vet to get pup checked out. Vet put the pup on a variety of meds including the leftover ear infection meds.

Situations like this makes me nervous and I don't really care who's at fault here other than the fact that a dog had a infection from a groom. The question remains, did the pup needed to be shaved down?!!
Dec 4, 2010
26 posts
2 upvotes
markham
setell wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 1:23 pm
I am curious, did you explain to jmmc what that waiver fully entail? If you gave me waiver I probably would go elsewhere if a few matts=shaving the dog down. I am very oppose to groomers that shave dogs down cause they are lazy. Yup, that's how I view groomers that will shave a dog down for a few matts.

Second question, if you're going to come here and defend yourself what do you mean by this "Although this owner signed our waiver, and and allowed the puppy to scratch his ears and suffer (as described above) for 4 days before seeking medical attention"? From my understanding of jmmc's post he/she picked up the pup on a Friday night and the scratching started. Went home and scratching didn't stop so he/she gave the ear infection meds left over from last infection after swabing the ear didn't help. Saturday came and scratching continued. Sunday came and scratching continued so jmmc called you guys but not open so left a voicemail. Monday came and jmmc went to vet to get pup checked out. Vet put the pup on a variety of meds including the leftover ear infection meds.

Situations like this makes me nervous and I don't really care who's at fault here other than the fact that a dog had a infection from a groom.
Hi there. Thank you for your questions.
When Charlie arrived at my salon his owner told us that he had recently suffered an ear infection. His ears were very matted, and the rest of him had "a few mats". The whole puppy wasn't shaved short, but his ears were. Also to clarify, his hair was cut on the Friday, and the owner took him to see the vet on the Tuesday.

The bill that was presented to me was for an exam and Vanectyl-P tablets. There was no charge for an ear swab, culture, or any ear medications. I know my own dog is prescribed Vanectyl-P when his allergies are acting up. So I checked on the web and found "Vanectyl-P is used for the relief of itching and inflammation in skin disorders such as dry or moist eczema, non-specific dermatitis, and fungal infections in dogs. It also suppresses coughing."
So, with that bill, I'm not sure if Charlie even had an ear infection, or if it was just irritation from the scratching. I have called the vet (who recommended that this owner come to my salon in the first place) twice. Neither of my calls has been returned. I'm not sure why.
If another puppy in the same condition came in tomorrow, we would not change our routine. We would ask the owner to sign a waiver, and shave the ears short. If a bill is presented from a vet (and this is the first time in the salons history that we have been presented with a vet bill) we would ask to speak with the vet if there were questionable charges on it.
Again, I'm so sorry that Charlie had a negative experience at my salon, but I can not take responsibility for it. If his ears weren't so matted, this may not have been an issue, or maybe it would have. Maybe he has sensitive skin, or suffers from allergies, or has chronic ear problems, or maybe the first ear infection wasn't completely gone before the groom. It's hard to say.
Dec 4, 2010
3 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I was the groomer that groomed Charlie when he came into Groom N Style, perhaps there was a misunderstanding that occured when I was checking Charlie in and out that has resulted in the unhappiness surrounding his groom.

When first checking Charlie in I informed you that although his body was not matted all of his legs as well as his ears were. I allowed you to feel them and pointed them out to you. I said that they would need to be done short and you mentioned that you did not want him to be "pink". I informed you that because of how hard and close the matts were that he may be slightly pink but I would try to leave it as long as possible. I asked you to sign the waiver because of these matts. You were not forced to sign the waiver, you could have left and I would have been fully willing to show you how to brush Charlie at home to help break up the matts yourself. Considering it was Charlies first groom with me and that he was a puppy I gave you the benefit of the doubt in that it was his first time with matts and since he wasn't fully matted on the body but just legs and ears I did not charge you the $70 for this reason. You had also told me that you used to brush him every day but since he had been neutered you had stopped so as to not bother the stitches, which is when the matting could have started.

While being groomed Charlie was very happy and not stressed. I had two other people in the salon when Charlie was done and he was being pet by both of them. They commented on how soft his ears were after being shaved. Neither of them felt or saw any blood or cuts while petting him, nor did I. Which leads me to believe that the "nicks" were caused by scratching and shaking his head. I did inform you when you picked him up that throughout the groom he was shaking, this was before his ears were washed as well as before he was shaved. However, when a dog has matting on the ears it will restrict the blood flow in the capillaries/viens in the ears. When they are shaved, the blood rushes back into the viens which causes some discomfort and may have been the cause of his head shaking. I also kept a piece of his matted fur that stayed in a large clump to show you, hoping that would explain why he had to be short.

I'm sorry that Charlie was uncomfortable, however I'm sure he was more comfortable with the matts no longer pulling on his skin. Perhaps Charlie would benefit from some Allergy testing seeing as this was not the first time you believe that the groomer caused him to get an infection?

-Melissa
Groomer, Groom N Style
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
75 upvotes
PetStylistMel wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 9:39 pm
They commented on how soft his ears were after being shaved. Neither of them felt or saw any blood or cuts while petting him, nor did I. Which leads me to believe that the "nicks" were caused by scratching and shaking his head. I did inform you when you picked him up that throughout the groom he was shaking, this was before his ears were washed as well as before he was shaved. However, when a dog has matting on the ears it will restrict the blood flow in the capillaries/viens in the ears. When they are shaved, the blood rushes back into the viens which causes some discomfort and may have been the cause of his head shaking.

-Melissa
Groomer, Groom N Style

Maybe the dog was shaking his head because he had an EAR INFECTION!

Sign of EAR INFECTION = dog shaking his head

dog owner didn't bring dog to vet until finally he saw blood in dog's ears
(dog was scratching his ear because of ear infection)

ps. maybe you shouldn't let people in your shop pet the dogs after grooming
- their hands could be dirty and germy
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6786 posts
281 upvotes
Ottawa
gnsgroomer wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 7:01 pm
Hi there. Thank you for your questions.
When Charlie arrived at my salon his owner told us that he had recently suffered an ear infection. His ears were very matted, and the rest of him had "a few mats". The whole puppy wasn't shaved short, but his ears were. Also to clarify, his hair was cut on the Friday, and the owner took him to see the vet on the Tuesday.

The bill that was presented to me was for an exam and Vanectyl-P tablets. There was no charge for an ear swab, culture, or any ear medications. I know my own dog is prescribed Vanectyl-P when his allergies are acting up. So I checked on the web and found "Vanectyl-P is used for the relief of itching and inflammation in skin disorders such as dry or moist eczema, non-specific dermatitis, and fungal infections in dogs. It also suppresses coughing."
So, with that bill, I'm not sure if Charlie even had an ear infection, or if it was just irritation from the scratching. I have called the vet (who recommended that this owner come to my salon in the first place) twice. Neither of my calls has been returned. I'm not sure why.
If another puppy in the same condition came in tomorrow, we would not change our routine. We would ask the owner to sign a waiver, and shave the ears short. If a bill is presented from a vet (and this is the first time in the salons history that we have been presented with a vet bill) we would ask to speak with the vet if there were questionable charges on it.
eh you GOOGLED the drugs the pup was prescribed and came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary for a ear infection? Since when did you become so knowledgable with canine drug prescribing? I think you should thank the lucky stars that jmmc had on hand the ear medication left over from the last infections or things could have gone a lot worse instead of you fighting over a $70 vet bill!
gnsgroomer wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 7:01 pm
Again, I'm so sorry that Charlie had a negative experience at my salon, but I can not take responsibility for it. If his ears weren't so matted, this may not have been an issue, or maybe it would have. Maybe he has sensitive skin, or suffers from allergies, or has chronic ear problems, or maybe the first ear infection wasn't completely gone before the groom. It's hard to say.
You know what, I gave you guys the benefit of the doubt at the beginning but after this post I will make sure I don't go to your salon when I am in TO and tells friends not to go too. I really don't like any salon owner or groomer not taking even partial responsibility of any problems that a dog may have after a groom. I can't speak for others but your decision to keep defending yourself is giving me a very bad impression of you.
PetStylistMel wrote:
I was the groomer that groomed Charlie when he came into Groom N Style, perhaps there was a misunderstanding that occured when I was checking Charlie in and out that has resulted in the unhappiness surrounding his groom.

When first checking Charlie in I informed you that although his body was not matted all of his legs as well as his ears were. I allowed you to feel them and pointed them out to you. I said that they would need to be done short and you mentioned that you did not want him to be "pink". I informed you that because of how hard and close the matts were that he may be slightly pink but I would try to leave it as long as possible. I asked you to sign the waiver because of these matts. You were not forced to sign the waiver, you could have left and I would have been fully willing to show you how to brush Charlie at home to help break up the matts yourself. Considering it was Charlies first groom with me and that he was a puppy I gave you the benefit of the doubt in that it was his first time with matts and since he wasn't fully matted on the body but just legs and ears I did not charge you the $70 for this reason. You had also told me that you used to brush him every day but since he had been neutered you had stopped so as to not bother the stitches, which is when the matting could have started.
WOW! Benefit of the doubt? 'sigh' I guess I'm a bad dog owner then as my dog has a lot of matts I can't keep up with and I groom him daily. If any groomer gave me attitude like that well you can bet I never go back and make sure family and friends know about it! So before you accuse anybody of neglecting their dog you should really be careful how you word things on the internet!
PetStylistMel wrote:
While being groomed Charlie was very happy and not stressed. I had two other people in the salon when Charlie was done and he was being pet by both of them. They commented on how soft his ears were after being shaved. Neither of them felt or saw any blood or cuts while petting him, nor did I. Which leads me to believe that the "nicks" were caused by scratching and shaking his head. I did inform you when you picked him up that throughout the groom he was shaking, this was before his ears were washed as well as before he was shaved. However, when a dog has matting on the ears it will restrict the blood flow in the capillaries/viens in the ears. When they are shaved, the blood rushes back into the viens which causes some discomfort and may have been the cause of his head shaking. I also kept a piece of his matted fur that stayed in a large clump to show you, hoping that would explain why he had to be short.

-Melissa
Groomer, Groom N Style
Geeze I wonder if my groomer do that since I don't like other people petting my dog. I don't let anybody on our walks pet my dog no matter how cute they think he is. Only the inconsiderate people don't ask for permission first before petting my dog! Gross hands gross me out and my dog is clean!