Pets

Official Dog Grooming & Groomer Recommendations Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2017 7:29 pm
Tags:
None
Newbie
Feb 10, 2006
10 posts
gnsgroomer wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 9:44 am
The waiver releases Groom ‘n’ Style from any and all responsibility resulting from stripping a matted dog.
Waivers are referred to as SOME evidence in the laws of contracts and tort. It is considered a "second contract" entered into between parties (ie: shave my matted dog = no liability). However, there is a "primary contract" between patron and business owner (you are responsible for my dog while he is in your care). So your waiver may exculpate you in contract law but you can still be liable for negligence that occurred in your care - regardless of waiver as you could be negligent for the basic grooming procedure that has NOTHING TO DO WITH SHAVING. The dog being in YOUR CARE can be considered mere grounds for possible liability. Basically, don't throw in the word "any and all responsibility" if it cannot be factually legal.
gnsgroomer wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 9:44 am
"Although this owner signed our waiver, and and allowed the puppy to scratch his ears and suffer (as described above) for 4 days before seeking medical attention, I have offered to pay the medical bills, IF the pets’ veterinarian would confirm that our salon was responsible for negligence or injury in any way."
Negligence law: the waiver is only SOME evidence, persuasive evidence but does not remove liability completely. You are implying that the owner, as described above, was possibly negligent. Doesn't matter. Contributory negligence only reduces possible compensation by 25%. You are still liable for the 75%. Does not matter that the owner brought the dog home and did not seek attention for 4 days. If every person who ever became sick/injured etc had to seek attention RIGHT AWAY as you imply, there would be NO POINT in the law of negligence.

Lastly, while I commend your poor stylist for coming online to try to defend one self, I think it is poor taste to attack a dog owner behind a waiver argument (which I already commented was weak at best). I would stay off the boards. Felt it necessary to respond as you clearly show no signs of responsibility for POSSIBLE harm that may be caused. You say sorry but you really mean "you better not sue me."

MS
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 6, 2009
2776 posts
430 upvotes
Aurora, ON
If you're too lazy to properly comb your dog THOROUGHLY...then don't expect a grooming establishment to do it for you. I groom my own dogs and yes, I sometimes have matting to deal with because, unlike most of you, I don't comb daily. If I get too lazy and let the mats build up - it can take a few hours in the evening with a dematting tool to gently remove them. I completely understand that a professional groomer can not take the hours necessary to coax out a mat - so they shave them off..and a close shave will cause razor burn...but an ear infection? Surely that was a preexisting condition - possibly Charlie has a chronic problem and the shop did you a favor by removing excess hair and letting more air into the ear canal.
If a dog is matted it is the OWNERS reponsibility to comb them out. It's your dog...comb it. If you can't be bothered to comb it - buy a short haired.
Newbie
Dec 4, 2010
3 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
setell wrote:
Dec 5th, 2010 11:46 pm
eh you GOOGLED the drugs the pup was prescribed and came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary for a ear infection? Since when did you become so knowledgable with canine drug prescribing? I think you should thank the lucky stars that jmmc had on hand the ear medication left over from the last infections or things could have gone a lot worse instead of you fighting over a $70 vet bill!

WOW! Benefit of the doubt? 'sigh' I guess I'm a bad dog owner then as my dog has a lot of matts I can't keep up with and I groom him daily. If any groomer gave me attitude like that well you can bet I never go back and make sure family and friends know about it! So before you accuse anybody of neglecting their dog you should really be careful how you word things on the internet!


Geeze I wonder if my groomer do that since I don't like other people petting my dog. I don't let anybody on our walks pet my dog no matter how cute they think he is. Only the inconsiderate people don't ask for permission first before petting my dog! Gross hands gross me out and my dog is clean!

Both Michelle and myself have worked in vet clinics, I currently work part time in one and both of us are aware of what the drugs are used for. No googling needed.

I'm not really sure how the wording of "benefit of a doubt" would be taken as attitude when written on a forum but a first time matted dog is different in my opinion then a dog that comes in consistently matted. I thought it was fair to charge only the $50 considering the owner herself said that she hadn't kept up on the brushing because of the neutering. If Charlies body had been matted as well, I would have charged the $70 or if it was the second or third time being completely matted.

As for allowing people to pet Charlie, one of the people was an employee and another a close friend, not random strangers.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 13, 2005
6783 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa
jackie999 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 2:32 pm
If you're too lazy to properly comb your dog THOROUGHLY...then don't expect a grooming establishment to do it for you. I groom my own dogs and yes, I sometimes have matting to deal with because, unlike most of you, I don't comb daily. If I get too lazy and let the mats build up - it can take a few hours in the evening with a dematting tool to gently remove them. I completely understand that a professional groomer can not take the hours necessary to coax out a mat - so they shave them off..and a close shave will cause razor burn...but an ear infection? Surely that was a preexisting condition - possibly Charlie has a chronic problem and the shop did you a favor by removing excess hair and letting more air into the ear canal.
If a dog is matted it is the OWNERS reponsibility to comb them out. It's your dog...comb it. If you can't be bothered to comb it - buy a short haired.
I know for a general groom there is no time for de-matting but I expect the salon/groomer to offer the option of paying extra to do de-matting. I don't like groomers or salons that don't offer this. They can charge more as it takes longer but to flat out deny you is wrong IMO. I guess I don't like those groomers because I can brush daily but hell I spend an hour to get rid of one matt and by the next morning two more appears! At times as a dog owner it seems I am in a losing battle for my dog. I wonder if my standard of a groomer is too high hence I can't find one I like locally.
PetStylistMel wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 2:40 pm
Both Michelle and myself have worked in vet clinics, I currently work part time in one and both of us are aware of what the drugs are used for. No googling needed.
The bill that was presented to me was for an exam and Vanectyl-P tablets. There was no charge for an ear swab, culture, or any ear medications. I know my own dog is prescribed Vanectyl-P when his allergies are acting up. So I checked on the web and found "Vanectyl-P is used for the relief of itching and inflammation in skin disorders such as dry or moist eczema, non-specific dermatitis, and fungal infections in dogs. It also suppresses coughing."
I think you should re-read what Michelle wrote as she explicitly said she checked the web. Clearly she isn't as knowledgeable about canine drugs as you think she do.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14816 posts
788 upvotes
Scarborough
So far this thread has turned into some form of epic fail.

The biggest victim is Charlie. His owner is also a victim. The salon is also a victim. But the biggest victim is Charlie.

Charlie needs a better owner who will take care of his coat so it doesn't become mat.
He also needs a better owner who will help him stay ear infection free. Perhaps where his owner bought Charlie from has to do with the health genetics of Charlie also.
He also needs a better owner who will take him to a good salon when his coat does get mat.
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Newbie
Dec 4, 2010
3 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
setell wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 4:15 pm
I know for a general groom there is no time for de-matting but I expect the salon/groomer to offer the option of paying extra to do de-matting. I don't like groomers or salons that don't offer this. They can charge more as it takes longer but to flat out deny you is wrong IMO. I guess I don't like those groomers because I can brush daily but hell I spend an hour to get rid of one matt and by the next morning two more appears! At times as a dog owner it seems I am in a losing battle for my dog. I wonder if my standard of a groomer is too high hence I can't find one I like locally.
Some matts can brush out. However, some matts (like what Charlie had) would take hours upon hours. I have worked in grooming establishments where I was required to dematt dogs and in my opinion it is cruel and that is why I left. I will not hurt a dog by brushing him if he comes in matted to the skin. I'm confident in my ability to judge what can be humanely brushed out and what should be shaved and in Charlies case, shaving was the only option.
Member
Nov 17, 2005
204 posts
16 upvotes
Rchmond Hill
wow this thread derailed. I was hoping to find some good recommendations in the Thornhill/Richmond Hill area.
Member
Nov 22, 2009
427 posts
46 upvotes
Markham Ontario
The "new" petsmart on Elgin Mills and Leslie has been very good.

I have had my Westie and Golden Doodle groomed there 3-4 times each and we have not had anything to complain about.

Christine (the "head groomer"?) is who we ask to do the Westie as she has always done a very good job on him.
Member
May 30, 2010
255 posts
15 upvotes
Richmond Hill
We took both our Pekingese here to have them trimmed... one week apart..Kristine is a very warm and kind person who took her time with them..resulting in a wonderful job... The price will surprise you... more economical than many other places..


bwield wrote:
Mar 16th, 2011 1:56 pm
The "new" petsmart on Elgin Mills and Leslie has been very good.

I have had my Westie and Golden Doodle groomed there 3-4 times each and we have not had anything to complain about.

Christine (the "head groomer"?) is who we ask to do the Westie as she has always done a very good job on him.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
1037 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
rdha wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2011 9:44 pm
We took both our Pekingese here to have them trimmed... one week apart..Kristine is a very warm and kind person who took her time with them..resulting in a wonderful job... The price will surprise you... more economical than many other places..


In general Petsmart's prices for grooming is cheaper than many smaller grooming businesses but its a hit or miss as you always get different groomers and sometimes even beginners. Will bring in my dog to the Petsmart at this location some time soon.
CLICK for more info>>> Shoppers Drug Mart - Invite A Friend Event Thanks everyone for participating!
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
155 upvotes
actng wrote:
Dec 6th, 2010 4:50 pm
So far this thread has turned into some form of epic fail.

The biggest victim is Charlie. His owner is also a victim. The salon is also a victim. But the biggest victim is Charlie.

Charlie needs a better owner who will take care of his coat so it doesn't become mat.
He also needs a better owner who will help him stay ear infection free. Perhaps where his owner bought Charlie from has to do with the health genetics of Charlie also.
He also needs a better owner who will take him to a good salon when his coat does get mat.

Haha I totally agree.

Dog had an infection from first grooming, fine.. Then switched groomers, and dog got another infection.
Let me bet, after switching to a third groomer, he gets another infection.


Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The problem is with the dog and the owner, not the groomers.


Owner probably just tries to get free vet services by pursuing for damages from each groomer once a year, so he can get his annual check-up. Watch in another year, the poster posts that another groomer messed up, and paid for poor Charlie's bills.

Its like the epic....I slipped on your floor in your store, and now want $10,000 or I'll sue.
Member
Apr 2, 2007
363 posts
Markham/Richmond Hil…
Hi everyone,

been reading this thread and wanted to say I have been to many different groomers as I am a first time dog owner (Mini Schnauzer). Petsmart was okay (Hwy7 and Woodbine) but they always told me my dog was perfect this and that, pretty quick in and out kinda thing. That changed now that I stumbled uptown Wooftown which is close to the petsmart at Lesle and Elgin Mills http://www.woof-town.com/

She has helped me learn to brush my dogs teeth, clean his ears and tips on grooming to ensure he doesn't matt up. Michelle also offers handstripping service for my dog Pocky and he always looks great coming back.. price for everything is usually around $70 bux and includes day care if brought in during the week. I leave Pocky there for day care usually 2 - 3 days a week.
Sr. Member
Aug 4, 2010
898 posts
43 upvotes
0
Can anyone recommend somewhere in Ottawa where I can get my dog's fur shaved? She is in complete agony (or so I think) and I'd like to have her shaved this Summer. It's already 30 degrees with the humidex and I can't imagine how it will be at 30 degrees without the humidex.

Thanks very much,

Chuck

P.S. Anyone tried shaving their dog(s) themselves?

Top