None
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2776 posts
430 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Chuckled wrote:
May 20th, 2011 7:44 pm
Can anyone recommend somewhere in Ottawa where I can get my dog's fur shaved? She is in complete agony (or so I think) and I'd like to have her shaved this Summer. It's already 30 degrees with the humidex and I can't imagine how it will be at 30 degrees without the humidex.

Thanks very much,

Chuck

P.S. Anyone tried shaving their dog(s) themselves?
You didn't mention what breed your dog is. My mini schnauzers are clippered throughout the summer..in the winter I try and leave the coat longish but use a love2pet rake to remove some of the undercoat that schnauzers have. I'm not sure what you'd pay in a 'pet salon' for a full coat shave ...checkout renspets for prices on clippers/blades to do it yourself.
Aug 4, 2010
898 posts
43 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
May 20th, 2011 8:23 pm
You didn't mention what breed your dog is. My mini schnauzers are clippered throughout the summer..in the winter I try and leave the coat longish but use a love2pet rake to remove some of the undercoat that schnauzers have. I'm not sure what you'd pay in a 'pet salon' for a full coat shave ...checkout renspets for prices on clippers/blades to do it yourself.

Sorry. My pooch is a big beagle mutt... cross between a beagle and a husky. She's about 110 lbs (weighs more than me, lol!!!) and is struggling with keeping her breath. She is always panting and I'm wondering if this is a result of her obesity and/or the length of her fur coat. I am not responsible for her feeding but I am now addressing this issue with a high protein/high fat, low carb diet! Anyway that's veering away from the topic at hand, which is getting her shaved!

You're not sure what a salon charges, does that mean you clipper your dogs yourself? What type of an investment are we talking? I have a pair of conair clippers that I use for myself but I don't think they're sharp enough to shear her without tugging her fur out. I want it as painless as possible!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2776 posts
430 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Any clipper under $100 is too 'light weight' for a dogs coat IMHO. I imagine you'd be looking at >$200 for a good clipper and blade. My Oster A5 was a little over $100 20 years ago and it still works as good as the day I bought it. My dogs need clipping every few months ..and to have that done at a shop would likely cost me $80 (two dogs)..just guessing here because I've never had them done in a shop.
I don't know much about Huskies - do some reading before you decide to shave her ( http://www.siberrescue.com/Flsibes.htm ) ...I would be more concerned with the weight problem.
Aug 4, 2010
898 posts
43 upvotes
jackie999 wrote:
May 21st, 2011 11:31 am
Any clipper under $100 is too 'light weight' for a dogs coat IMHO. I imagine you'd be looking at >$200 for a good clipper and blade. My Oster A5 was a little over $100 20 years ago and it still works as good as the day I bought it. My dogs need clipping every few months ..and to have that done at a shop would likely cost me $80 (two dogs)..just guessing here because I've never had them done in a shop.
I don't know much about Huskies - do some reading before you decide to shave her ( http://www.siberrescue.com/Flsibes.htm ) ...I would be more concerned with the weight problem.
I'm afraid this is my dog's last Summer... considering the investment of over $100+ I think I will have her professionally sheared to spare her discomfort.

Thank you,

Chuck
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
6931 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
any more updated locations in scarborough-markham-richmond hill?
The petsmart sounds good but keep hearing its a hit or miss with the groomers.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
12892 posts
8253 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote:
Jun 28th, 2011 10:52 pm
I took my beagle/mutt mix for her first grooming ever at this site.

Fab Fido
71 Underhill Drive,
Donwood Plaza,
M3A 2J8

647-350-0350

i had a group deal for it . the staff were amazing! they spent over 2hrs cleaning my dog and getting rid of her excess fur. she looked totally different afterward and is much more comfortable now in hot weather. definitely would recommend them even without a discount coupon.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Sep 8, 2009
60 posts
Took my dog a place call Puppy Love Grooming on highway 7 close to mainstreet, Place is clean and they don't crate their dogs there.
Went away for 2 weeks left my dog ( Chico ) there for boarding. Rates was pretty good $48 +tax. My dog is a shitzui.
My experience was good.

Anyone else been there before ?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2003
4939 posts
96 upvotes
I have been grooming my Shih-Tzu on my own and it's usually a full week process. I just take my time but I'm lucky as my dog knows it's grooming time and stays in one spot for me. She knows she gets a treat once we are done. :) I usually do a full combing first to get most of the knots out and it makes it a lot easier to go through with the clipper. The hard part is always the legs as they get knotted really easily. So I usually take my time on that part and scissors are needed for this. I think it's time to get a new clipper though as the one I have been using is getting worn out. I will most likely get a good one for around $200 as it will most likely make my life easier based on what people have posted on this thread.

The only part that I have issues with is clipping the nails. I'm always afraid of cutting too short and cause it to bleed so I usually leave it a little bit longer.

Also for bathing, I have several towels that I use to make sure to towel dry first and it makes the blow drying much easier. I have also been looking for a good shampoo for her. I have tried several brands and even bought an overpriced "Vet recommended" shampoo from her vet at a high price. All of them didn't really do a good job. However, I got a hold of this Pet Health Hypoallergenic shampoo which I used recently and was very impressed with it. It totally outdid the expensive one I bought and is made of natural ingredients. Smelled quite nice too.

Before I had kids, she was basically my baby. I groomed her every single night as I grew her hair long like the show dogs. I had 5 different combs that I used to keep her hair knot free. But once we got kids, I just didn't have the time but maybe she's happier with the short hair. :)

Ariel Portrait by GunnerX, on Flickr
This space for rent.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
19058 posts
1378 upvotes
trixR4kids wrote:
Jun 28th, 2011 10:52 pm
hey trixy....

I also recommend the Petsmart in Richmond Hill on High Tech/Bayview...but I only recommend Jacqueline as she has been grooming our puppy for almost 1 yr now..

Jacqueline gets booked up very quickly, so plan out 1 month in advance to book her...that is what I have been doing and no problems....

Jacqueline takes her time...spent over 2hrs grooming our puppy (this includes bathing but I don't think she is the one that bathes the dogs)...I opted for premium groom package and it came out to $75+ all in..

Our puppy is a Havanese/poodle mix and we brush her on a regular basis...
Dec 31, 2006
521 posts
20 upvotes
I take my dog to Poochie's Paradise, it's around 9th Line and Bur Oak.

Jane does great work and is good with my dog.
May 30, 2010
255 posts
15 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The caliber and workmanship of her helper/assistant leaves a lot to be desired...

ray90 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2012 3:15 pm
I take my dog to Poochie's Paradise, it's around 9th Line and Bur Oak.

Jane does great work and is good with my dog.
Feb 28, 2012
1 posts
I just brought my dog home from Sinply Grooming in Markham, they work out of their home and did a wonderful job on my Schnoodle. I always ask for a puppy cut body and schnauzer face and not many people ever get it right!
Jul 27, 2007
8 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
Anyone know of a good place in rexdale-mississauga, I have tried a few different Petsmarts and it really is a hit and miss.
Mar 29, 2009
367 posts
22 upvotes
GTA
I am in St. Catharines, and seeking a professional groomer for a under 10 lb. long hair small white dog. thanks.

I did find an excellent pro groomer but in NiagaraFalls. I have been going there for bout 6 months now. reasonable prices and top shelf work. pm me, if you want a referral.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3566 posts
413 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Can anyone recommend a competent groomer in Richmond Hill? My usual one is on vacation. Expect to pay around $50. I have a mid size shih tzu mix. CAn be an in-house one as long as its a clean place.

TIA
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum