Green / Eco-Friendly

The OFFICIAL E-bike(electric)/green discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 8:49 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2008
1 posts
Most ebikes are so cheaply made. The batteries won't last, plastic is disposable. Every retailer knows it's a hot item, they just want to make the sale of the flimsy junk. Every one that I rode rattle and shuddered, they are all death machines. The poor quality of the batteries will only last you half a year if you're lucky. I heard some people bought it new, rode it 2-3 blocks and the battery died, even though it was fully charged. I'm glad I never bought any of this crap, better off to spend my $ on my cars. Trust me, buy a ebike and you'll most likely regret it. Throw your $1700 my way instead of out the window. :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I'd have to say that I'm very skeptical about ebikes...a friend of mine purchased one in Ottawa last year and the battery has already been replaced. Unfortunately, it seems that the charger is problem now. Plain garbage from what I can tell.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11961 posts
1734 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Someone told me their bike's battery died and they had to pedal home, which was a task since the tires are small and there's only one(?) gear.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Disagreed with above 3 posters. Not all ebikes are cheap crap; however, be prepared to shell out some serious dough in $2000-$2500 range for a quality ebike that will last. The key here is to be realistic with how much these things are supposed to cost given the stage of developement this market is in and volume of production.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Actually, my Ottawa friend did pay around 2 grand (or was it more?) for hers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15888 posts
596 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
with the recent state of the economy these things are now more pratical. I should go repair mine.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Mar 9, 2009
6 posts
Guelph
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote:
Feb 15th, 2009 8:43 am
with the recent state of the economy these things are now more pratical. I should go repair mine.

Yes you should go repair your bike!!

Fact is they are a growing section of the E powered bike world. Add to the fact 2009 is the deadline for the Ontario Government to set final rules.

There is a push on to Unite E-Bikers and rally this summer some time at Queens Park. In the hope Ontario follows most of the rest of Canada and leaves the Scooter Style in as an option for people who want it.

1000 E-Bikes at Queens Park HQ
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46587480126

Plus there are a few groups growing on facebook of Scooter Style E-Bike fans.

I love my bike, and I work with a group of guys who mainly ride Hog's, I mean guys who would drink whiskey from a broken glass.

I took alot of guff about my ride, but after they saw it does not bug me as to their opinion of a scooter, it's now just a fun thing, plus it helps I joke with them about me doing a custom job to it and giving it a West Coast style :D
They fall over when I say I will add long forks and a wide arse back tire.

Plus it's just down right fun to pass by a Gas pump and thumb your nose at the price of gas !!!!!!!

My Baby......can't wait for CT to put the saddle bags on sale again!!!!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/ ... XPh004.jpg[/IMG]
Apr 21, 2007
1 posts
Markham
Getting a good quality ebike doesn't have to cost a fortune. Consider the below components mostly from ebikes.ca, exluding the batteries charger and bike itself. No I don't work for them. :cheesygri

$330 Crystalyte 400 series hub motor.
$160 24 volt - 72 volt controller.
$18 throttle.
$120 3 x 12 volt 10 amp hour sealed lead acid batteries.
$100 36 volt 2.5 amp charger
$100 generic mountain bike

$828 total + shipping + tax

What that'll get you is a very capable ebike that'll go a top speed around 32 kph at a distance between 15 and 20 kms when running 36 volts. You could easily add batteries to increase your range or your top speed. Not to mention it's pretty stealthy and silent most people won't even realize the difference between a regular bike and an ebike with a hub motor.

I bought a kit like the above last summer and it really is a lot of fun. Prior to getting the kit I hadn't been on a bike for years. It's a great excuse to get outside and enjoy the weather.

Just wait until gas prices sky rocket up again these things will probably get a whole lot popular in the near future.
Mar 9, 2009
6 posts
Guelph
0p0rat0r wrote:
Mar 30th, 2009 5:36 pm
Getting a good quality ebike doesn't have to cost a fortune. Consider the below components mostly from ebikes.ca, exluding the batteries charger and bike itself. No I don't work for them. :cheesygri

$18 throttle.

What that'll get you is a very capable ebike that'll go a top speed around 32 kph at a distance between 15 and 20 kms when running 36 volts. You could easily add batteries to increase your range or your top speed. Not to mention it's pretty stealthy and silent most people won't even realize the difference between a regular bike and an ebike with a hub motor.

I bought a kit like the above last summer and it really is a lot of fun. Prior to getting the kit I hadn't been on a bike for years. It's a great excuse to get outside and enjoy the weather.

Just wait until gas prices sky rocket up again these things will probably get a whole lot popular in the near future.

A good point, for people who can Mod their own bike, however for the non-handy person there is also bikes pre built with almost the same type of equipment.
Canadian Tire, Wal Mart, Costco all have traditional style peddle bike with electric assist.
Canadian Tire E-Bike

Now I can't speak to the quality of them, but it's just another option.

Anything that gets you into the great outdoors and sunshine/fresh air no matter if it's to get to work or to a park, it's a good thing!!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14530 posts
989 upvotes
Markham
i don't know much about ebikes... but that Canadian Tire eBike is DAMNED HEAVY

even with the option to peddle, i'd rather use electric all the time since it would take so much more effort to ride that thing (vs. my regular hybrid)
ShadowVlican
Mar 9, 2009
6 posts
Guelph
ShadowVlican wrote:
Apr 1st, 2009 12:31 am
i don't know much about ebikes... but that Canadian Tire eBike is DAMNED HEAVY

even with the option to peddle, i'd rather use electric all the time since it would take so much more effort to ride that thing (vs. my regular hybrid)
I didn't know that...I wonder if the walmart and costco bikes are also a tad bloated. I've never even gone in to see them, I just know they are available.

The few times I've had to peddle my bike ( almost as much weight as a gas scooter), it was not that much of a challange. It was a low battery/steep hill thing, so to assist the motor I peddled like a mad man. The hill seemed to me almost 40 degree and with the 1 granny gear I made it.

However my style is designed to be used under battery power 99% of the time......50 KM range.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2813 posts
25 upvotes
0p0rat0r wrote:
Mar 30th, 2009 5:36 pm

$18 throttle.

I built one from a kit last year for < $700, which includes buying a used hybrid bike. A bit heavy, not nearly as heavy as one of those schwinn bikes tho. I will probably upgrade to a lithium battery after the 3X12v lead batteries from last year die. They still seem to work pretty well. I took very good care of them making sure not to run them too low and charging them immediately after use and keeping them charged in the winter. I got a good amount of use last year and think it may be one of the best purchases I've ever made. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to shell out for a new lithium battery battery but it would reduce the weight 5 -8 lbs.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15888 posts
596 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
CSR wrote:
Jun 8th, 2009 12:18 pm
Can the OP please remove the word "Bicycle" from the title of this thread, as this thread clearly has a stronger focus on E-bikes.

There is another comprehensive cycling thread around.

Thanks.
done.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉